996 GT3 Purchase

15 hours ago, Cam Arnott said:

Sounds like everyone has had a crack at the thing! 🤣  The colour change thing did play on my mind for a little while.

But I kept coming back to the numbers. 90 Mk1's  delivered, say 10 or that have probably been written off or gone overseas, another 10 or so converted to race use in Nations cup etc         . 13 touring spec cars. Many of the remainder that have had serious accident damage over the years. And now a rising market.

I figured realistically there was 30-40 decent CS cars maximum with and how many of those are on the market at any given time? Added to that my lack of patience once I've made up my mind and the long held dream of a 996 GT3 and here we are!

I’m sure you’ll love the experience of ownership Cam 

16 hours ago, Cam Arnott said:

Sounds like everyone has had a crack at the thing! 🤣  The colour change thing did play on my mind for a little while.

But I kept coming back to the numbers. 90 Mk1's  delivered, say 10 or that have probably been written off or gone overseas, another 10 or so converted to race use in Nations cup etc         . 13 touring spec cars. Many of the remainder that have had serious accident damage over the years. And now a rising market.

I figured realistically there was 30-40 decent CS cars maximum with and how many of those are on the market at any given time? Added to that my lack of patience once I've made up my mind and the long held dream of a 996 GT3 and here we are!

Here are the numbers -

MK1 GT3 - 90 units in total

Comfort 48

Club Sport 42 - 14 = 28 road cars

- 14 = CS road cars were converted for Nations Cup, Porsche Cup

12 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Here are the numbers -

Comfort 48

- 14 = CS road cars were converted for Nations Cup, Porsche Cup

Hi Jason (you know your GT3's), but why do your numbers differ to Porsche Australia build numbers that have been floating around the WEB for ~15Yrs?

pasted-graphic.jpg

5 hours ago, Windsor289 said:

Hi Jason (you know your GT3's), but why do your numbers differ to Porsche Australia build numbers that have been floating around the WEB for ~15Yrs?

pasted-graphic.jpg

I posted those numbers after a mate (who I trust) who had a connection at PCM contacted them to validate those numbers. I had posted it back a few weeks ago and was actually looking for someone to chime in.

I am 95% that the published numbers (as above) are wrong - having watched the market for more than 12 years now. It does seem there is some lack of clarity. So his numbers seemed to validate what I thought was right.

So I am actually hoping some more will chime in and help to clear it up

Globally the CS option was rare 20-30% is what I can glean from global research over the years. Then take RHD production into consideration and that Aus published numbers, coupled with what has been for sale - don’t make sense.

So thanks for chiming in - hoping to get to the bottom of it

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

There were some Tourings turned into race cars.  I had one.  Full bore AGT spec in the end.  Still had it on plates so perhaps it still qualified as a road car ... 

It’s now at the wreckers after I got toweled up in Tassie in 2007.  

Original owner of my car was Martin May, from Brighton, and it looks like he had the car for about 3 years and did 30,000kms in that time.  I wondered whether it might have had some motorsport background with him, but it looks like 2nd owner Tony Palermo did a bit of stuff early on (he put a cage in, upgraded brakes & single mass flywheel etc).

I think the info from Jason re number of Tourings is much more believable than 17 cars only

10 hours ago, mrar said:

I think I would like to see the factual data from Porsche before making statements like this.

Quote;

"Here are the numbers -

Comfort 48

- 14 = CS road cars were converted for Nations Cup, Porsche Cup"

Ask your mate to validate with an email or similar from the source please.

I was really hoping someone based in Melbourne with connections to PCM could help validate.

It was a telephone conversation- not an email.

I agree it needs to be varifed, that’s why I posted. I am not saying it is 100% fact, but I am doubtful on the previous numbers posted as it seems are others.

I would love to get clarity from multiple sources 

I received the attached from PCA head office after I purchased my GT3. I think the table previously referred to has mixed up the numbers as the letter I received said there was a total of 77 cars with the 003 Club Sport option and 35 were in 6.2 form. I don’t believe the number of 77 would refer to the RS cars as I am assuming that is a different model number from the regular GT3 model.

5D7E8CE1-D38E-4079-9667-159CA0BC79CA.jpeg

So of those 42 clubsport 996.1 GT3’s

14- modified for nations cup

28- road registered 

I know of two cars that were parted out after big crashes. I’m not sure if they were ex nations cup or not. But even so, you have to ask yourself how many of those original 28 cars exist today in a reasonably original state?
Either way I’m convinced that these cars are a lot more rare than most people realise. If you use the well rumoured 20% - 30% of production were M003 optioned. That gives you between 371 and 557 clubsports produced worldwide. 308 RHD cars were built in the 1858 car production run. So 30% of 308 works out to be 92 RHD clubsports.

UK- 28 clubsports delivered (fact)

South Africa- 7 clubsports delivered (fact)

Aus - 42 clubsports??

Japan - ???

If you use the 30% rule Japan received would have received around 15 cars. But who knows for sure. It could be a much higher percentage of the RHD cars were made as clubsports. I say this as it is what happened with the 993RS.

I reached out to my Porsche contact recently asking if he could quantify the 996 Mk1 M003 deliveries “Sorry but we no longer have access to the database for these types of enquiries.” was the response unfortunately ~ but I’ve only ever found them to be super helpful otherwise ... 

I’ll see if a journo I know can ask for me with Stuttgart or some other source ...

14 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

So of those 42 clubsport 996.1 GT3’s

14- modified for nations cup

28- road registered 

I know of two cars that were parted out after big crashes. I’m not sure if they were ex nations cup or not. But even so, you have to ask yourself how many of those original 28 cars exist today in a reasonably original state?
Either way I’m convinced that these cars are a lot more rare than most people realise. If you use the well rumoured 20% - 30% of production were M003 optioned. That gives you between 371 and 557 clubsports produced worldwide. 308 RHD cars were built in the 1858 car production run. So 30% of 308 works out to be 92 RHD clubsports.

UK- 28 clubsports delivered (fact)

South Africa- 7 clubsports delivered (fact)

Aus - 42 clubsports??

Japan - ???

If you use the 30% rule Japan received would have received around 15 cars. But who knows for sure. It could be a much higher percentage of the RHD cars were made as clubsports. I say this as it is what happened with the 993RS.

I’d be surprised if there are any RHD in Japan. 

Then if the only markets that got RHD were UK, SA and AUS that means 77 clubsports were produced, which equates to 25% of production.
I actually saw a midnight blue mk1 touring this morning while I happened to be out in my speed yellow mk1. I pulled up along side him and it’s safe to say that the other driver and I had a ‘moment’ that only people on here will understand 😂