WTB 911 SC or 911 3.2

rminc

@rminc have you considered Ole's 911? Original rhd, uk, 3.2. Work it back to original which wouldn't be hard and you'd have yourself a nice original rhd 3.2 machine. Try and catch him on a day when he has it up for sale at around $90k to 95k.

Hi @Al, I am only looking at Aus delivered cars. Unless I can snag an import at a ridiculously cheap price I'm not really interested.

Nevertheless, I have been watching it on carsales go up and down for weeks now though. It does need a fair bit to get it back to original condition both inside and out.

If I were to go for a UK import the car below looks the goods, already original, has lower kms and is an 88' model. That being said I reckon I could pick up an Oz delivered car very much identical for the same price he has advertised it for, if not less. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/SSE-AD-4974714

1 hour ago, rminc said:

Hi @Al

If I were to go for a UK import the car below looks the goods, already original, has lower kms and is an 88' model. That being said I reckon I could pick up an Oz delivered car very much identical for the same price he has advertised it for, if not less. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/SSE-AD-4974714

You could....keep looking

I wouldn't say doubled. I was looking at buying an SC coupe with 220kms for 60k and a 3.2 coupe with 145kms for 90k. Priced have gone up but not as much as double.

I purchased an R34 GTR Vspec 2 not long after the thread was started instead of a 911 which I sold only recently for just under double what I had initially paid which was very lucky and only because of the increased demand for them in China. 

Everything kind of worked out well. Only problem now is finding a clean 911.

Just an expression of my thoughts and my experience. For many years I dreamed of owning an aircooled Porsche 911 always favouring the whale tailed coupe.

As time went by I grew fond of the uniqueness of the targa model and pursued that model for while.

Fast forward to 2015 after much searching and deliberation I saw a lovely UK delivered 1983 Porsche 911sc cabriolet in grand prix white with only 51,000miles from new and a complete service history and file detailing all previous owners and services performed.Quite seriously the file read like a great English novel..

The Porsche was in immaculate condition,never saw any sun being from the UK and who drives a convertible in the rain and snow and freezing cold ....no one !  Hence the low mileage.

Now ..I never liked the look of the cabriolet 911 , I never imagined owning one for that matter  but you know I do own it now and love it...

It's a true Porsche in every way and when I drive it I don't see the out side of the car which I have now grown to love ....it's a Porsche 911sc. it's low mileage ,it's in immaculate condition inside and out .

After all whether it's a coupe or a targa or even a cabriolet it's still a Porsche 911 and the fact that it's UK imported is irrelevant to me .it just means my Porsche had an escape to the country and now it's here thanks to it's last British owner who immigrated to Australia for the mining boom .

The last and best part of this whole equation is my Porsche has a split personality where on a nice day the roof comes down and I enjoy open air driving which again I never thought I would enjoy but now absolutely love it especially now that I have a new Monty muffler fitted and the throbbing exhaust/engine sound its even more amplified .

All this man pleasure is unbearable to contain and all for the princely sum $37,750 in May 2015......

How much is my car worth now ?

To me.....Priceless 

On 07/01/2018 at 12:23 AM, rminc said:

Hi @Al, I am only looking at Aus delivered cars. Unless I can snag an import at a ridiculously cheap price I'm not really interested.

Nevertheless, I have been watching it on carsales go up and down for weeks now though. It does need a fair bit to get it back to original condition both inside and out.

Crikey that is expensive.  How much for a 996tt again?

11 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Crikey that is expensive.  How much for a 996tt again?

Apples and oranges but agree you could get a hell of a lot of car for the same money:

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2002/OAG-AD-14256090/?Cr=3

Look what the most expensive item on carsales is, 1988 vintage, you could buy 2 of 2016 lambos or 5 of 2017 991 Turbos:

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-959-1988/OAG-AD-15473458/?Cr=0

An imperfect substitute for an air cooled car, but the mezger turbos are guaranteed future classics with a lot of upside potential.  They are 15+ years old now and no serious issues have arisen (scs and 3.2s have plenty of issues to deal with as well)

Given the choice between a $120k import 3.2 and a 996 turbo - easy decision to make.  I think the 996tt has more upside and less downside risk.

Thanks for replies guys. 

@Robert L unfortunately the cabs and targa tops just don't do it for me. 

I'd look at a UK import, but as I mentioned it would need to be dirt cheap, otherwise I'd prefer an Australian example. 

@Coastr as good as the 996tt are they just don't have the same aesthetic appeal to me that the older 911 have. 

Two new gunmetal coupes have been listed recently both Oz delivered. One in WA with 300kms which will be too hard for me to see at the moment with work and the other in QLD I think with around 160kms at 135k which is out of my budget. 

Hi all, 

Just looking through carsales and wanting to get an idea of what you think a few cars are actually worth? The black one looks decent and has been online for 2 months or so, whereas I think the blue one has been sitting online for maybe 1.5 years? 

What do you think is a good price for both cars? 

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/SSE-AD-5139381

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1984/SSE-AD-4242397

I’m at a complete loss on the whole “Australian delivered” thing.

If the cars are in the same condition, same year, same spec etc who gives a rats where they were first delivered?

They’re all imported cars - even the locally delivered ones ...

33 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

If the cars are in the same condition, same year, same spec etc who gives a rats where they were first delivered?

Well ..... since you've asked ... I do.

And just in case you think I'm alone .... I'm not. :cool07:

4 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

They’re all imported cars - even the locally delivered ones ...

But but ADR plate!

6 hours ago, rminc said:

I think quite a few people do. The only people that seam to think there is no difference are the ones with cars for sale at the same price as Australian delivered ones that have been for sale for months or over a year 

That's just sellers optimism mate. Maybe they're looking for the buyer who isn't aware of the difference between imported and Oz delivered to maximise their profit? 

I'm with @Skidmarks when you have 2 identical condition factory RHD cars, yet one commands a 20 or 30% premium? Doesn't make sense to me, as they're the same car, yet at the same time, I do understand it for resale with an Oz delivered car being more attractive to a 'fussy' buyer.

The converted 69 911 I looked at last week for $165k was a cracker of a car, yet to those who want the same Oz delivered car would have to add a substantial amount of cash. That's what I'll never understand, but that's how it is I spose 

11 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Well ..... since you've asked ... I do.

And just in case you think I'm alone .... I'm not. :cool07:

I’m sure you do and I’m sure you’re not alone.

It just doesn’t make sense to me but I’m sure it does to you and all who share your view.

11 hours ago, rminc said:

I think quite a few people do. The only people that seam to think there is no difference are the ones with cars for sale at the same price as Australian delivered ones that have been for sale for months or over a year 

The thing is that, in my opinion, there is no objective or material difference.  Other than the ADR plate perhaps ...

If someone wants to choose to buy or perhaps pay what some might consider an unnecessary premium because the import papers note that it was first unloaded in Australia then their perception is their reality.

And no, I’m not selling a bastard child foreign Pcar so am disinterested other than in sharing what may be perceived to be my misguided musings ?

And now ... rather than being intentionally controversial ...

Is there a point at which the whole local -v- OS delivery debate becomes irrelevant?  

Is it:-

1. Model related?

2. Price point?

3. Determined by rarity?

4. When its a factory LHD?

I’ve got a few of those cultural misfits in the shed and do acknowledge the automotive xenophobia and know that if I want to sell them then it’s likely to be to an OS buyer.