996 GT3 Purchase

12 minutes ago, Jason A said:

I think the interior cut off switch and extinguisher were supplied in a box - they did come std on club sport.

You just needed to ask the dealer to fit it

From my research that's is how it went.

All 003 Clubsport (or RS) were supplied with cut-off switch, and fitting was left up to the customer's choice.  

8 minutes ago, Cam Arnott said:

I wonder if this is the same black Mk1 that Autohaus had a couple of months ago? 

On another note does anyone with a MK1 have option codes 09981 and 09991 in their book?

Actually, I think you might be right.  From memory there was some discussion about whether it was a genuine CS given some inconsistencies in specs.

And yes Cam, I have 09981 and 09991.  I'm not sure I ever deciphered what they meant

1 minute ago, RwGreeny said:

I know which ones you’re talking about now. They aren’t option codes 09981 means it was removed from the production line and taken to a different factory and 09991 means it was part of the Porsche exclusive program.

Just did a search and came up with this from a GB forum

09991 = Means the car has an option from the Sonderwunsch Programm, now called Exclusive. It can range from a full leather interior with even the radio dials in leather to for instance your XD4 code: Porsche crest rim caps.

I believe that cars with 09991 stayed on the normal production line and the X option was installed in situ. Cars that have the 09981code were physically transferred to the "Werk 1" to have all X options installed.

Yes, sorry I should have been clearer. I'm curious to know if other Aussie delivered cars also have the codes. I'm checking out a Mk1 CS tomorrow and it has both codes and has an alcantara wheel, gear shift surround and seat inserts which I suspect may have been the Special Wishes Department additions.

If anyone else has the codes I'm wondering how their cars may differ from stock......

8 minutes ago, Cam Arnott said:

Yes, sorry I should have been clearer. I'm curious to know if other Aussie delivered cars also have the codes. I'm checking out a Mk1 CS tomorrow and it has both codes and has an alcantara wheel, gear shift surround and seat inserts which I suspect may have been the Special Wishes Department additions.

If anyone else has the codes I'm wondering how their cars may differ from stock......

Good luck with the inspection Cam.

I'm not sure what the special additions are with my car.  It does have an alcantara wheel, and the sides of the seats are in leather with red criss-cross stitching, but I was of the understanding these were later additions by the PO to fix a wear problem on the seats and wheel.  Perhaps they were original after all????

I agree it wasn't a normal option for Mk1's but the Special Wishes Dept was there to allow people to option their cars to their own personal taste (at significant additional cost!)

For example we have a 993 at work with the original order form from PCM that lists a wood grain dash and door inserts - specifically in Rootwood (!) as part of the Special Wishes Dept program.

Hence my suspicion that the alcantara may be original to the car. And maybe Taz's interior mods.....🤔

20 minutes ago, RwGreeny said:

My mk1 CS has both of the codes. All the alcantara bits will be mods by a previous owner, presumed to make it more like a 6.2 RS. This was never an option for any 6.1’s

Just had a look at the under bonnet decal of my old LHD German delivered .1 CS, and that had 09981, 09991 and 10001.  As a now stripped out track car you couldn't see much in the way of extras, the thing I'm wondering about is whether the aerokit, being an X option, was a non-production line item, and all GT3s had these added off site??????

Hi Cam, Carnewal in Belgium sell the Alcantara inserts, I have sat in the car you are looking at and I suspected they were aftermarket. The wheel and shift knob looked genuine RS...quite a few seemed to fit those bits to non RS back when they were still available. I stupidly sold a wheel and shift boot a few years back. 

TBH I'd be surprised as the aerokit  was standard equipment on GT3's. The Mk1 Touring I checked out recently didn't have the codes. Wonder if its a CS thing....?

Cheers Simon - I had a Porsche motorsport Momo wheel that I sold to a mate a while ago that would have been a good match for the car!

4 minutes ago, Cam Arnott said:

TBH I'd be surprised as the aerokit  was standard equipment on GT3's. The Mk1 Touring I checked out recently didn't have codes.

All interesting info which adds to the mystery.  Who knows, we may eventually find someone who knows all..........

The aero kit is actually different to what the GT3’s have. Aero kits doesn’t have the front spoiler lip or cut out for the centre radiator. The rear wing doesn’t have the little black gurney flap.

17 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Just had a look at the under bonnet decal of my old LHD German delivered .1 CS, and that had 09981, 09991 and 10001.  As a now stripped out track car you couldn't see much in the way of extras, the thing I'm wondering about is whether the aerokit, being an X option, was a non-production line item, and all GT3s had these added off site??????

It’s not the body kit that makes it be removed from the production line. Literally the whole car is different to a standard 996. Engine-gearbox, all of the suspension components, roll cage, seats, battery isolator, various interior pieces, carpets. And that is just to name a few.

21 minutes ago, Cam Arnott said:

TBH I'd be surprised as the aerokit  was standard equipment on GT3's. The Mk1 Touring I checked out recently didn't have the codes. Wonder if its a CS thing....?

Cheers Simon - I had a Porsche motorsport Momo wheel that I sold to a mate a while ago that would have been a good match for the car!

Yeah I remember when you had that for sale and regret not buying it from you at the time. I also regret selling my near new one to @hughfor peanuts. Porsche’s discontinuation of parts has turned me into a serial hoarder now. 

7 minutes ago, spiller said:

Yeah I remember when you had that for sale and regret not buying it from you at the time. I also regret selling my near new one to @hughfor peanuts. Porsche’s discontinuation of parts has turned me into a serial hoarder now. 

They are the best steering wheels, perfect for the 996 GT3. 

38 minutes ago, RwGreeny said:

The aero kit is actually different to what the GT3’s have. Aero kits doesn’t have the front spoiler lip or cut out for the centre radiator. The rear wing doesn’t have the little black gurney flap.

It’s not the body kit that makes it be removed from the production line. Literally the whole car is different to a standard 996. Engine-gearbox, all of the suspension components, roll cage, seats, battery isolator, various interior pieces, carpets. And that is just to name a few.

RwGreeny I get what you are saying but why do some cars have the codes and not others ....?

Oh and thanks Hugh, Spiller and I are feeling better now 🤣

996 gt3’s will have 09991 and 09981 because that is what Porsche needed to do to make them at the time. As for the XAA option code which is the Aerokit. You will never find a GT3 with that because a no GT3 has an Aerokit. The GT3 doesn’t have a body kit. It’s just ‘the GT3’ and they’re all made the same externally, therefore it’s not out if the ordinary and is not an option. The same way you don’t need to option a wing on the turbo, that’s just the way it comes

Thanks to @CapnHyaku on another thread, here we go again:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-gt3-996-manual-my03/SSE-AD-6850721/?Cr=0

Another console car without the cutout switch.

Nice harness bar though, might need to look for one of those.....