996 GT3 Purchase

6 hours ago, edgy said:

So I can answer my own question here after liaising with my PCA contact. 

There was indeed 4 GT3 RS built in November 2003

2 x White & Red

2 x White & Blue

all four were RHD C16 (UK) deliveries... I was curious about my own car, from the data (invoice date & VIN) what I can ascertain, it was the 3rd 996 GT3 RS ever built. 

Interesting, my white/blue RS was delivered in the UK on 19/11/2003. I think it was an October 2003 build. I don’t know if its meaningful but my VIN number ends in 005.

55 minutes ago, mrar said:

If it's an all out 03 build date race to zero, 005 is ninety two builds in front of 097.

Well that is not exactly difficult math, but that works on the assumption that @WGA vin is in the 691 sequence (it could be 690)... the earliest vin I could find is actually 690993, but here is what is interesting, the "invoice date" is noted as 14/11/2003, where as there is 691047 with an invoice date of 05/11/2003 - a later vin with a earlier invoice date... I am trying to get to the bottom of that... I think the only 4 looks to be debunked at this point, but I will continue to dig and see if that is now 5 or 50! Also, some other data points may help correlate the "invoice date" to the production date... I have most of my paperwork from new, and lots of the cars I have VIN numbers for have traded in recent years, so I should be able to pull the first registered dates as an additional data point. 

I am intrigued by the fact the first lot were RHD, but I think that would come down to nothing more than where the body shop was at, they were probably in RHD body production at that point in time. 

14 hours ago, edgy said:

It might help you sleep better at night to know you don’t actually have a touring, because there is no such thing... that didn’t come until type 991.2! You either have a 996 GT3 with 003 or without. 

By default, all C23 delivered 996 GT3’s had the fix back Recaro’s in leather (unless you added m-code 003 which gave you the same seat in Perlon fabric) you actually had to “option” the KOMFORT seats (recliners; either manual or powered, aka ‘sports seats’), this GT3 standard equipment only changed come the type 997, which came with a manual reclining spots seat by default, and powered seats as an option, and CGT type buckets in the Clubsport (003) package.... GT2’s could option a folding bucket to confuse matters. 

Long & Short they (Porsche) worked out how to extract more $$$ for the previously “no cost” options!  

Edgy, I am not sure that's correct, when the previous owner purchased my car used from PCM back in 2008 on the invoice the model description was GT3 Touring and if you look at the production data for Australia above that I shared  yesterday (which I assume was from PCA records) it also mentions  GT3 Touring. So whilst the cars were never marketed to the public that way (as a Touring)  it seems at least for Australia is that is how they were referred to internally by Porsche Cars Australia (PCA)  and the dealer network. 

10 minutes ago, SFZOOM said:

Edgy, I am not sure that's correct, when the previous owner purchased my car used from PCM back in 2008 on the invoice the model description was GT3 Touring and if you look at the production data for Australia above that I shared  yesterday (which I assume was from PCA records) it also mentions  GT3 Touring. So whilst the cars were never marketed to the public that way (as a Touring)  it seems at least for Australia is that is how they were referred to internally by Porsche Cars Australia (PCA)  and the dealer network. 

It is correct.

Indeed people (we've all done it) refer to them as a touring, but there is no such thing as a 996 GT3 touring, and just because people keep spreading misinformation doesn't make it right, that table from GT3 resource is as old as the hills and constantly regurgitated, perhaps a refresh is order. 

IF the Touring was an actual model, it would surely have a "sales type" different to the 996811 that all of them carry... rather they all carry the sales type 996811 with options attached... because at the end of the day even a CS, is just a 996811 with M-Code 003 in its additional to standard equipment list... also the same could be said about a Touring "M-code", none of which exist.

The original sales documentation from the manufacturer might help explain it further:

Page 40-41Standard Interior - Bucket Seats finished in leather with only manual fore/aft adjustment 

Page 47: Interior options - "no cost P77 option" of sports seats, also pictured at the bottom of the page with coloured backs

Therefore you optioned those reclining seats and the M-Code would display on your m-code list, you didn't option a touring package. 

