Looking to get into a 911

rminc

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are entering the market at a time when prices have gone mental. I'm not sure with that budget you'll find anything that doesn't need some work , perhaps a LHD model. Even the earlier SCs are now fetching 35k upwards. UK imports are cheaper but may have issues , and any older 911 may have had accident repairs.

A useful resource : http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_prepurchase/911_prepurchase.htm

Most good 3.2s sell very quickly , you have to strike like a cobra so it pays to do your homework. You may not have time to organise a formal inspection as a number of people are happy to buy sight unseen.

A targa will cost less than a coupe.

What are your limits re body style , colour , mods , LHD vs RHD?

Hi Rminc,

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Worth having a read through these;

There are plenty of other threads on here in relation to people seeking their first 911 and whats involved. In short you'll struggle to land a 3.2 with a 35k budget unfortunately. Keep doing your research and saving would be my only advice.  :rolleyes:

Best of luck! 

there are a few around...

ScreenShot2015-02-14at94453pm_zps95d686b

And then there's these...I reckon the orange one is pretty cool.. I called the seller for a chat. Very friendly dealer... said that since he is paying $40 per lead, the car is starting to cost a small fortune with all the enquiries he is getting!

ScreenShot2015-02-14at94444pm_zps857eec0

But I think this one is the pick and don't really know why it's still hanging around...

ScreenShot2015-02-14at94502pm_zps98f872a

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1985/SSE-AD-3175526/?Cr=5

there are a few around...

ScreenShot2015-02-14at94453pm_zps95d686b

And then there's these...I reckon the orange one is pretty cool.. I called the seller for a chat. Very friendly dealer... said that since he is paying $40 per lead, the car is starting to cost a small fortune with all the enquiries he is getting!

ScreenShot2015-02-14at94444pm_zps857eec0

But I think this one is the pick and don't really know why it's still hanging around...

ScreenShot2015-02-14at94502pm_zps98f872a

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1985/SSE-AD-3175526/?Cr=5

Convertible,

Targa,

Convertible,

Botch up L/Hooker,

Targa.

NO COUPE

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like $35k will probably land me a targa model which is not what I want.

I am after a RHD (Prefer non UK import) coupe.

What sort of budget would be more appropriate to find something in relatively good condition?

Contact GusTV. He has two and he might be hungover enough this morning to consider getting rid of one (friends bucks night last night)

This one lasted only a few days on carsales and i think went for over $70K

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1985/SSE-AD-3246432/?Cr=10

For a really good aussi example you might need to add at least $25K to your budget

Thanks for the prompt reply.

70k for what white one is a fair bit, I don't think I am even the slightest bit close with my budget of $35k as that one looks pretty much spot on to what I am after.

May need to look into another car all together unfortunately. Cannot stretch my budget that much. I could probably go up to around 40-45k although it seems all that will get me is a decent Targa which I prefer not to buy or a really really rough UK import.

Hi rminc,

Unfortunately you have entered the scene when prices have gone absolutley ballistic ....

Thos cars posted above would have been $45k cars only 12 months ago .... better than money in the bank ....

The truth of the matter is that for $35k you will find a coupe that needs another boatload of cash thrown at it .... which is probably why the owner is selling it .. they dont have the money to fix it.

You will find that 95% of owners know and follow the market, so they are fully versed up on the value of these cars ... no one sells one $20k under market when all it need is $1,500 of cosmetic touch ups.

I suggest you read the 2 x posts that hugh posted above for an insight into the aircooled market ...

Realistically, you will need to either :

seriously adjust your budget to the $40's, and look for an SC (carrera 3.2 is now in the $50's) although I don't know why the big difference

Consider a targa or convertible

Buy a left hooker or a conversion

Unfortunately, being the bearer of bad news, there is no way you will find a 3.2 near that budget ......

Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like the 3.2 is way out of my budget and I prefer not to buy an SC or a Targa model so I might look at something else all together.

Thanks for all the advice.

Why not an SC? Have you driven one?

A sc vs 3.2 is much less of a compromise than 911 vs something else. What other cars are you considering?

Archived