996 GT3 Purchase

That rear badge and the fact the ad still says rego expires Jan 17 are not helping his cause.  He needs to take it down, get some decent photos and re-list with new words and it might sell.  I agree it's a very cheap entry to GT land.  Would make a great track car if mechnically fine.

On 24/10/2018 at 23:04, symsy said:

Kicked those tyres this week .. very nice bit of kit,  but the cost of prime rib these days ..hmm..and the GT2 RS next to it ..tough tyres on that one too

Almost every other week I search for 996 GT3 RS on the OZ market trying decide whether it is financially beneficial, or not, to bring my UK 996 GT3 RS back with me. Right now there are 3 x 996 RSs on the market. One at Duttons $389K, one at Autohaus $389K and another at Classic Throttle Shop $349K. With the shift in the exchange rate, these prices are making it look very marginal so considering selling my car back into the UK market and then picking up a local one.  

However, I have a question relating to the Autohaus and Throttle Shop cars that I thought someone on this board might able to help me with. Both these cars have been fitted with a 3rd party front lift kit. In Europe I have looked at dozens of 996 RS over the last few year and have yet to encounter one, or even hear of one, being fitted with a front lift kit and yet here are two in OZ for sale. Is this just bizarrely co-incidental or is there some connection between these two cars? Anybody know?

And just FYI, as for the Dutton's car, it's another case of false advertising. The description of the car says in caps "ABSOLUTELY NO MODIFICATIONS" and yet it's clear that it has an after market exhaust (as does the Autohaus car). What else I ask?

That's how we roll in Oz....Bet there's no German air in those tyres either.

I thought the ratio for gt3/gt3rs was about double plus a bit, surely not in this market the sale price is not at these  asking prices?

I've looked at the overseas classic driver/pistonhead prices for the 996gtrs not same level relative to the ask here, in the past I was informed these were the platforms used buy$$ the major dealers here to value our cars.

26 minutes ago, dipstick said:

That's how we roll in Oz....Bet there's no German air in those tyres either.

I thought the ratio for gt3/gt3rs was about double plus a bit, surely not in this market the sale price is not at these  asking prices?

I've looked at the overseas classic driver/pistonhead prices for the 996gtrs not same level relative to the ask here, in the past I was informed these were the platforms used buy$$ the major dealers here to value our cars.

Who do you consider the major dealers that would do that ?

Most of these ealers have outlets in europe too.. I doubt they would use these forums as a serious reference when they are in the market themselves.. most of these sites are just looking at retail , are they not?

On 01/11/2018 at 15:23, edgy said:

Everyone says you cannot quantify the $$ into performance, shut the eyes pay the $$ and enjoy the RS vibes is the general advice I have received, 

Rennsport 2016, there was one, white/red. 

Rennsport 2016 there were actually 3 running, both sessions in morning on the 2 days it was raining. I can assure you they were being used

31D3B87E-6E07-4A6E-A531-7B5EF9F72A6D.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 00:24, Rick V said:

Thanks Spiller, great intel.  Might check in with the lads @ Buiks.  We’re flying over next Saturday, and if things go well, hopefully drive her back to Adelaide same day. Would be good to get another 996.2 GT3 back into SA.

As an update from a few weeks back...... after my mate had purchased flights from Adel to Melb for the Saturday and organised a bank cheque + a wad of folding stuff, he was told by the seller on the Wednesday that the Red 996 GT3 had been sold locally. Bugger;- I was looking forward to the road-trip in a GT3 back from Melbourne!!  No refund on the flights...... what a pisser.  Anyone have any knowledge if it went to a PFA'er?

15 minutes ago, Rick V said:

As an update from a few weeks back...... after my mate had purchased flights from Adel to Melb for the Saturday and organised a bank cheque + a wad of folding stuff, he was told by the seller on the Wednesday that the Red 996 GT3 had been sold locally. Bugger;- I was looking forward to the road-trip in a GT3 back from Melbourne!!  No refund on the flights...... what a pisser.  Anyone have any knowledge if it went to a PFA'er?

Shame for you guys.. if its a hot item what i normally do in that situation is put a $500 sight unseen holding deposit on it then fly over to inspect, if its a horror story i just walk away but kindly ask for the deposit back only lost the deposit once..

I did see the red GT3 a few weeks ago up close it was very nice for sure..

