996 GT3 Purchase

On 26/11/2020 at 20:28, mrar said:

After a tek screw made a mess of my left rear tyre last month and stuffed it,finally two days short of a month since ordering a full set,the rears arrived yesterday (fronts were del next day after ordered).

So same day a month later after no driving this car it's back in action.

Having a beer on deck after fuel/beer stop checking the view.

20201126_174508.jpg

Awesome colour @mrar ..... but then i’m a little biased!

On 29/11/2020 at 20:51, WGA said:

It is not just a lightly breathed on GT3 as some people might contend. 

Absolutely not... usually those comments are from folks who have neither researched it in great depth, or driven/owned one! 

On 29/11/2020 at 19:51, WGA said:

For you 996 fans who have not yet seen it, the first 8minutes or so of the recent Chris Harris video on the 992 GT3 with AP is all about the 996 GT3 and 996 GT3 RS. Chris is not hugely complementary towards the 996.1 GT3 but has some nice remarks regarding the 996.2 GT3 as does AP. Their discussion on the 996 RS amply demonstrates why this car is so special compared to the std GT3. It is not just a lightly breathed on GT3 as some people might contend. 

The reason the 996.1 GT3 is the greatest GT3 of them all, is the fact it managed to get made.  It went against the grain of Porsche HQ thinking at the time ... the financial boffins didn't want it, the business was concerned about it tarnishing Porsche's brand.  However the little 911 made up of bits from the parts bin was so successful that it provided a platform for all the GT3s that followed it.   It was the engineering team's last stand ... if they'd dropped the ball the takeover of Porsche by sensible people would have been complete! The GT3 allowed them to fight back (along with the turbo which was also lucky to get an outing) and continue to build 911s with a strong sports car focus. 

History of the Porsche 911 GT3 – driving the original 20 years on | evo

20 years on, did the Porsche 911 GT3 really change sports cars? (drivetribe.com)

10 hours ago, Arnage said:

The word "greatest" is subjective here.

Possibly not the greatest, but it was first.

Not bad for the first crack at a water cooled Motorsport car.  

Set the DNA up for all that followed, culminating with the 4.0 RS and an amazing winning streak on the track.

They are all great cars

On 01/12/2020 at 22:26, Arnage said:

The word "greatest" is subjective here.

I must admit I chuckled to myself when I used the word 'greatest'... however I was having some fun.

I do believe that the 996.1 GT3 was one of the most (if not the most) important 911 produced in the water cooled era.  If it had failed, I'm not sure we would now have the generous range of enthusiast models that abound today. 

10 hours ago, bear924 said:

I must admit I chuckled to myself when I used the word 'greatest'... however I was having some fun.

I do believe that the 996.1 GT3 was one of the most (if not the most) important 911 produced in the water cooled era.  If it had failed, I'm not sure we would now have the generous range of enthusiast models that abound today. 

I just re-read your post & agree with your sentiment that if it wasn't for that car then the GT3 as we now know it may never have existed.

When people poo poo the 6.1 due to it’s apparent lack of out right performance compared to later mezger cars, they are really missing the point and making an unfair comparison. A 997 4.0rs has 12 years of evolution behind it. So you would expect it to have a much higher performance window. No one seems to compare the 6.1 to a 993rs, which is the car it replaced. The 6.1 is a far more complete and competent car compared to the 993rs. The jump in every aspect of performance is far greater than we ever saw between the generations of mezger gt3’s

19 hours ago, bear924 said:

So if you are lucky enough to have one - keep it and live the dream 💕

15 minutes ago, Jason A said:

So if you are lucky enough to have one - keep it and live the dream 💕

And if you dont have one, this one has been around a few months now...... not sure what’s stopping it from selling?? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-gt3-996-manual-my03/SSE-AD-6850721

12 minutes ago, Rick V said:

And if you dont have one, this one has been around a few months now...... not sure what’s stopping it from selling?? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-gt3-996-manual-my03/SSE-AD-6850721

I’m confused about why too, other than how quickly it re-appeared (for ~ $25k more) after it sold at PCW...?

8 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

When people poo poo the 6.1 due to it’s apparent lack of out right performance compared to later mezger cars, they are really missing the point and making an unfair comparison. A 997 4.0rs has 12 years of evolution behind it. So you would expect it to have a much higher performance window. No one seems to compare the 6.1 to a 993rs, which is the car it replaced. The 6.1 is a far more complete and competent car compared to the 993rs. The jump in every aspect of performance is far greater than we ever saw between the generations of mezger gt3’s

Couldn’t agree more.  I’ve had a 993RSCS and have a 996.1 GT3. It blows the 993 into the weeds.  And yet both are great cars.  

8 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

Absolutely correct... we raced both 993rscs & 6.1 gt3 in Porsche cup one car had the looks & the other had the speed  

41 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Wow... 

So here's something special just listed:

996GT3 RS - $345,000

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2004-porsche-911-gt3-rs-996-manual-my04/SSE-AD-6933693/?Cr=0

(UK Import?)

Well if this came in as a personal import and is road registered, then it's value will be far higher than the last CS sale (that I know of), being the red one from here at auction a month or so ago, but certainly not $345k.  Perhaps closer to the last advertised price at Lorbeks of the blue one that edgy bought, it also being a personal import ($289 or something like that???)

Great photos but.......

3 minutes ago, edgy said:

I would say yes reading between the lines! 

So what’s the discount for the cars different accent? Also does it talk in Cockney rhyming slang, or does it have a Newcastle twang? 

Maybe it only drinks lager..? 

Such a terrible add and photos. It looks like one of those listings where his wife has forced him to put it up for sale but he doesn’t want to sell it. Then when she’s asks if the car has sold, he just flashes her the add to show that it’s listed on the interwebs