PG_38-39.thumb.jpeg.d1a3439ea1e20a77fbed1d592d51b051.jpeg

PG_40-41.thumb.jpeg.2124348611eb2b8414c8e07ecf752f04.jpeg

PG_42-43.thumb.jpeg.0a772c1775c69b46a39c2bd20d3456c3.jpeg

PG_44-45.thumb.jpeg.9dd876f9ad6bfc0a1d4cfdcbf45566b8.jpeg

PG_46-47.thumb.jpeg.4b6bb20379e703d97c4cd55568795962.jpeg

Hi Edgy, you need to re-read my email, 

I was never asserting that Porsche marketed a GT3 Touring to the buying public as a distinct model.....as I said in my original post it seems that at least for Australia that is how they were referred to internally by Porsche Cars Australia and the dealer network.  I would guess that was done to distinguish them from those ordered with the Club Sport M003 package. Please see below the used vehicle sales invoice for my car back in 2008, from Porsche Centre Melbourne (which is owned by Porsche Cars Australia) which clearly shows the model as GT3 Touring.

image.thumb.png.f3c5ffd913c477276acbff2f2a78a461.png

9 hours ago, edgy said:

Well that is not exactly difficult math, but that works on the assumption that @WGA vin is in the 691 sequence (it could be 690)... the earliest vin I could find is actually 690993, but here is what is interesting, the "invoice date" is noted as 14/11/2003, where as there is 691047 with an invoice date of 05/11/2003 - a later vin with a earlier invoice date... I am trying to get to the bottom of that... I think the only 4 looks to be debunked at this point, but I will continue to dig and see if that is now 5 or 50! Also, some other data points may help correlate the "invoice date" to the production date... I have most of my paperwork from new, and lots of the cars I have VIN numbers for have traded in recent years, so I should be able to pull the first registered dates as an additional data point. 

I am intrigued by the fact the first lot were RHD, but I think that would come down to nothing more than where the body shop was at, they were probably in RHD body production at that point in time. 

I don’t if it will help, but the last 6 digits of my Vin are 691005.

On 10/02/2021 at 15:08, SFZOOM said:

Here is what else I found on the internet:-

996.1 GT3 - 1868 total, of which 106 UK C16 (only 28 of which were specced as Clubsports) out of a global total of 308 RHD and of course 0 US C02.

996.2 GT3 - 2313 total with 239 UK C16 and 1017 US C02

996.2 GT3 RS - 682 total, 140 RHD (of which 113 were UK, 17 Aus, 4 NZ and the rest presumably HK, Sng, Jpn) and 0 for the Americans

So it seems that all the RHD 996 RS cars had the better heads / engines 😎 based on @edgy research of production ??

Assuming they shipped as produced / built 

I will have to check my vin

10 hours ago, edgy said:

No, fuck trains! I’m “off the rails” gangsta!

Also, I took on board what @SFZOOM was saying, I just didn’t dedicated a quarter of my life to lose to manual data entry! 

Edgy, sorry I thought the purpose of the forum was like minded enthusiasts coming together to share their passions and learn from one and another......I didn't realise it was a competition of winners and losers adjudicated by self appointed experts ....anyhow let's move on now  I am sick of talking about trains :) 

3 hours ago, Jason A said:

So it seems that all the RHD 996 RS cars had the better heads / engines 😎 based on @edgy research of production ??

Assuming they shipped as produced / built 

I will have to check my vin

Not sure mate, I have not looked at any local delivery VIN's but it shouldn't be too hard given the small volume! I also wish to get to the bottom of what blue it is, I have heard Mexico (quoted by AP among others), I have a parts listing that quotes it as riviera... it's great fun that they did a really shit house job marketing those cars 😎😂 then again, they only said they needed 200 to homologate! 

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Hey, I resemble that comment......

Hey this is starting to sound like the 991 thread when  it turned into an attack on middle aged fat guys! 

39 minutes ago, SFZOOM said:

Edgy, sorry I thought the purpose of the forum was like minded enthusiasts coming together to share their passions and learn from one and another

That has always been at the forefront

40 minutes ago, SFZOOM said:

I didn't realise it was a competition of winners and losers adjudicated by self appointed experts ....anyhow let's move on now  I am sick of talking about trains :) 

That was intended to be humorous, obviously poorly executed on my behalf... and I'm no expert, just a guy who should probably spend more hours of his day doing things that are actually meaningful! 

