996 GT3 Purchase

OK

How do you know? 

Yeah, it was me. I have been looking at all of the GT3s for months and this was one I was after, the Duttons car and the black NT GT3 wasn't for me; the silver touring is unmolested and very straight. I had some foolish desire to buy something air cooled with performance but they went way past the point that it would have worked for me. My Carrera 4 goes and between my S4 and a GT3 I hope that I have the P Car landscape covered for now - well that's how I sold it to the wife, I have promised myself no more cars for at least 12 months..... 

Thanks Steve, never over until the fat lady/PPI sings but I'm expecting all good

Ill keep you all posted

Dave

BTW - to clarify and be very clear, I didn't PPI the Duttons/NT Black GT3, I cant give any opinion on mechanical state or quality of those cars.

I was simply referring to the fact I didn't want a club sport with tight seats and a cage, I like the cool factor of the CS but a Touring edition was more appropriate for me - personal choice. I wouldn't be surprised if a CS version is just slightly more desirable one day

Cheers

Dave

Yeah, it was me. I have been looking at all of the GT3s for months and this was one I was after, the Duttons car and the black NT GT3 wasn't for me; the silver touring is unmolested and very straight. I had some foolish desire to buy something air cooled with performance but they went way past the point that it would have worked for me. My Carrera 4 goes and between my S4 and a GT3 I hope that I have the P Car landscape covered for now - well that's how I sold it to the wife, I have promised myself no more cars for at least 12 months..... 

Thanks Steve, never over until the fat lady/PPI sings but I'm expecting all good

Ill keep you all posted

Dave

Well done and congrats! 

No cars for at least 12 months?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

For my own curiosity (and insurance purposes) I'd be interested to know what you agreed on sale price, pm me if you are comfortable sharing. If not that is okay too.  B)

Ill keep you all posted

Dave

You've done more than most..............

Already having a silver 996 you could have tried your luck or played the 'just got a body kit and new wheels' card..... :ph34r:

Ill keep you all posted

Dave

Congrats. Hopefully you'll bring it out on a Vic SMTmfor all of us to see.

996 GT3s fast disappearing from carsales.

So gang question , why a GT3 over a 996 turbo , apart from more limited numbers??  

I love the look and the writeups just wondering?

Both are looking like a lot of bang for the buck but so does a 997 turbo at 129k probably buy able at 10k less than that ?

There are two 997 turbos on carsales that are 140k and 129k and neither have been snapped at ?

Anyone had all three cars?

Any by the way the cars I have seen look awesome , great thread and info here 

For me personally, as much as I appreciate the turbo cars they've never really interested me. I think it's a combination of them questionably being too much car for me and that I'm more than satisfied by what an NA 911 can deliver in terms of performace - as a result they have never been on my radar despite their potential value.

The 996 & 997 TT's are road cars and fantastically fast ones at that. The GT3 is a harder and more track focussed proposition, completely different package than the TT's as any 'GT' porsche is.

I'm a NA, narrow bodied 911 lover at heart for their simplicity and as a result the only water cooled cars that I'm attracted to are ones that share a similar level of simplicity in terms of their purpose. A GT3 fits the bill in terms of what I want in a modern 911, a no frills race car for the road. Failing that I would be seriously considering a Cayman...........but that's for another discussion.

I've had experiences in both a 996TT & 996 GT3 (& 996 GT2 thanks DJM) but not yet in a 997 turbo or GT3 but I'm yet to see a clean 997 turbo manual fall below the 150k mark. I'm guessing the 130k examples you are referring to are autos?

So gang question , why a GT3 over a 996 turbo , apart from more limited numbers??

I love the look and the writeups just wondering?

Both are looking like a lot of bang for the buck but so does a 997 turbo at 129k probably buy able at 10k less than that ?

There are two 997 turbos on carsales that are 140k and 129k and neither have been snapped at ?

Anyone had all three cars?

Any by the way the cars I have seen look awesome , great thread and info here

From my perspective: it's the classic Porsche formula narrow body, high revving n.a. So very much a track ready car out of the box, I personally like NA power and its simplicity for maintenance (over turbo) RWD over AWD is a big factor too.

And the rarity is a good thing for future value.

Mind you, I'd buy a turbo if it was my daily grinder ... Add suspension and wind up the boost and you have a lethal weapon. :)

agreed kurt

996 turbo is a hoot but the GT3 is the classic formula.

Its too easy these days to use all the cliche buzz words like: raw, involving, engaging, visceral, analog, "the last of" etc etc

I think that Classic Porsce Formula says so much in so few words.

I'd still consider a Turbo for daily duties!

^^^ couldn't have put it any better myself.

I have not driven a 996 turbo but if you are someone who must explore the absolute limits of your car, there is no way to do that in a GT3 without going to a race track. You could drive as fast as heavenly possible on a twisty piece of road but still won't even come close. There is nothing in the GT3 in the way of comforts and conveniences other than a radio and a/c (if it was optioned). It's definitely not built for cruising on the weekends. Could you still enjoy cruising it? Probably but it could also eat away at you. It certainly does for me. However, hands down most satisfying car I've ever tracked by a country mile. This might sound wanky but I view the car as a tool built for a very specific purpose, and a very cool one at that!

Oh you guys make it so difficult ……….. so many words for simple pleasure ..maybe I should just go back to driving the TT993 , I only slowed down driving it two months ago and have worn my fingers out questions to sellers of car ads ;)…Its does sound the GT3 is point and click kind of car 

It definately Mayhem out there I have flown around three cities and I think at this rate I will end up with a hyundai..with a wing of course, I only last weeked cooked a deal got on a plane to go collect yet another car only to get a text a few hours after arrival and a few hours of silence, that my deal was over as someone had arrived with another 10k..

Has anyone seen the vic 996 GT3 Black as a matter of interest?

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2004/AGC-AD-17468404/?Cr=0 

And then there was one... 

Just the Atlas Grey 6.2 is left and there is no more 996 on the market... I wonder why it hasn't moved? It's a rare colour Atlas grey.. lower mileage and spec looks okay too. 

I'm really curious about that too. The seller also states that it still has extended factory warranty as well. I didnt think the warranty could be extended that long but you would think it would make the car more desirable.

I'm really curious about that too. The seller also states that it still has extended factory warranty as well. I didnt think the warranty could be extended that long but you would think it would make the car more desirable.

It is probably 2005 compliance like my one... making this year its last possible year for warranty extension