996 GT3 Purchase

2 hours ago, firstone said:

They should, they're both big ticket items ATM.

All the marketing hype is been done.

Yeah, they were laughed at for many years when they used to say that their cars were their quasi-superannuation ..... now they’re looking pretty damn clever (& had the joy of owning & driving some great cars along the way!)

Buying a low k car seems crazy to me, particularly when you are talking a 20 year old thing. Yes, it may look shinier cosmetically, but it doesn't mean it is actually a better car. These things are made to be driven and work better when they do. In my thinking save some money on something well maintained with some k's. You won't worry as much about putting a few more on it and actually enjoy it, then sell it for a similar discount when it is time to move on. Win win win! 

Or you can pay a premium for an immaculate low k example, that you are paranoid about driving because you may do something to devalue it and never actually get to enjoy it...

8 minutes ago, MFX said:

Buying a low k car seems crazy to me, particularly when you are talking a 20 year old thing. Yes, it may look shinier cosmetically, but it doesn't mean it is actually a better car. These things are made to be driven and work better when they do. In my thinking save some money on something well maintained with some k's. You won't worry as much about putting a few more on it and actually enjoy it, then sell it for a similar discount when it is time to move on. Win win win! 

Or you can pay a premium for an immaculate low k example, that you are paranoid about driving because you may do something to devalue it and never actually get to enjoy it...

Agree entirely Jeff, my point exactly.  And my 20 yo, 121000km car still looks pretty shiny too 🙂 

I've owned my 996.2 GT3 for a couple of years now and don't get to drive it that often. But the first time I took it to the track I discovered that the car was so much more than I could ever have wished for. I hope to keep it and enjoy it for a long time to come, regardless of which way the price moves.

On 17/08/2020 at 13:52, Rick V said:

Black 996.2 GT3 circa $173K no longer on carsales?  Sold?  Withdrawn?

Anyone on here?

Spoke to the dealer/seller today. 

This Black 996GT3 has definitely sold. 

Very good result at that price range ($173k) for a non CS..! 

Yeah $173K is up there, but I have noticed UK prices seem to have moved up in last 6 months, particularly for lower mileage .2 examples.  Maybe a result of more 996 GT3 articles/videos circulating in recent times?

12 hours ago, Rick V said:

but I have noticed UK prices seem to have moved up in last 6 months, particularly for lower mileage .2 examples.  

The same looks to be happening in the US / Canada too, even in these uncertain times. There's a couple of interesting discussions going on on the Renlist forums regarding pricing of .2 GT3's -  the majority for sale there seem to be ex track cars with their corresponding problems of being a near 17 - 20 year old car that's been through multiple owners, seen many hours at redline and lots of mods.

It look like finding a non modified .2 car in North America is getting more and more difficult which - assuming you want an original no stories car - pushes the pricing up towards the $US 80k-90k (+/-$A130k) for a good example. That's expensive in the US !!

As one of the forum contributors said "if I sell mine, what am I going to replace it with?".  

This is similar reasoning pushing up industrial land prices. No one wants to sell unless they an replace it with something of better value. Hence plenty of buyers, but land owners are reluctant to sell as there is very little on the market to replace their asset with. As a consequence land prices continue to increase. Interesting to see the similarities with these particular cars.

On 18/08/2020 at 21:15, Rick V said:

@SFZOOM has the new baby arrived yet?!?

@Rick V not yet sadly..... the current owner is happy to hold the car for me until I can travel from Sydney to Melbourne to collect it. I am learning a new level of patience whilst I wait for the current COVID situation to pass 😅......it has improve at some point!

40 minutes ago, SFZOOM said:

@Rick V not yet sadly..... the current owner is happy to hold the car for me until I can travel from Sydney to Melbourne to collect it. I am learning a new level of patience whilst I wait for the current COVID situation to pass 😅......it has improve at some point!

I hope you’ve got enough sanitiser! 

1 hour ago, SFZOOM said:

Wow, that would really test me..... putting money down on a new toy and not being able to get my hands on it!!  Trucking it up an option?

11 hours ago, SFZOOM said:

the current COVID situation to pass 😅......it has improve at some point!

Hey Zoom wotcha gonna do if the lockdown lasts 'till next year - IF we get a vaccine by then?? 😱 This virus ain't going away soon???

Maybe you can sit at home, look at the picture of the car and make vroom vroom (or zoom zoom) noises sitting in your empty garage....🙄

4 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Hey Zoom wotcha gonna do if the lockdown lasts 'till next year - IF we get a vaccine by then?? 😱 This virus ain't going away soon???

Maybe you can sit at home, look at the picture of the car and make vroom vroom (or zoom zoom) noises sitting in your empty garage....🙄

I'm sure some us could do a recording of the real thing, just to tease Zoom a little bit more.......

14 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

I am ok.....I still have my 987 Cayman S in the garage. 😁.   I got a quote for door to door delivery in an enclosed trailer it was just under $2K. I am not sure the owner could drop the car at a nearby CEVA depot now anyhow, not with the 5km from hone rule in metro Melbourne? 

I am glass half full..... COVID lockdowns will have to end before we have a vaccine....if we want to have an economy left!

Anyhow I am kinda looking forward to the road trip.....and the current owner is in no rush at the moment.

50 minutes ago, tomo said:

Love a Red GT3. Maybe my favourite colour of all. 

Got rather excited when I saw the Ad myself a couple of weeks ago, based on kms and price, but I believe this is a LHD originally delivered in Germany.  Also, has had a few mods, aftermarket Carbon buckets installed, etc, but car looks very good if someone is ok with a LHD.

31 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Love a Red GT3. Maybe my favourite colour of all. 

Got rather excited when I saw the Ad myself a couple of weeks ago, based on kms and price, but I believe this is a LHD originally delivered in Germany.  Also, has had a few mods, aftermarket Carbon buckets installed, etc, but car looks very good if someone is ok with a LHD.

Just reading the blurb at Brooklands classic cars, Sounds like there could be a poblem with rego for some reason,  or is that because that itsLHD And Not 25 year old ?

1 hour ago, tomo said:

Just reading the blurb at Brooklands classic cars, Sounds like there could be a poblem with rego for some reason,  or is that because that itsLHD And Not 25 year old ?

Would think so.  That's why I sold my LHD GT3 as it was too difficult to get registered.  I could have got in under the rally rego, but permitted use was too restrictive to allow enjoyable use