WTB 911 SC or 911 3.2

rminc

I don't think you'll find a 3.2 for that money .... if you look hard enough you might find an SC but as other members have said before, you'll need to let go of the kilometre thing .... these cars are now 35+ years old and the k's really are irrelevant. Even at 300,000 k's on a 30 year old car, that is only 10,000 k's per year .... nothing.

The odometer in these are renowned for breaking the little plastic gear cogs ...  this leaves the speedo working but not adding k's .... you wouldn' have a clue if this has happened and been left "broken" for any length of time ....

You should assess each car on its own merits .... you will find higher kilometre cars in better condition than lower kilometre ones .....

The Targa you linked to above is reaching for the sky ... it's for sale through a high profile dealer who always ask top, top dollar for their cars. Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't ...

Good luck with your search ... consider it part of journey of ownership.

Thanks for the info @Dreamr

For a decent 3.2 meeting my requirements, what do you think I should be looking at spending?

I saw the below example advertised recently at $102,500 which was probably had for $90-$95,000. I didn't get a chance to get out and take a look, but it did look quite clean in the photos. 

Thanks for the reply guys. Happy to go  upto 100k on a decent 3.2. Will also consider an SC too, but would need to be priced really well for me to go for it. There really isn't too much at the moment, so I guess I'll have to sit tight for now until something decent comes up. 

SC prices have risen quite a lot since I started looking a few years ago. There was a big gap between the SC and the 3.2. I was looking at buying a 83' with 190kms for 60k. It seams now that the SC are in some cases priced above the 3.2.

Just to help me get a good idea. If a decent 3.2 is worth around 100k what would an identical condition SC be fetching? Sorry about all the questions guys, just seems like alot has changed since I was looking last and need to adapt a bit. 

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

Once heard that all (air-cooled)Porsche are built LHD,taken to the end of the line,driven,tested, then turned back into the factory for conversion! So all are LHD at some stage. And the 'balance' is always affected doen't matter who does the conversion. 

15 minutes ago, Harsh said:

Once heard that all (air-cooled)Porsche are built LHD,taken to the end of the line,driven,tested, then turned back into the factory for conversion! So all are LHD at some stage. And the 'balance' is always affected doen't matter who does the conversion. 

Even if that was true, it would still be considered a factory RHD ....

Much better than the alternative ....

"yeah mate, my uncle from Backyard Motors did it back in the 80's using genuine parts from Bunnings .... she's fair dinkum like factory mate!"

43 minutes ago, Harsh said:

All the RHD cars wish they were LHD at some point!  Alas they were born with a malformed wheel position.

Ford Australia did do that with the RHD mustangs back in the early 00’s IIRC.

55 minutes ago, Harsh said:

Pretty sure I had read that somewhere too.. on the early models.. 

5 hours ago, Harsh said:

I wonder how we ever got the corner weights spot on for my rally car or my circuit car?  Both factory rhd...

I call shenanigans. 

Shenanigans?  I call the "balance" proposition of LHD's more internet forum bullshit.

There seem to be some that think our cars are the result of some sort of immaculate conception rather than the result of a kernel of an idea that progressively evolves through a series of engineering and other pragmatic decisions and developments.

The decision to "make the chassis the same for both LHD and RHD" by having an articulated steering column is confirmed in interdepartmental meeting minutes of 15 January 1962.  I've also seen a quote from Peter Falk saying the safety benefits of the articulated steering as "a welcome side benefit" of having a central steering box that could be used without modification in RHD cars.

As for the packaging of the heavier components of battery, spare wheel, oil tank (they were still umming and aarring about dry-sumping even as late as '63), windscreen washer bottle, Webasto heater  (they weren't convinced about exhaust heat exchanges until quite late either), they just appeared to shove these items where they would best fit.  No opportunity for "balance" sorcery  at all for either drive configurations.

To be fair there are cars I have read about that were factory conversions.  But these were one-offs and not regular production. I recall reading about English factory race drivers getting cars converted.

they were handmade - so welding in different panels wouldn’t be a challenge.

Also agreed on the balance / driving position forum canards.  Total made up boosting by LHD owners.

there are benefits to LHD ownership including parts availability, stuff like hood release being on correct side, air con in the smugglers box and just plain being different and awesome.  But weight and driving position are not really true.

15 minutes ago, Harsh said:

Lee I think we all get a little too serious and narcy on some of these forums.....I really have to bite my tongue sometimes,just trying to lighten things up

Don't worry mate, I would get booted and banned from the forum if I posted a reply to some topics/posts sometimes?