996 GT3 Purchase

Looks like the white Martini liveried GT3 @ AH in Sydney has gone. Down to just one 996 GT3 Mk I listed on Carsales which is the blue WA car mentioned above.

You know, @ $125k for the WA genuine Mk I car, I would take a punt on buying it than the several 2006/7 Carrera 997 Carrera 4S's listed on Carsales at approximately the same $$ costs. And yes I realise the GT3 could have expensive issues if it has been abused, but so could a poorly serviced 4S engines which could experience bore scoring / IMS issues. The GT3 "should" hold its price better too, everything being equal ! I think buying either a GT3 or a 997 Carrera would necessitate a very accurate PPI......

I wonder what the vendor would take in cash now that its been sitting for sale for a few weeks ?

Nice.. i want it 

I remember watching Tony & his crew pulling out the interior when the car was brand new at Lakeside 2000 Porsche Cup, it was funny to watch the weight reduction happening trackside 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/_/SSE-AD-5967161

1 hour ago, James P said:

Nice.. i want it 

I remember watching Tony & his crew pulling out the interior when the car was brand new at Lakeside 2000 Porsche Cup, it was funny to watch the weight reduction happening trackside 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/_/SSE-AD-5967161

That is pretty wicked! I would want to put original lights and bar on it though... looks like a full weld in cage too? 

2 hours ago, hugh said:

Spoke with the new owner earlier today, sounds like a minter car! 

Excuse my ignorance didn’t see this one originally for sale, why the high price point, was there something specific about this car? Thanks 

In the global value context, that was not expensive and looked like a great car. Speed Yellow happens to be my favourite colour- it just seems to work on the MK1 shape.

Once upon a time, 964 RS was unloved and under valued. 

I suspect the same will be said for 996 GT3, particularly the CS

9 hours ago, Jason A said:

In the global value context, that was not expensive and looked like a great car. Speed Yellow happens to be my favourite colour- it just seems to work on the MK1 shape.

Once upon a time, 964 RS was unloved and under valued. 

I suspect the same will be said for 996 GT3, particularly the CS

Hope that is the case.  Speed Yellow also my favourite, which I will have if registerability is (still to be) confirmed on the car I'm looking at.....

On 06/03/2019 at 20:20, Jason A said:

can you get a fully caged car registered in Vic or NSW - Qld is no go

In Victoria - Absolutely NO.

In the past in Vic. if your RWC guy was blind & his seeing-eye dog liked you, there may have been a chance. These days the RWC guy has to submit photos with the documentation & nobody will risk loosing their meal-ticket. If the car has to go into Motor Registration Branch for Inspection; forget it. 

It seems that the girls who work in the Vic. Motor Registration Branch, who are in charge of RWCs, have an ongoing Jihad against performance (& interesting) cars. A mate just had a 2 hour tussle in the Motor Reg office over an older performance car not requiring a RWC for a Club Permit. When he challenged them, they made him wait hours to punish him even though he was right.

WOW _  this appears fairly priced $148,911 (for KMs and personalisation (seat trim)) , 2 owner full PCM service history 996 GT3. 

PS unusual for Aus Del to have rear bumper skirt extensions like seen on UK model.😦

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-2000/OAG-AD-16985109/?Cr=1

j10t03c49gf3ysbx8s44hi22d.jpg?pxc_method=crop&pxc_size=160%2c105

8 minutes ago, Windsor289 said:

WOW _  this appears fairly priced $148,911 (for KMs and personalisation (seat trim)) , 2 owner full PCM service history 996 GT3. 

PS unusual for Aus Del to have rear bumper skirt extensions like seen on UK model.😦

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-2000/OAG-AD-16985109/?Cr=1

j10t03c49gf3ysbx8s44hi22d.jpg?pxc_method=crop&pxc_size=160%2c105

Not sure I like the look of the rear bumper skirt extensions, do they actually do anything aerodynamically???

But it certainly seems to have a most complete service history.  Also looks as though there's been a great consistency of staff at PCM - looks like only 2 different signatures over the 19 year period....

Bit of a different vibe here now for the low km speed yellow gt3 mk1 top of market sales, I remember the negitive posts re the last one ($250k, moved quicky too) that was listed fs begining of last year. Has that sale/this now cracked the ice for these low use minter type of cars in your minds boys and girls?

5 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Bit of a different vibe here now for the low km speed yellow gt3 mk1 top of market sales, I remember the negitive posts re the last one ($250k, moved quicky too) that was listed fs begining of last year. Has that sale/this now cracked the ice for these low use minter type of cars in your minds boys and girls?

To me they are only back to original RRP for a car with such a pedigree (1868 built, 308 being RHD, 90 del to Aus) still cheap compared to other collectible/desirable Porsche models.

The Porsche 911 (996) GT3 was the spiritual successor to the original '73 Carrera RS and was designed to be light in weight and performance focussed with scant regard to luxury and comfort items that would add to the car's weight but detract from its performance. With the advent of the water-cooled 996, Porsche needed to find a way to continue the lineage of its motorsport-focused 964 and 993 RS models. The answer was the Mk1 GT3. Built by hand away from the main 996 production line, the GT3 enabled the homologation necessary for Porsche to provide cars for a wide range of GT racing series (including Le Mans) as well as a one-make Carrera Cup series.

The significant difference between the mainstream 996 range and the GT3 was the dry-sumped Mezger engine, which used a completely different block from the rest of the range (being the same as that in the GT1). Thanks to its titanium and plasma-nitrided internals, it generated 100bhp per litre from its high-revving, high-compression, normally aspirated 3,600cc six-cylinder boxer engine. Performance was very impressive with 0-60 mph coming up in 4.8 seconds and a top speed of 186 mph. 

GT3 is a very special car and especially the first generation. It is the only GT3 built at Porsche development and research center in Weissach.

It is the first and last GT3 with mechanical throttle and because of that you feel more part of the machine.

996 GT3 mk1 is simply the purest GT3 and gives the purest driving experience.

40 minutes ago, hugh said:

10k on the clock, totally original and very neat CS. 

I looked at it last week when I was in town, they definately had some interest so not surprised it’s gone and agree Hugh it was very tidy