Times are changing …. Yup I agree @James P, if its a winner car by my estimate , I normally throw out 500-1k as a gesture of good will and sincerity in my looking , subjcet to inspection or PPI .. money talks and to most it holds a lot of gravity if you genuinly need time to move yourself interstate.

I'm the same as you fellas. I always pay $1000 for them to hold it till I've travelled to see it. I've bought most of my cars sight unseen, but subject to a final inspection when I pick them up. Bit of a dick move to sell it on someone who's travelling interstate and had bought flights, would have been hard for them to do that if if a deposit had been paid. 

Problem with travelling is you effectively need to do all your negotiating prior, so it really is sold subject to a final inspection, not just that your coming to look then try and negotiate. You have no room to move when your 1000kms from home!  

I wouldn’t sell a car to someone else if an interested party had booked flights... bit of a dick move. Flights booked means very serious, I’m sure our resident tyre kicker doesn’t book flights just to kick tyres

1 minute ago, JLD said:

I wouldn’t sell a car to someone else if an interested party had booked flights... bit of a dick move. Flights booked means very serious, I’m sure our resident tyre kicker doesn’t book flights just to kick tyres

Nup I have heard many a story …aboit whos coming to look at my cars .. i reckon its like a 50/50 less rate of turning up.. really , it does come down to a balance of getting a serious engaement with the buyer , if your just emailing and smsing and firing off a million questions like the avergae porsche person does or feel is the norm , it all gets a bit dry…  without dragging the thread totally sideways into selling/buying philosophy.  You already pretty much will have worked out if its for you and if you trust what your being told in my book before you commit.. You know theres probably variance and I get it clear upfront .. work to the agreed price and if big numbers I might PPI and Im personally clear ,  the seller fixes it and they get your money.. or I have a low low ball number in mind and will decide if I wanna take on the issues.  if it costs me time ..unexpecetd time , it costs them money..and or they loose a solid buyer.

Im finding recently more an more people are over, the general nature of buyers and the million back and forth questions and really over carsales.  A call works many times , a visit can bring many results , a deposit pretty much will get you to the price gap discussion every time.  Sometimes for sure I look, just to look to get a feel of where the  market is at for a car/model , like when I hunted for 996 turbos , I saw 6 to get a feel for price and general condition, I personaly like to know my market and also know what things are selling for thats teh real market not the advertised dollar.  

Red GT3 is a bit of a prize .. quite rare and or unique , I would be moving quickly , if I was looking and felt it was close to stacking up as my dream car.

I've heard a hundred "I'm gonna" stories from my so called buyers, but very few carry through in person "I'm doing". I won't hold a car for anyone 99% of the time unless deposit is paid and that is always a deposit TO BUY, NO REFUND! I'll knock 2% off over the phone but I wont further negotiate selling price unless it's in person. I'm not into wasting my time when selling …... Or wasting my time when buying. I won't negotiate buying price unless it's in person either. I won't cross the road to look at a car unless it's almost the right price and I'll immediately  jump on a plane and take my chances. If I'm buying sight unseen it has to be a screaming bargain and I can't pass it up ...

1 hour ago, JLD said:

If you are a seller, and you have an interested buyer from interstate - then that is a very good reason for a hesitant local buyer to make a decision.

So this is a bargaining tool in the sellers favour: "buy it right now or the rich guy from the Gold Coast will get it instead of you".

30 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Bought two cars site unseen from interstate both turned out better than expected. paid in full  before I arrived . 

Good  chance I’m just an idiot . 

Not an idiot at all but maybe crazy like me.. I bought Fifteen 911’s from gt3’s to SC’s all site unseen & no PPI’s, all paid & delivered to my door.. all worked out well 

I wouldn’t look at a car unless we got in the ballpark on price first, particularly if interstate. I have a deposit on a car in Melbourne atm, have just returned from inspection. Was as described and all looks good - so of for PPI next week then  will pay balance. 

I think you have to be a bit flexible and try to qualify the car and the seller. Car sell interstate and even globally these days.

In 2013 I flew back into Australia to inspect a car after following the above process. Worked out, I still own the car. Incidentally it is pictured above at Rennsport @ SMSP.

17 minutes ago, 901er said:

Ahh it was you! I was trying to trade my mk2 with them on that car but someone paid a deposit before I could get serious about it. That was a good buy

It’s a very clean car, came with original steering wheel, std GT3 wheels, even has a trickle charger.

Front cage with side intrusion bars, extinguisher & kill switch.  I have watched the market for almost 10 years, the car is very complete.

Perhaps you could snip the white one.