996 GT3 Purchase

Slightly off topic but I’m pretty sure I’ve got most of the 996 GT3 bodies in this thread.

Anyone got standard set of springs for a mk2? Mine has the standard dampers but stiffer springs and they’re too bouncy for Tassie roads which I’m heading to in tue next month. 

DM if you can help?

Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 13:26, spiller said:

On 12/01/2022 at 14:47, edgy said:

Nice, I suspect that won't last long... 

Came to stir the pot... 2.5 months later and this CS is not sold yet, even at an ask of Mid 200's, I thought surely someone will offer early 2's and bag it... what gives? 

8 minutes ago, edgy said:

Came to stir the pot... 2.5 months later and this CS is not sold yet, even at an ask of Mid 200's, I thought surely someone will offer early 2's and bag it... what gives? 

Your neck of the woods mate, perhaps time to call in and check with Scott what the go is???  🙂 🙂 🙂 

32 minutes ago, edgy said:

Is it possible that most or all of the buyers for 996 already have their cars? This on top of a more common colour (preference is subjective), perhaps condition and type of usage are all playing a roll? 

For me - Once they got over $200k it put other (newer) cars available at the same price point into consideration . I know it’s a modern day classic that may appreciate from here, but as a track toy that’s fun to drive I felt like I could tick more boxes with other cars. 

I wasn’t buying from a “this will go up in future and is collectible” perspective. I was buying from a “what’s the most fun I can have on the track” perspective. 

So in short and to answer your question, above $200k I didn’t see value anymore in these. And I know I’m in the minority here. 

On 29/03/2022 at 22:29, spiller said:

@cafe_racer have you bought something yet? Curious to know what you ended up with. If track days are your jam it’s hard to look past a cup car. 

Lotus Exige 420. Gave me the same feels as a vintage porsche. But with about 200 extra hp (the balance was also amazing in the car and  it’s ability to rotate was impressive) I was considering a cup car. But I can drive this to the track and don’t need to worry about storage/one day having a massive repair bill. I do feel like I need to go to a cup car one day, but not just yet. 

The other thing I liked about the lotus is the importers. They have a full calendar of lotus events and I’m off to do laps of Bathurst soon. With the dash the cars  have I’ll be able to analyse telemetry and get tips that way too. You can have a set of track wheels (stored with them) that they drive out and fit for you on the day for free, which to me highlighted how they don’t try to fist you at every  point. I did targa high country sharing driving with a mate in his exige and loved it. And to highlight the lack of fisting again, their tour was about half the price of the porsche one and was fully supported. So hopefully it will also make me a better driver in the long term and not drain my pockets too much as I become a better driver. 

ps. I’ve still got a couple of deposits out for a GT4RS. The muck around with trying to get one of those also has soured me a bit on the brand. 

On 29/03/2022 at 13:07, cafe_racer said:

So in short and to answer your question, above $200k I didn’t see value anymore in these. And I know I’m in the minority here. 

I dont think a minority mate .. brand loyalty does a lot to swaying decisions and the heady times of high residuals and even profits too.

Im with you , WTF .. why would drive a 20yr car vs any GT car 5 year old if you want a track experience, I will take the tech and the warranty thanks especially if its still manual.  again why 

Someone else nailed it the other day to me .. with the Value statement as you have.. Price vs Value very different things , each to their own.  I have loved the cars I have owned but I will be buggered if im paying the hyped 30-40% more than I sold em for , when they were already high of the last round of excitement.  I think theres this FOMO and low rate/slow rate of production running strong in the psyche of buyers. and we all know impatience is a thing thats just gonna lighten your wallet even further.

48 minutes ago, symsy said:

I dont think a minority mate .. brand loyalty does a lot to swaying decisions and the heady times of high residuals and even profits too.

Im with you , WTF .. why would drive a 20yr car vs any GT car 5 year old if you want a track experience, I will take the tech and the warranty thanks especially if its still manual.  again why 

Someone else nailed it the other day to me .. with the Value statement as you have.. Price vs Value very different things , each to their own.  I have loved the cars I have owned but I will be buggered if im paying the hyped 30-40% more than I sold em for , when they were already high of the last round of excitement.  I think theres this FOMO and low rate/slow rate of production running strong in the psyche of buyers. and we all know impatience is a thing thats just gonna lighten your wallet even further.

The problem is people arent buying 20yo GT cars for track use, they're buying them as collectors and "cool" toys. 

Look at Classic Aussie Homologation Musclecars like GT -HO's, GTS's, A9X's etc. 

Nobodys racing them, they're garage queens.

That's where the money's coming from, financially cashed up car collectors.  

Same is happening with homologation 911's. Actually all 911's...