996 GT3 Purchase

Lots of good points here... I don't personally think the 997 will be hitting the sub $100k mark like the 996's have... The 997 GT3 are probably the best GT3 street car made! (with the mezger & 6MT blah blah) I think low to mid 100's is the bottom of that barrel!

Hugh is right, the market has not been so depleted in all the time I can remember... Demand is either rising or retention is high!

Sorry can't work out the abbreviation " people say the type 2's are NBD" ?????

NBD=No Big Deal.

;)

Great discussion fellas. I have been watching the GT3 market for awhile too.

Would have probably dipped my toes in if I didn't have a big reno to stump up for. 

Seems like there has been a rush to buy in the past month or have few been pulled from the market?

That silver 996 mk1 that was for sale in country VIC has finally sold? Must have been up for almost 2 years.

I am not sure how future values will go, but my hunch is that despite the 996 mk1 being homologated I reckon 997's will be worth more down the track just because people will want the classic look more. 

Have seen a few 997's come up at 150k (don't think will go much lower) and sell very quickly, which makes me think thats what most people are after. 

Thinking I will try and hunt one down next year once the castle has been extended and the 4 car garage is done, will have to buy something to fill the last spot. 

• 2 weeks later...

No sub 100k GT3's left on Carsales.................maybe the tides are turning?

Perhaps Hugh? I wouldn't be surprised seeing how the air cooled market has gone.. Well, utterly ridiculous!

Now, for the people that want to buy a 911 to drive hard... I can't for the life of me understand why you'd pay the same money for the older car with the out dated technical package... As a collector, I get it... But I'm hardly the later. :lol:

Unfortunately I think it will get to the point one day that long term GT3 owners will be scared to take their cars out in fear of stashing it.... They know they won't be able to replace them.

There is a 6.1 CS in WA for $90k still though... But I really dig that Zanzibar 6.1 CS on the Simmons looks incredible!

So Ilif you are half thinking about 6 gt3, the time is nigh..... Remember 90 6.1's delivered and 91 6.2's of which 17 are RS so that really only leaves 74 touring and CS (double the money for RS)... Then you need to minus the write offs out of those numbers! :lol:

They will dry up fast in the next 12 or so months...

Zanzibar red 6.1 CS

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2000/AGC-AD-17238920

Looks wicked on those Simmons!

All the signs of track work there however....

Red suits them and is rare. Looks great but you'd need a couple of hours with a hair drier to get rid of all those naff stickers. What's with "sport" after gt3 decals on the sides? Looks like it's been well used as intended.

Now, for the people that want to buy a 911 to drive hard... I can't for the life of me understand why you'd pay the same money for the older car with the out dated technical package... As a collector, I get it... But I'm hardly the later. :lol:

Have you driven a sorted older 911 hard? There are plenty that still get driven hard + its not just collectors buying them up - its people that enjoy driving that the earlier cars appeal too. 

Have you driven a sorted older 911 hard? There are plenty that still get driven hard + its not just collectors buying them up - its people that enjoy driving that the earlier cars appeal too.

You are taking what I've said out of context and I didn't write it too well either, so that's understandable...

I mean would you now pay the big $$$ for an air cooled car and then tip X amount into it to sort it out when you can buy a gt3 that's ready to rock?

You are taking what I've said out of context and I didn't write it too well either, so that's understandable...

I mean would you now pay the big $$$ for an air cooled car and then tip X amount into it to sort it out when you can buy a gt3 that's ready to rock?

Its a discussion that comes up a lot and understandably so - its just such a hard thing to quantify as there are pro's and cons for each depending on your usage and intentions. 

Its a topic that I'm very interested in though as I would like to see a GT3 in my garage at some stage but its quite a different proposition to and AC 911. My preference is still a 997 though but I'm obviously watching the 996 market closely. A lot have moved off the market in the last month or so that's for sure................still waiting to see how long that white 997 takes to move.  

Absolutely!

I don't think the 997 GT3 market will ever dip as low as the 996 GT3 market though. On a whole, the 997 has the higher appeal visually.

A few of us weirdos like the way a 996 looks mind you.

I'd say 997 it's the right mix of modern and old school... Get one with an axle lift kit, PASM etc it'll be an easier car to spend lots of time in... The 996's are not negotiable in that manner.

Low to mid 100's I rsckon is the bottom of that barrel... I just don't envision them dipping below 100.... But if they do? Hmmmm...... That's compelling! :D