964 C2 Manual - How Slippery is that Slope??

DS911

What is the black plastic cover in the wheel well?  And I assume that is the receiver/dryer tucked away above it?

Removing the black plastic cover reveals an inspection opening and allows you access to the elbow fitting that brings heat to the cabin.

Yes, that is the receiver/dryer.

Having the wheel well plastic guards has certainly helped keep all that area nice and clean.  No corrosion or gremlins that need repair.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a bit more dismantling done.  Most of the major stuff is out, just the steering rack to go and a few brake lines.  Hopefully I can avoid getting fluid all over the floor, unlike when I pulled the booster out.

Here are the bits ready for 'refreshing'.  I'll tackle some of it myself but things like plating, blasting and powder coating will be outsourced.

c1c0317d-ae81-4c54-bd41-8aa216e99942_zps

F4DD55D7-CB29-4C76-97C4-0438883684EE_zps

8CD741B3-C859-422D-9815-31DD471A5EA4_zps

The decision I need to make is how far to go with the refinishing underneath the car.  As you can see from the pics I have a bit of scraping on the underbody towards the front.  Despite my best efforts to get a beige schutz I am going to have to settle for white or grey and then paint over the top.  My options  as I see it are then to:

1. Clean existing schutz and do the small repair towards the front, then blow some body colour over the top and blend (fade) it out towards the tunnel where the steering rack is mounted.  When the plastic tray is refitted you'll more or less see silver.

2. Clean everything and paint the entire underbody silver (where the schutz is).  This is a much bigger job and a bit tricky as the car is not rolling and on the scissor hoist.  It's do-able but will be very fiddly.  I'll probably get as far as the rear of the shift rod tunnel.  The rest I'll have to do another time when inevitably the engine will come out.

What are the thoughts on either option?  I am the type who likes it all perfect (there's another word for it I'm sure :) ) but I also want to keep the project in perspective.  I guess I have to think if redoing the whole underside will impact it's value, or simply look pretty for me and the mechanics.  All detached parts will be refinished in some way or another.

Sorry pics are not the greatest but that's the best I could manage before work with my suit on.

3184f203-33df-46e9-9054-be07bb2e7114_zps

17864f20-53ae-4bfc-8c71-9d8ec0fb680a_zps

What are the thoughts on either option?  I am the type who likes it all perfect (there's another word for it I'm sure  :) ) but I also want to keep the project in perspective.  I guess I have to think if redoing the whole underside will impact it's value, or simply look pretty for me and the mechanics.  All detached parts will be refinished in some way or another.

Well, the value depends on your ability to find a buyer with the same tastes as you!  

The great value in a spotless underneath is the reassurance that nothing is wrong leak wise.

Some people couldn't care and would take it off-road without a thought.

I'm in your camp personally but I don't know that I'd pay extra - I'd just prefer one super clean underneath.

Thanks Coastr.  The areas that are normally covered by plastic or metal covers are naturally pretty clean.  A bit of simple degreasing will probably so the job.

I suppose with body colour I have to work out where to stop.  I am leaning towards fading it out so that silver is really only on the visible parts once the covers go back on.

Anyway, I've got plenty of time to think about it while I scrub away with various brushes and my bottles of degreaser and prep wash.

Got stuck into a bit of cleaning today. I bought a heavy duty degreaser that is quite thick, a bit like syrup consistency. I brushed it on, waited 15 minutes then light scrub and wipe. I was quite surprised how clean it came up, much better than when I went through this process on the SC.

Given how well it has cleaned up I'm just going to do this, rather than paint body colour. I'll still need to blow a bit of silver at the front after I repair the area that is scraped, but that's all it will need.

Also, undid the banjo bolts for the power steering. Had a 600ml cup to catch the fluid. Thought it was going to overflow at one stage. I was sitting there holding it while the fluid ran out. No back up cup so could have got messy.

Here's some pics, some show the before and after.

EF1FA4A5-FC34-43EC-993F-3B860A40006D_zps

D21DDB52-B7DD-4836-9F83-DF8002B924D6_zps

6680164D-8A2F-46FF-82D1-CBE9A4C31EB1_zps

64D2DC32-D638-417C-8C4F-5905DB7AF31A_zps

Nice work, love your attention to detail.