Anyway, I have said all that I have to on the subject, I am starting to sound like a broken record.. I am truly sorry if you got upset by anything I have said. 

Hopefully we can settle it the old fashioned way and I can buy you a beer and laugh about this!

4 hours ago, edgy said:

Not sure mate, I have not looked at any local delivery VIN's but it shouldn't be too hard given the small volume! I also wish to get to the bottom of what blue it is, I have heard Mexico (quoted by AP among others), I have a parts listing that quotes it as riviera... 

In the video where the tour the GT room at Porsche HQ with Andreas - her refers to it as Mexico Blue. Up until that time I was also unsure also

So another price of useless information 😎

Tomato , tomaaateoohhh.

Mexico blue is an early g series colour .... riviera blue is a 993 colour.

just like references to Touring modeLs - it started with the 73 RS! I shouldnt go there  given the last 48 hours.

different shades,  But  close, just separated by 20 years or so.

No right or wrong... Just Different shades....something only the train spotters like me observe.... 

it’s there or thereaboUTS,  but Look beyond the models you are immediately interested in.... history is fascinating and Porsche is a brand that mines it’s rich history extremely well.

7 hours ago, Jason A said:

In the video where the tour the GT room at Porsche HQ with Andreas - her refers to it as Mexico Blue. Up until that time I was also unsure also

So another price of useless information 😎

Useless is subjective 😂

6 hours ago, SFZOOM said:

All good Edgy....I'll take you up on that beer offer someday! :)

We are due for a Sydney mid week social soon! Please join us 

3 hours ago, spiller said:

I didn’t think AP seemed all that confident about quoting Mexico Blue in the Top Gear video. I always thought it was Riviera Blue

Agree, it was some time ago for him 

3 hours ago, reedminor said:

Tomato , tomaaateoohhh.

Mexico blue is an early g series colour .... riviera blue is a 993 colour.

just like references to Touring modeLs - it started with the 73 RS! I shouldnt go there  given the last 48 hours.

different shades,  But  close, just separated by 20 years or so.

No right or wrong... Just Different shades....something only the train spotters like me observe.... 

it’s there or thereaboUTS,  but Look beyond the models you are immediately interested in.... history is fascinating and Porsche is a brand that mines it’s rich history extremely well.

Yes to all of that. 

On 12/02/2021 at 23:24, edgy said:

We are due for a Sydney mid week social soon! Please join us 

Thanks @edgy, sounds good let me know.

I saw your previous 997 at the Machines & Macchiato's  Cars & Coffee event at St. Ives Showground yesterday....wow it's absolutely beautiful!

If you don't mind me asking who did you use to paint the car and the wheels?, really amazing finishes. Who did the PPF full wrap?, it's one of the best I have seen. I have used Ozicosi in the past but interested if there are other good installers out there.

image.png.1fb1cb2baab02b4932b2e1580ce174f9.png

21 hours ago, SFZOOM said:

Thanks @edgy, sounds good let me know.

I saw your previous 997 at the Machines & Macchiato's  Cars & Coffee event at St. Ives Showground yesterday....wow it's absolutely beautiful!

If you don't mind me asking who did you use to paint the car and the wheels?, really amazing finishes. Who did the PPF full wrap?, it's one of the best I have seen. I have used Ozicosi in the past but interested if there are other good installers out there.

I'll post it in the events & SMT section usually. ;)

Nice to see it out there, and yes it certainly presents very well, the car (and wheels) were painted by LSR in Artarmon (right across from Ozi) as for the PPF, that was done by Richard at Project detail, however he is no longer involved in the business unfortunately, he sold out to a partner and they re-branded. I agree, its a very good wrap job... I think Ray Charles did the one on my 996, it is pretty shit house by comparison, and I will probably re do it. 

I am going to have a robust conversation with him over those 7.2 RS inspired decals though... 😐

On 13/02/2021 at 18:56, mrar said:

Found this the other day in one of the boxes of magazines.

Read it just now, great article from back in the day.

No mention of touring model...just gt3.

20210213_154753.jpg

20210213_154845.jpg

20210213_154904.jpg

Great piece of motoring nostalgia!  Couldn't help noticing the clubsport options .... image.png.d02896c81e02b685718b22b5b8cf969b.png