Cheap Cayennes

AC78

Thought I’d update this thread.

We have clicked over 30,000klms now and I’ve just done the only job it’s needed. The rear drive shaft centre bearing gave up on us so I just replaced the whole shaft and bearing at the one time. Cost was $750 and I did the job myself. Easy job really but that was with the floor hoist. Would prolly be a pain in the rear on stands alone. To be honest it took longer to undo the exhaust bolts than it took to fit the shaft. 

While I was there I fitted a new set of 19” wheels and tyres I’d bought a few weeks ago as it was getting due for tyres. Much quieter and the slightly higher aspect 50 series tyre seems to give it a smoother ride. I went with Goodyear Eagle F1 SUV tyres. The might not be as flash as the P zero’s that it had on it but so far after a short TD they seems pretty good.  

This is a good guide. I was fairly relaxed about the whole thing and took it easy. Total work time was about 3hrs. I’d expect a workshop could do it in 2. 

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/300061-cayenne-cardan-shaft-replacement-03-06-all-sub-models.html

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So nearly 2 years on, how are the Cayennes going? Looking at some at the moment...

Our 2007 S hasn't skipped a beat. Coming up on 3 years of ownership. First service was $1,100 but included $460 for tail gate gas struts. $550 for the next service then $600 for the next service. Last service was $1,500 including front and rear pads, don't really know why the rest of the service was more expensive. Michelin Tyres were bought at some point for $2,000, ouch! I couldn't tell you what mileage we got on tyres and brakes but given my wife's driving style, I'd say not much out of the brakes. Tyres seem to wear even and definitely isn't excessive. If it wasn't for the little shits that sit in the back, the car would present just as well as it did when we got it, whoever eventually details the thing has their work cut out for them. Overall we're very pleased with the experience so far.

We have owned our '08 Cayenne for nearly 2 years now and absolutely love it .... 

No issues at all and would recommend one to anyone .....

We have just listed ours for sale but not because we don't like it or because it's given us any trouble .... just because we don't drive it enough .... only 2,000 k's in the last 6 months ....

Sold my wife's 2010 V6 about 6 months ago. It was a beautiful car to drive, just not up hills. Something not right about revving the tits off a V6 in a large SUV. Would do a diesel or turbo next time. I am going to need a tow car to pull a GT3 cup when I get my hands on one and I would definitely consider getting back into one for myself and double it as a daily. Either that or a ute and whilst the ute is more practical, it's just not me.

I love a previous gen GTS or turbo but they're still quite expensive for a car that is getting rather old. 

Sold my wife's 2010 V6 about 6 months ago. It was a beautiful car to drive, just not up hills. Something not right about revving the tits off a V6 in a large SUV. Would do a diesel or turbo next time. I am going to need a tow car to pull a GT3 cup when I get my hands on one and I would definitely consider getting back into one for myself and double it as a daily. Either that or a ute and whilst the ute is more practical, it's just not me.

I love a previous gen GTS or turbo but they're still quite expensive for a car that is getting rather old. 

I can confirm that the standard 4.8L V8 is plenty powerful enough for any situation ...

Put it in sports mode, and it doubles as a racing car as well ....

I had my doubts regarding a V6 which is why I didn't buy one .... although I have never driven one.

what was the fuel consumption like?  Bad because needing to floor it?

I seem to recall reading that fuel consumption for the V6 was up there with the V8 because it had to work so hard to keep it moving. Don't know how true it is.

I can confirm that the standard 4.8L V8 is plenty powerful enough for any situation ...

Put it in sports mode, and it doubles as a racing car as well ....

I had my doubts regarding a V6 which is why I didn't buy one .... although I have never driven one.

I like the sound of that. Plus the GTS looks tits. Just checking prices though...50-60K for a 9 year old car is difficult to justify.

Yep, 600 kms to a tank around town. 90L tank = 15L/100 kms. Our diesel Jeep is a bigger, heavier car and gets 11 plus it has enough torque to pull down the great wall.

Sounds like the Toyota Kluger a friend of mine bought under wifely urging of needing space.  After retuning 20l/100 around the city  he flicked it on principle.  Might have been the 'stomp and go' driving style some, ahem, people have.  Easier to swap the car than change the driver.

I like the sound of that. Plus the GTS looks tits. Just checking prices though...50-60K for a 9 year old car is difficult to justify.

The update 4.8L (2007 and on) can be had for under $40k ...... that's a lot of car for the money ......

The update 4.8L (2007 and on) can be had for under $40k ...... that's a lot of car for the money ......

