996 GT3 Purchase

1 hour ago, 901er said:

6000km speed yellow MK1 tourer at Duttons

I wonder how much?

https://duttongarage.com/Porsche-911-996-GT3-Coupe~39334

Never seen a carbon steering wheel on a MK1 GT3  was it a factory option ? (dash and gear knob) also does it have cruise or on board computer with the lower stalk on LH side of steering column?

6,630 KM that is low for an 18 year old vehicle ~ 368 KM a year ?

39350?m=max&w=2000&h=2000ZZS_2304

19 hours ago, 901er said:

Nice work! that mk1 looked so pretty in silver. These cars are amazing, I bet you love it 

21 hours ago, bear924 said:

Yes. Car is currently resting at Lennox Heads after twisting and turning for 650km today.

Yup it passed the tyre kicking test .. @firstone  it also passed the byron wiggly road test and the dash to 100 ;) across the cane fields past your place .. did ya hear us ??

Good car.. it even got driven on a dirty road along with my TT , I would call that Brap Brap Brap braptised..

The only real issue was it seems to have collected some groupies of the  front engined kind on its travels

I did hear you. Bumped my head to get out for a look from up here. 

I was under the hoist trying to find a spare for my teen boys car after he hit a gutter last night. Any wonder, he had 10 lb in one rear tyre. He's a d1ckhead.

Dirt? Round mountain road by any chance? It's been graded recently so yeah brap brap.

1 minute ago, firstone said:

I did hear you. Bumped my head to get out for a look from up here. 

I was under the hoist trying to find a spare for my teen boys car after he hit a gutter last night. Any wonder, he had 10 lb in one rear tyre. He's a d1ckhead.

Dirt? Round mountain road by any chance? It's been graded recently so yeah brap brap.

Yup 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, red clubbie said:

How was the drive??

Cheers,

Geoff.

Awesome!! These cars are amazing! The more you spank them, the happier they seem to be. Drove 4 hours straight this evening and arrived is pretty good shape. I had doubts about the sports seats, however nothing achy and seemed to provide some support when I was following Symsy at 100 km/hr. 

My favourite parts about the GT3 are:

- Massive width of the torque curve. Easy to poke around town or drive the Twisties compared to my previous Porsches.

- The chassis in these cars do something when you drive them into corners hard. The car just hunkers down give so much feedback about what it's doing. A GT3 for cruising on straight highways or driving to coffee doesn't make much sense to me. Find some corners and everything falls into place.  

- The engine has distinctive sounds at different parts of the rev cycle. Sounds great in the cabin whether cruising or driving with more enthusiasm.

Things that are less impressive:

- Tyre noise on certain road surface can be droning. Don't find it an issue on most roads.

- The stereo .. well, I suspect the speakers are woeful. Didn't expect anything more, however my low expectations were firmly met.

- Car is not fun to drive on really rough roads. Found I was going more slowly on those roads than others in the group. That said, the roads don't need to be billiard smooth .. just free from heavy pot holing (makes driving in regional NSW a tad difficult)

I suggest anyone who is sitting on the fence about moving into a GT3 should just do it. These car are full of character yet are relatively comfortable to cruise in when required. The price compared to many of the air cooled cars for sale doesn't make sense to me. 

11 hours ago, Windsor289 said:

Never seen a carbon steering wheel on a MK1 GT3  was it a factory option ? (dash and gear knob) also does it have cruise or on board computer with the lower stalk on LH side of steering column?

I also thought the lower stalk was a cruise control stick however that's not the case. Cars fitted with cruise control have a stick on the RHS lower part of the steering wheel. As 996.1 cruise control were pedal activated (as opposed to electronic throttle on 996.2), I suspect that no 996.1 GT3 is fitted with cruise control. I believe some 996.2 GT3 did come with cruise though. 

The lower left hand stalk is used to set a speed alert (mine kept going off today for some reason) and scroll through the menu items under the speed in the rev gauge. This tells you outside temp, range, fuel economy, average speed and speed alert value.

