Factory LHD or RHD 930 t

Carrera86

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some other small things that are "different" to what I have seen on other 930s (i.e. not necessarily 100% accurate, just my observations)..

no front fog lights

no "pleating" on door cards, appear to be smooth

Same with rear seats

Same with front seats (also they appear to have adjustable head rests, thought should be fixed?)

rear parcel tray appears to have been altered to allow for aftermarket rear sash belts, probably  only had lap belts originally

is that metallic paint? did they come with metallic paint?

carpet in bonnet looks non original

wheels obviously not original

considering all that and that the VIN is correct for RHD, could it be that someone has fully "restored" it and just put wrong bumper on as they obviously were not going (or didn't know) full OEM look? eg they needed a rear bumper and got one second hand that is correct one for a 930 but didn't realise it was a USA spec bumper.

I dont know but  for the price there may be better options coming up?

Just too many odd things about it, 

He did say previous owner spent $70k on a restoration,

Speedo was changed when he got it, but he still has the orig one in miles 

Kms speedo when he got it had done 14500 kms 

Is this one in the too hard basket ? 

Ring ring, Ring Ring, hello I'm calling about the Porsche you have for sale and have a few questions regarding its history and authenticity….blah blah blah…..

Just saying :ph34r:

I have spoken to him , he knows nothing about  Porsche`s  and he bought it from a  car dealer  with no history 

I dont know but  for the price there may be better options coming up?

Just too many odd things about it, 

He did say previous owner spent $70k on a restoration

Speedo was changed when he got it, but he still has the orig one in miles 

Kms speedo when he got it had done 14500 kms 

Is this one in the too hard basket ? 

It depends on if you want a 100% original one? if so, add minimum $20k to his price.

If not, find out all the work that was done for the $70k (and when), it will probably explain the full interior trim (even thought not to original finish) and if has had respray and new bumpers (and why, crashed?), if he says $70k was spent, he probably has receipts to show this. Also,where it was from originally? if in miles might UK, HK (was mph before handover?)-difference in potential rust factor? what did the "engine reconditioning"  include, etc

I actually like it if you can knock him down a bit considering everything...

I have spoken to him , he knows nothing about  Porsche`s  and he bought it from a  car dealer  with no history

well that makes a bit of a difference, how can he claim all the work that was done if he hasn't history/documentation of it..

Hi Scott   

Only receipts he has is the work he has had done  $30k worth  , over the 13 years he has had it 

i have seen all the receipts ...

As i say i don`t know much about the 930 Turbo , only that i have been in one and driven one 

But as for what you can get for your money in them today  i dont know , 

Just that i want a Factory RHD  . 

I saw this one and put it out to the forum for advice ,

The Healey factory has one but its a conversion $79k 

Paul

You are going to be spending $130K+ for an original Aussi RHD so be prepared to spend alot more money than this for what will be a car with much higher mileage. This will never be a museum piece, but if you are just after a seriously cool car, and don't mind a bit of 'mutt' get it mechanically checked out and if all is good, make the guy a ridiculously low offer, citing PFA as confirmation that his 'basket case' of a vehicle is 'authentically challenged' and deserves a discount. All imports seem to have very questionable low mileage on them. 

Been watching 930's for sale for the last 6 months and there is very rarely anything that is really desirable or perfectly authentic, so you just need to be patient and be prepared to wait (and pounce when one comes up). There are only a few colour combinations that work for me also which makes it even harder to find something. 

This blue one is at the Healey factory in Melbourne. I saw it a few weeks ago - properly cool car and worth a look as Healey fully check and back up their vehicles

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=OAG-AD-863172&Cr=2

Hi Scott   

Only receipts he has is the work he has had done  $30k worth  , over the 13 years he has had it 

i have seen all the receipts ...

As i say i don`t know much about the 930 Turbo , only that i have been in one and driven one 

But as for what you can get for your money in them today  i dont know , 

Just that i want a Factory RHD  . 

I saw this one and put it out to the forum for advice ,

The Healey factory has one but its a conversion $79k 

Paul

As suggested by others, ask Porsche for confirmation of country it was delivered in to, that will confirm either way if is RHD or LHD convert, or maybe a PPI could confirm any welds, etc that show as converted ?

As posted above, if the original speedo is in miles, definitly not Aussie delivered .....

Your main concern if it was UK delivered is the potential rust issues that they are notorius for .... you will need to tread carefully here as if it has the dreaded UK rust issues, that one for sale for $135k could start to look like a bargain ....

Better you get independent advice from someone that knows what they are looking for and talking about .....

Also, these imports will always be cheaper to buy and consequently, cheaper to sell later on .... don't go into it expecting to buy it cheap, then sell it for the same price as an Aussie delivered one. I'm not saying it won't rise in value like all the aircooled, just won't sell for the same premium ....

Form says ................

Model year              = 1983

Engine  type            = M93066

Gear box                 =  G93034

Inv date                   =   1983-01-05

Country Equipment = C16 Great Britain

Paint                        = 9999

Would  C16 GB   mean that its from Great Britain , were they all RHD from there ?

Cheers 

Paul

Form says ................

Paint                        = 9999

Would  C16 GB   mean that its from Great Britain , were they all RHD from there ?

Cheers 

Paul

Yep.. C16 is the country code for UK, and yes RHD, so appears it is original RHD, with wrong bumper added somewhere later (after crash?)

I believe 9999 paint code is special colour as specified by person who originally ordered it (rather than the standard Porsche colours available at the time)

http://philipraby.co.uk/porsche-country-codes/

firstly I will clarify that mine isn't a 930, it's an SC. As shady said, door mirrors are offset, and sometimes not relocated. Mine have been. I think the radio aerial on a lhd is on the left whereas it's on the right on a rhd. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I saw a photo only yesterday that had the booster on the left in a rhd car. Obviously a l to r conversion.

Aerial is on the right for LHD.

As for why US bumpers, likely that someone federalised the car for registration in the USA at some point. Lots of grey market 930s in the USA because Porsche stopped selling them there. You had to add the big bumpers, change the filler neck, add reflectors - all kinds of stuff.

But if it's a RHD ... Well I don't know. Spare parts fitted would be my only guess.

Archived