Higher kms I'm assuming? Now that sort of money I can justify. From what it seems, the GTS is the "top of the line" of sorts? Seems to be higher spec than the turbo just not as much power? Or have I got it all wrong?

Higher kms I'm assuming? Now that sort of money I can justify. From what it seems, the GTS is the "top of the line" of sorts? Seems to be higher spec than the turbo just not as much power? Or have I got it all wrong?

I've never really understood the GTS thing .... I believe it is higher spec'd but I'm not sure of the exact specs of it so I really can't comment .....

When you say higher k's ..... everyone has a different take on that. We just advertised our car with 113,000 k's ...... to me that is hardly run in for a 4.8L V8 .... to you that may be high .....

I've never really understood the GTS thing .... I believe it is higher spec'd but I'm not sure of the exact specs of it so I really can't comment .....

When you say higher k's ..... everyone has a different take on that. We just advertised our car with 113,000 k's ...... to me that is hardly run in for a 4.8L V8 .... to you that may be high .....

These things will do hundreds of thousands so I agree with you. I think the market has another idea of though. Our old V6 had 70K on it and felt new.

• 1 month later...

Thought I’d do another update. 

Our Cayenne has now clicked over 240,000klms. 

Jobs done. The wife replaced the rear door gas struts,the AC blower fan and reg and the fuel pump since last update. All easy jobs just the fuel pump needing a (cheap) porsche tool. She did them herself just asking me to check her work every now and again not that she needed it. 

Other than that I’ve just serviced it and it keeps eating up the miles. We are going though a car change around here right now and I’m tossing up on updating it. 

Hi Uncle, Just joined the Cayenne club with a 2005, 146,000Km buy. This forum gave me a bit more confidence to go shopping and I found a local one and took the gamble. Happy so far and am really enjoying the comfort factor and view compared to previous sports cars. Gradually getting used to the size and weight.                    I also am needing to replace the 4 rear struts. Can you tell me where you found the best place to buy them from, 'cause they are quite pricey?

• 1 month later...

Had the first near fail to proceed last Thursday night. As my wife was driving up our longish driveway it when into limp mode. She reversed back down and I put my diagnostic tool on it to see if it was throwing any codes. Yep, right bank cam sensor and crank sensor. 

As it happened my father in law was planning to see a patient almost next to Autohaus so I asked him to pick me up two cam sensors ( If one fails the other is a matter of time) and a new crank sensor and inlet manifold gaskets from James. 

Pelican parts has a reasonable tech write up of how to do the job and recommend removing the inlet manifold in order to gain access to the cam sensors at the back of the motor. On Friday night I thought I’d make a start on the job and get it stripped down and sensors removed so it was just a matter of fitting them back in once my FIL dropped them by on Saturday. 

After looking at it I decided not to spend 6 hours removing the manifold and simply removed the air pumps at the back of the motor. This gives you juuuust enough room to get to the cam sensors. Its a fiddly job but not impossible and won’t take 6 freaking hours to do. I had the PAX bank out in 20 minutes and the drivers side is a little harder and took about 40 minutes. Its mostly just getting the bolt that holds the sensor out. Crank sensor is dead easy to get to and once you have the PAX side air blower out you can get to the plug without issue. Again Pelican recommend pulling the manifold off your to get to the plug. Don’t it would be a total waste of time. Use a mirror to get a look at the plug reach down and undo it. Total time 5 minutes. 

I had stuff to do on Saturday so left the car apart till Sunday. Cris was keen to get stuck in and get her hands dirty so I get her the simple task of refitting the cam sensors. Also a little easier for her to do the job having smaller hands makes it much easier to get the bolts back in. 

Once done I cleared the error codes and and its running better than ever. Clearly the cam signal was weak before and the engine was pulling timing out of it under load. For a car with 240,000klms now on it it still drives like a new car. I whilst I was under it doing the crank sensor (It reads off the ring gear in the back of the engine) I had a look at the suspension bushes. Everything is still like new.

Best birthday ever lol.

E5A6986A-2249-4155-A2FE-BF5DF6B973F7_zps

Cam and crank sensors.

URL]463FD2DE-DF58-4136-8AAC-F5347E5CDC90_zps

Oh and I found this bit whilst I was doing the job. Clearly some Porsche tech is down one lol.

0EE5BFCE-AFF9-4A62-8EED-56F07F3E4FDE_zps

Nicely done Uncle....I'm not too good with mechanical stuff but I do like to have a go at the stuff that's on the surface and not elbow deep in the internals.

Good to see that the safe practices of towel and high vis clothing were in use :-)

Archived