OIL SMOKE ON START UP - ROTHSPORT REMEDY

Niko

Prior to my recent engine drop to fix a few oil leaks i used to get the puff of smoke on start up, regardless of the time between drives. Now it only happens when (as Tazzieman pointed out)  she is not driven for a bit, I'm putting this down to replacing the missing restrictor in the engine breather to oil tank hose.

My engine has done less than 20k since it was totally re-built, so I would agree that it's not worth (to me) to spend the $$ on something that not really a problem.

Possibly in some of the US states this may be an issue to get their version of a roadworthy, maybe this is where some demand for the fix came from?

The PP blurb

There is nothing worse than having all eyes on you as you step into your 911 only to have a gigantic smoke screen come from the exhaust on start up.

There is something worse - the bill from the engine work required to remedy the wear and tear that reflects this scenario!

I have never seen the gigantic smokescreen on any 911, and the occasional start up puffs are hohum - you wouldn't get one at an emissions testing station unless you parked it outside a couple of days before anyway.

I just switched from mineral to synthetic and had a bit of a smoke festival after two weeks of sitting. The previous mineral oil didn't smoke at all.

I reckon I would have been tempted to buy this on that day! :P

I can't really drive the 964 during the week and if I have a busy weekend or two then it could sit for two or three weeks. Therefore smoke on startup... :(

John Willhoit - Porsche restorer for the well off - discovered Porsche themselves were using a similar valve on their '62 race cars and found a modern day use. He talks about it from 7:15 onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qyluq2j27g#t=434

For 911's it just seems to be a function of how worn the oil pump, ie end and side clearances between the gears and the pump housing, how long the engine is left standing and cold oil viscosity.

• 4 years later...

I put one on and it starved the engine of oil.  It was put on correctly, but the pump would not open it by suction.  I think this is a very dangerous modification.  As your pump gets older it allows oil to seep into the crankcase causing smoke on startup.  When your pump is worn to this level that a check valve is needed to stop smoke, it is also at risk of not being able to suck the valve open.  I would warn anyone off it.