Does anyone have a 996.1 GT3 without the bottom left stalk? 

If there are some without, I believe it might be the optional computer which I think mine was optioned with.  Actually find the speed alert helpful when cruising as I find that it's easy for speed to slowly creep up in that type of driving.

Mine does not have the lower stalk. 996 MK1 CS

On 6/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, Windsor289 said:

39350?m=max&w=2000&h=2000ZZS_2304

Interesting, looks like a lot of interior changes. Airbag on wheel is not std also, looks like it’s off a turbo. I can understand upgrading to a carbon wheel, but why change the airbag.

i am sure someone will get the full story- including the price

My favourite colour BTW ??

Mmmm @hugh has anyone reconciled the 14 cars converted to track cars, I have 1 and its yellow. Have spotted a few others in some pics that were yellow also.  I think one or two are on this forum - the TNT car comes to mind.

When I removed the motec dash, mine has 28,000 ks, only driven on Sunday’s lol

i must say the condition of the car overall is 8/10 - but no books other than CAMS log book. Car was road registered most of its life in Vic, rules were loose on cars with full cage.

Jason, I’m the owner of the TNT car that competed in the All Nations Cup (5th in 2000 & 8th in 2001), it’s done 21,000km & still on full Vic rego. I’m happy to report it’s still being used in anger & will be at Targa High Country in November ? We should see if we can get a bunch of them together for some photo’s one day....

Sounds good, I am in Qld - so maybe a Rensport hook up.

My car - not sure how it placed in 2000 changed owners in that year (14th with Coleman after a few races). Jim Mckeown sold to Matt Coleman- 2001 did not compete (except AGP appearance) then he won the 2002 Porsche Cup season in the car. Also found out it had the lap record at Mallala. Still digging for more info. Have got info from Jim, pictures of car on day 1 as road car and then as raced by Him. Having trouble getting a response from Matt, have reached out but no response. Fitzy also owned the car for 5 years - used as a happy laps car by his team.

He then moved to a factory cup car in 03 - due to rule changes to Porsche Cup the old cars non compliant

4 hours ago, MR901 said:

Jason, I’m the owner of the TNT car that competed in the All Nations Cup (5th in 2000 & 8th in 2001), it’s done 21,000km & still on full Vic rego. I’m happy to report it’s still being used in anger & will be at Targa High Country in November ? We should see if we can get a bunch of them together for some photo’s one day....

I worked in a Porsche race team during the nations cup era & know most of the gt3’s.. we had 2 in our team.. one of my good friends built some of the gt3’s when he was working at Fitzgerald’s as @Jason A knows including his.. when I’m back from Europe I’ll start a new thread & post up some photos let’s see what we can dig up.. some photos are on my instagram @porscheplatz 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the Yellow 996 GT3 ex nations cup car you saw at Winton might belong to Steve Cossa?  Steve's been running the car in MSCA events for a while now.  It was recently in at Fitzgerald's for an engine refresh.  

Not sure if this is the same car as the Dutton's car but this one is for Private sale @ $250,000 big ones...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-2000/SSE-AD-5518690/?ret=search-alert&utm_source=internal-carsales-notification-centre-search-alert&utm_medium=email

16 minutes ago, On the Limit said:

I believe the Yellow 996 GT3 ex nations cup car you saw at Winton might belong to Steve Cossa?  Steve's been running the car in MSCA events for a while now.  It was recently in at Fitzgerald's for an engine refresh.  

I met Steve at Winton the other month - nice fella! 

On 27 June 2018 at 12:39 PM, On the Limit said:

<snip>

Not sure if this is the same car as the Dutton's car but this one is for Private sale @ $250,000 big ones...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-2000/SSE-AD-5518690/?ret=search-alert&amp;utm_source=internal-carsales-notification-centre-search-alert&amp;utm_medium=email

Yep. Pretty sure that's the same car that Duttons had.

I've seen it up close... absolutely immaculate.