Having completed a few full restorations myself (not Porsche however) I am starting to miss the journey, now my car has been finished for about 8 years. Nothing more satisfying than sitting back with a beer and admiring a job well done.

Only problem now is you won't drive it in the rain.

Fraz, your comment about the rain reminded me of my mechanic. He put my other car on the hoist for a general service and when I went to pick it up he said to me, "you never drive this in the wet do you?"

I feel this one will be the same!

Thanks vl gra.  I looked into that and they have a sprayable seam sealer in beige (Terostat 9320).  There is a gun you can buy which apparently sprays a fine pattern to replicate the factory finish.

It was all looking good until I found out the gun was $550.

I'll have to have a bit more of a think about how I want to finish it off.  At this stage I've ruled out refinishing the entire underside, mainly because it is 95% perfect and is cleaning up really well.  Other options seem to be the body colour 'overspray approach' but a local supplier of underbody coatings suggested using white schutz (with a 5% tint) then trying to match the beige and spraying that over the top.

All this for a part of the car you hardly ever see?  My OCD tendencies are at play again... :)

EDIT - Just spoke a panel beater who also happens to be a client of mine.  He's got a gun that will spray Terostat 9320 and said he'd lend it to me - 'no worries mate'.  He's a got a car down there they've sprayed and said I could take a look at the finish/colour.

A bit more cleaning done. At about 2 hours every 3 or so days I reckon I'll have about 3 weeks of this and can then start working on all the bits and pieces I've removed.

Also learned that petrol removes the protective wax so I'll be going over it again after degreasing is finished.

2398B3BE-A087-4C8F-89A5-36C89AA7198F_zps

Another interesting find. In the tunnel there was a bit chunk of lead mounted to the cross member and a home made bracket.

I can only think that this was to balance the the weight of the car. Yes, this was a track car for a few years but this thing weighs quite a few kg. can anyone shed some light on this?

Here's a couple of pics. One while mounted in the car, the other after I removed it. The tie rod end is only there so you can get an idea of the size of it.

A27F0F64-C74A-4FBB-8137-B37BE803E829_zps

5C73AD3B-EB6C-4533-ACEF-8BF7EC121148_zps

I thought the idea was to take weight out of a car to make it quicker.

I under stand the desire to have more even weight distribution but there is better ways to balance a car if that's what it's for.

How heavy is it?

I thought the idea was to take weight out of a car to make it quicker.

I under stand the desire to have more even weight distribution but there is better ways to balance a car if that's what it's for.

How heavy is it?

there may have been a minimum weight or max weight/hp ratio required in the class he ran in.

in which case it is advantageous to put ballast in where it will provide benefit

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to repair the scraped underbody today. Also touched up the wheel wells that have been rubbed out from tyres. Colour of spay able seam sealer is very bright but will be sprayed out with body colour so hopefully will blend nicely.

DA7AD13C-992B-48D2-921D-93CAC0DE6259_zps

CC1D9DF9-8DAE-4AB5-B0D6-A14ECB0F3181_zps

2FA2997C-CEE2-4AA5-87A8-73B56F496F0A_zps

0E1686F5-63DF-45A6-8237-508EF8E78CFF_zps

• 1 month later...

A bit of progress over the last couple of weeks.  Most of the cleaning is done - I'll be glad to see the last of of it when I'm finished.

I've repainted the wheel wells, front and underneath where I repaired the stone guard.  Aluminium is back from Greg at Woody's Hydroblast.  He did a great job, including all the hardware which is currently being zinc plated.

Some bits still at the powder coater.  As soon as they arrive I'll get started on the assembly.

B62C52BB-AEDC-460B-B124-10DA2B5B7819_zps

0F545011-0117-4C13-B1BC-F2508DCFE0C0_zps

6EC69C39-34CA-43E9-BA9A-1B15D2D1B25C_zps

186C7BAF-9B00-4595-9920-D039C8A7F365_zps

784545C7-2035-45EB-A6EA-B931E2E8524C_zps

FC0F9C6E-E6DD-436B-8BE0-A41380910E0E_zps

C10BA565-58B9-435F-9BBE-05E812B26BF7_zps

5AF1B62D-DD66-4719-9AAB-3F0A5B2CA73B_zps

B1D24CBD-3E4F-415E-A85D-25D32CE8CF52_zps

Archived