964 C2 Manual - How Slippery is that Slope??

DS911

After getting my hoist ramps finished I spent some time under the car deciding exactly how far I am going to go with th one. The last 911 (SC) got the full treatment and it took me some time to recover from the time and cost :)

So what I've decided is to break it down into sections and attend to any required repairs then clean and refurb as I go. This way I can get the car on the road in between projects. I'm going to use it as a bit of a learning experience for my 13 year old son as he is keen to help with the dismantling and assembly.

I'll try and document as much of it as I go so hopefully it can help others who are attempting some of the repair and maintenance items I encounter.

Anyway, here are the finished ramps. Just got the floor to paint but that can wait....

414CBC33-C264-4F8D-ADE2-4C94E4954813_zps

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it has begun.

First project = clean wheel wells and front end. Plate hardware, powder coat tinware and touch up some spots where wheel rub is evident (thanks 18" wheels!!). Replace faulty air con blower resistor while I'm at it.

95E269AC-A0F1-4412-A976-1A029F609C4C_zps

That's a great idea Steve - thanks.  I am painting the floor and was wondering how I might manage the area under the lift.  I was thinking more about the paint being damaged by the wheels and keeping the area clean, but it makes sense the wheels will eventually cut into the concrete.

Darren

Can you give us details of your scissor lift?

Lift is from Happ (happ.com.au).  I wanted a lift that was compact but also it had to have mechanical stops, some use air compressors as well as the hydraulics.

I am very happy with the quality.  It weights almost 500kgs and it feels very solid.  The motor and fluid reservoir are mounted on the wall so it's very easy to operate.  It requires 15 amp plus but works on single phase.

When I was choosing a lift it was between the Happ and Bendpack.  I spoke to Gavin at Happ a few times and so decided to save some money and go with his product.  I feel like I made the right choice.

Setup was reasonably easy but a bit time consuming by the time you get it off the trailer, manoeuvre it into position, do some minor assembly, fill with fluid, get a 15A plug fitted, etc.

The movement is smooth and it supports the car in both directions.  As you can see I have a fairly tight space so I have the car facing frontwards or backwards depending on what I am working on.  The car is balanced in either direction.

All up including the hoist, delivery, frame for ramps and aluminium covers it cost approx $3000.  Lift itself was $2000 but Happ had a deal on as they are clearing stock.

Hope this helps, if you want any other specific info let me know.

And it has begun.

First project = clean wheel wells and front end. Plate hardware, powder coat tinware and touch up some spots where wheel rub is evident (thanks 18" wheels!!). Replace faulty air con blower resistor while I'm at it.

95E269AC-A0F1-4412-A976-1A029F609C4C_zps

good work changing the resistor.. may as well change the oil cooler one too.. it may not be faulty but.....

I'm curious to see a photo or short vid taken from under the car looking up.. .just to see the accessibility..

Looks good. How much access is there underneath for a conventional car? Could you drop a gearbox with it, or is there no chance.

I bought a seat from Autobarn that's on wheels, about 30cm high.  It's perfect for my garage that only has 2.4m ceilings.

I'm sure I could do an engine drop with it.  For a conventional car it would depend where the gearbox is located.  There is limited access directly underneath the lift but it's perfect for a 911.  There is still some access as I can remove the cover plate on the 964 tunnel.  It's no issue with the SC because there's nothing you need to get to from a mechanical point of view.

good work changing the resistor.. may as well change the oil cooler one too.. it may not be faulty but.....

I'm curious to see a photo or short vid taken from under the car looking up.. .just to see the accessibility..

Good idea - will do.  I am removing the tin work on both sides (eg. mounting bracket for coolers) for powder coating so it will be an easy job.

I'll do some pics and possibly a video and post it here.  I'll need a few days to get it done.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

article-2510523-1988F77200000578-840_634

Although if it's the car that I think it is, it is already well sorted

Thanks, the car has been a club car from 2008 to 2013 so there's some good bits already.  I'm finding lots of bits of tyre in all the nooks and crevices!

It's surprisingly clean with not much to do in the way of repairs.  I'm doing more of a tidy up.

The business end is when I get to the motor.  Your car is definitely an inspiration - I've followed the progress here and on PP.  You must be very happy to own what surely must be one of the best 964's out there.  I suspect your slope may be even steeper than your pic!

Subscribed! I am planning on pulling my car to pieces and attempting to put it back together without too many left over parts soon, so I will be paying close attention, Mike's thread has been pretty informative so you have to out-do him! As for your lift, can you access the gearbox and shift linkages?

I'll get under and take some pics shortly Flatsix. Funny, I was looking at all the containers with nuts, bolts, etc the other night and wondering if any will be left over when I think I'm finished. Although I have separate containers to help identify what goes where I've already broken my golden rule of labelling ziplock bags!

Thanks Peter. The PET was like a bible when I did the SC. I learnt a lot about fasteners and washers from that experience.

More pics this weekend and while it's going to be a hot one here in Melbourne I am hoping to to get it out on the lawn for a pressure clean.

Darren

Looks good. How much access is there underneath for a conventional car? Could you drop a gearbox with it, or is there no chance.

Here's a couple of pics showing clearance for engine and gearbox on a 964.  There'll be an art to dropping it given the action of the scissor hoist, but according to google it can be done.

8E3B5861-ED6D-461B-90E8-A822AB00B76D_zps

4723C92E-D110-40D8-8CD1-0F55A2D859A4_zps

Here's some before pics.  It's interesting taking it all apart - I'm certainly learning a bit about the car's history.  No nasty surprises thankfully, although the black paint at the front is a bit of a mystery.  Not sure if this was done in the factory or a result of some sort of repair.  Either way I have no idea why this would have been painted like this.

You can see where the pressure washer has got rid of most of the grime.  The job now is to remove all the suspension, steering, etc and start the repair of the underbody coating.  I'll then give the wheel wells and front a fresh coat of Polar silver.  While this is happening I'll organise to have everything else cleaned up and checked then start the re-assembly.  I already have some replacements bits and pieces including new seals and some plastic tray pieces.

Here's a couple of pic showing the scuffed underside that needs re-coating:

342F255C-02B6-46B2-ACDB-465C453E422E_zps

31C33597-D084-4AEB-97C8-935D3422D087_zps

Before pressure cleaning:

B7870666-A3D4-4749-B69E-1CE390DF94A4_zps

Other side post cleaning:

62CFBB79-CAF0-4947-8058-2851C18A7CBB_zps

Mid way through disassembly:

696A7A25-81DA-4736-98C8-07E5F9E7D1F7_zps

Bumper support has seen better days.  A bit bent but no other signs of damage elsewhere thankfully:

F8C4D185-B9A5-487A-B7C8-84F0F7BB4AFD_zps

Always amazes me how the front end of a 964 under the skin looks identical to a 993.  

Whilst many parts are shared, the components like the wishbones and cross member look identical too but have different part numbers. Maybe to allow wider front wheels and different track I guess.  

If its the one ej think you're asking about, they protect the oil cooler hoses on the drivers side, and the air con hoses on the passenger get side.

What is the black plastic cover in the wheel well? And I assume that is the receiver/dryer tucked away above it?

Archived