924 Martini Resurrection tips

Mikey1st

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha i have found one with very slight cracking for $450

How to stop it cracking further is the question!

You can drill holes at the end of the cracks but when the sun hits...

Be careful not to overcapitalise on these cars.

Haha i have found one with very slight cracking for $450

Great looking little car, nice to see you save it. Please paint the front valance it's bothering my ocd :-)

The dashboard doctor in Melbourne will recover a dashboard for about $400 from memory, they typically do a great job, you can always road freight it down. Maybe worth calling and asking.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 years later...

Thought id put a little update here about the progress.

Unfortunately this car went back in the garage for about 9 months and once pulled out again i couldn't get it to run (would idle but wouldn't go over 20km ph) off to the mechanic it went where he found that the old petrol from sitting for years had rusted the inside of the petrol tank, when i got the car going for the first time i sturred it all up and when i went to run it again i put all the rust down the fuel lines.

He ended up having the car for about 18 months and from off the top of my head he has
Pulled out tank and resealed the inside with a rubber/silver mix.
replaced a bunch of cracked/leaking fuel lines
replaced fuel distributor
replaced Warm up reg
Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter
had to make a bunch of gaskets himself as we couldnt find any for sale.

I currently have the car back as we wait for injectors to be delivered and it should be back up and running.

Once thats done next steps:
Find out why taco and temp gauge arnt working and fix
Find someone to respray car and replace stripes
Find someone to repair upholstery. 

I expect it will be done over the course of a year or 2 just gradually chipping away at it .

3 hours ago, Mikey1st said:

Once thats done next steps:

Find out why taco and temp gauge arnt working and fix
Find someone to respray car and replace stripes
Find someone to repair upholstery. 

I expect it will be done over the course of a year or 2 just gradually chipping away at it .

About 1/2 way down the page are "Martini edition" seat cloth covers and at about 3/4 down are the Martini stickers ...

Hope this helps ..

http://www.werk924.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=26

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

About 1/2 way down the page are "Martini edition" seat cloth covers and at about 3/4 down are the Martini stickers ...

Hope this helps ..

http://www.werk924.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=26

OMG Thank you! This seriously helps heaps!.

Have you delt with those guys before?

9 hours ago, Mikey1st said:

OMG Thank you! This seriously helps heaps!.

Have you delt with those guys before?

Firstly ..... you're very welcome! :Beer:

Yes, I have bought fabric from them before for a 924 and a 944 .... no issues with the product or delivery ...

I will be buying more from them in the future when I do more work on the 924 without hesitation .... the only thing to remember is that you are dealing in Euros so the exchange rate at the time makes a difference to the actual cost.

If you haven't already, go and check out this site .... it is a forum in the UK just for 924's .... happy reading!!

https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/index.php?sid=1a06f45a903b8d487a061834a5bf1f86

13 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Firstly ..... you're very welcome! :Beer:

Yes, I have bought fabric from them before for a 924 and a 944 .... no issues with the product or delivery ...

I will be buying more from them in the future when I do more work on the 924 without hesitation .... the only thing to remember is that you are dealing in Euros so the exchange rate at the time makes a difference to the actual cost.

If you haven't already, go and check out this site .... it is a forum in the UK just for 924's .... happy reading!!

https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/index.php?sid=1a06f45a903b8d487a061834a5bf1f86

Thanks mate, just signed up and will have a lot of reading to do.

Just curious, how did you make an order to werk924, I can't quite figure it out from their website?

I couldn' work it out either so I just emailed them directly .... my whole transaction was done this way and I just told them what I wanted from their website and got sent an invoice ....

It was a bit scary just sending money to someone that I've only dealt with via email, but absolutely no issues ....

Before I bought anything, I got 2 x samples of seat material sent just to make sure it was what I wanted.

I dealt with Andrea, but you will also find Thomas is a member on the UK 924 site.

andrea.schlosser@werk924.com

a small hint ..... if you open a new page and Google "translate German to English" it will come up with a small box to paste text into ..... then highlight the text on their site that you don' quite understand, copy it and paste it into the box on the Google page and it will translate it for you ... much easier than doing it word by word ...

Have dealt with these guys as well with no problems and you can email to them in English. I bought the Martini seat covers and I'm very happy with them.

Carbone garage do the Martini stickers and are cheaper than werk924 but haven't seen the quality first hand also check out the Porsche decal shop in the UK.. 

• 7 months later...

Another progress update!!

SHE LIVES! New injectors are in and she is running great.

only downside, looks like alternator might be dead...

ended up buying new front and and rear seats and side decals from 924werk, once it’s running 100% they will go in, then to find someone to pull dash out.

dash doctor has quoted $600 to fix the dash which isn’t bad

4 hours ago, Mikey1st said:

ended up buying new front and and rear seats and side decals from 924werk, once it’s running 100% they will go in, then to find someone to pull dash out.

Taking the dash out isn't hard (I have done too many dashes in my life ... not a fan of this job) - but putting it back in will take some patience. Also, redone dashes never fit quite as easily as original.

Make sure you clean all the grounds back there whilst you have everything accessible, and use the opportunity to inspect all wiring, and the steering column bearings.

Just saw this thread .. and thought it was a Canberra car.

thinking  seen this car at Notaris motorsport. Bit sun roasted , but driving.??

as for club rego if owner still looking round , likely sone better clubs avail that will A welcome you with open arms and B have a strong tech focus 

im buying fabric for my GT rep so if anyone want to piggyback on the order let me know 

as for the dash , hope I can showy’all My new (diy) reskin in a couple weeks 

hope this project keeps on coming 

as for club rego if owner still looking round , likely sone better clubs avail that will A welcome you with open arms and B have a strong tech focus 

im buying fabric for my GT rep so if anyone want to piggyback on the order let me know 

Haha you’re right, the old girl is at Marty’s shop, he did say he had it running but just working through some of the smaller issues.

possible dead alternator, checking water pump, temp sender etc

i ended up joining the Porsche club canberra and got the historic plates with them and comes with a discount to gulsons if ever needed

anyone you can recommend in Canberra to pull the dash out?

12 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

@michel

what kind of fabric & colour are you buying. I take it its for a 924 turbo.

is the fabric different from black 944 stuff?

may be interested in a bulk buy.

Brian

I’m still canvassing my options 

it’s for the Brown GT rep. Currently has that Berber interior . But I’m thinking I want to guzzzy it up a little 

so not select fabrics yet and will fit some factory sport Recaro and recover 

theres a great interiors thread on PP might ask gents here for opinions 

short answer won’t be black 

Archived