996 GT3 Purchase

10 hours ago, GUT said:

And ‘leather clubsport seats’!? In other words standard GT3 leather sports seats. NOT clubsport nomex seats. A classy joint like that should get their facts sorted. And put a price on it.

Hi GUT, they are actually Recaro (GT3) seats leather trimmed ILO of Nomex (same seat)

Aus (996) GT3 appear to have been delivered with 3 seat options:

1)      Recaro, Nomex (fire retardant) covered, no height or rake adjustment _ no cost in Clubsport equipment  = Option code 003,

2)      Recaro, Leather covered (Porsche crest ) no height or rake adjustment (same seat as above) = No Option code on build ID , or

3)      Cost option electric adjustable seat (normal 996 sport seat) _ option code 375/378 + height adjust 539/540

p.s. Did anyone order a 996 GT3 in 1999/2000?. And were the leather Recaro seats really a no cost option in Aus.?

The leather covered fix back recaro was the standard issue seat in GT3. 

You could option the electric sports seats (as above) in a GT3, but not in combination with 003

M code 003 (Clubsport) added the same seat in nomex/perlon fabric and the other cs package items. 

Hence the term “touring” is not correct, they never officially made a GT3 touring until 991.2 

Komfort is probably the better (but ironic) term. 

19 hours ago, Windsor289 said:

Hi GUT, they are actually Recaro (GT3) seats leather trimmed ILO of Nomex (same seat)

Aus (996) GT3 appear to have been delivered with 3 seat options:

1)      Recaro, Nomex (fire retardant) covered, no height or rake adjustment _ no cost in Clubsport equipment  = Option code 003,

2)      Recaro, Leather covered (Porsche crest ) no height or rake adjustment (same seat as above) = No Option code on build ID , or

3)      Cost option electric adjustable seat (normal 996 sport seat) _ option code 375/378 + height adjust 539/540

p.s. Did anyone order a 996 GT3 in 1999/2000?. And were the leather Recaro seats really a no cost option in Aus.?

I stand corrected 

i had a pair of CS seats in my red thing for a while. Fantastic seats and actually very comfy

• 2 weeks later...

Test drive yesterday in anger - at Baskerville for CAMS Club Challenge.  Only hillclimb - half the circuit.  Awesome power, LHD a big learning curve, only went gardening once...  Club Sport spec.   Surprised at how far to the right the pedals are offset in a LHD car.  First time getting the tail out and being able to control it, Fantastic!!!    Red line comes up real quick!!    I think I'm hooked!!!   Would like to do 15-20 laps of Symmons Plains in order to get the right hand gear change bit sorted out - I reckon that would just about do it to get a basic familiarisation and retraining.

20190525_092605_resized.jpg

7 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Test drive yesterday in anger - at Baskerville for CAMS Club Challenge.  Only hillclimb - half the circuit.  Awesome power, LHD a big learning curve, only went gardening once...  Club Sport spec.   Surprised at how far to the right the pedals are offset in a LHD car.  First time getting the tail out and being able to control it, Fantastic!!!    Red line comes up real quick!!    I think I'm hooked!!!   Would like to do 15-20 laps of Symmons Plains in order to get the right hand gear change bit sorted out - I reckon that would just about do it to get a basic familiarisation and retraining.

20190525_092605_resized.jpg

Cool! More photos please. 

Whats the story behind  this beast? 

1 minute ago, 901er said:

Cool! More photos please. 

Whats the story behind  this beast? 

Ex Perrini car (you may remember he had matching LHD and RHD cars - RHD one was campaigned in a lot of road Rallies (Targa Tas etc).  This car apparently imported from Singapore or Hong Kong I believe??  Was introduced to Richard at Targa Tas this year, he said he got the car mainly for the engine (so he could swap it into the RHD car while he had some work done on that car's engine, then swapped back into the LHD car after Peter Fitzgerald breathed on it a bit).  Definitely not a standard engine, sounds far hotter than the current owner's GT3RS!!

Hopefully will give the current owner the "Yes" today, even though I haven't sold my 996 C2 yet, just one final bit of negotiating to do with management....

I've otherwise kept the car details a bit on the quiet so far, but am happy to make these details known now.  Haven't taken many other photos yet, will post in due course...

Car is pretty stripped out, decision as to how many creature comforts are added back in will depend on whether I am able to get any road registration for it.  Owner also has enough parts to do a RHD conversion (from a C4S wreck), need to consider what that would do to the car's value and registerability.  Another mate has more "comfort" parts he got when he purchased his race GT3 that I can also acquire...

Couldn't resist watching the 996 GT2 Clubsport that was auctioned at Lloyds tonight. Not sure if it reached reservce etc, however this was the final bid. Appreciate this is a GT3 watching thread however thought it would fit well here regardless.

996GT2Auction.PNG

Yes I agree. Being the last of the true widow makers they represent the last gasp of a previous time. I feel the GT3 does have the collectability advantage of being NA, in time I feel NA will be unique in a flood of efficient turbo charged cars.  That said … a CS GT2 .. don't seem many of them. 

On 26/05/2019 at 05:47, DJM said:

Always surprising that these don't pull bigger $.  

I really think the 996 GT2 is the steal in the market at the moment... I am quietly confident we will look back in 5-10 years and say "why the hell didn't we buy a GT2 @ early 200's in 2019" :LOL:

2 hours ago, edgy said:

I really think the 996 GT2 is the steal in the market at the moment... I am quietly confident we will look back in 5-10 years and say "why the hell didn't we buy a GT2 @ early 200's in 2019" :LOL:

I would love to drive one 

5 hours ago, edgy said:

I reckon the 997 gt2 with a very high 2 out front will out out pace the 996 gt2   in 5 to 10 years time.    That was a good buy especially if someone upgraded from a 993 turbo.

6 hours ago, wilson59 said:

I would love to drive one 

Be careful what you wish for, ive seen/heard of a few written off.  One PFAer let his employee have a drive and it ended up on its roof.  No SC/TC.....

Here's mine a few years ago.  It hit 263 down the straight at PI but lap times on semis no faster than my times in a GT4 on road tyres.......probably something to do with the size of my plums.  😬

6 hours ago, DJM said:

Be careful what you wish for, ive seen/heard of a few written off.  One PFAer let his employee have a drive and it ended up on its roof.  No SC/TC.....

Here's mine a few years ago.  It hit 263 down the straight at PI but lap times on semis no faster than my times in a GT4 on road tyres.......probably something to do with the size of my plums.  😬

All the above mentioned is the reason I would love to drive one . Remember the straight at PI starts at turn 11 that will always test the size of your plums 

18 hours ago, edgy said:

I agree, I sold mine in 2017 at that figure, and it looked as though the only way was up from there.

Quick question for someone whose car is close at hand.  Looking at trailers, need to know height of top of sill from ground (so I can work out how high the sides can be and still open the door).  Can someone measure their car for me - looking for standard height, believe my car is probably an inch lower.....

thanks

Peter