Crowd Sourcing a PFA video... EOI

Kerry

You already know I was keen to do a project like this so count me in  :D . Happy to be involved in any way desired. I have a GoPro, DSLR, tripod and I just picked up a mic which can be used for interviews and exhaust noise attached to the back of cars. I don’t mind what capacity you want to use me. Anything from filming, music search for soundtrack, assisting with editing. I’m happy to load up the Cayenne with GoPros. I currently use Final Cut Pro on Mac for editing but would be interested in switching to Sony Vegas if I can pick up an economically viable copy and it helps with the project. Would also be happy to be part of the Production Committee Team if you’re looking for volunteers. I’m also aware of the “too many cooks” syndrome so I’m also happy to take a back seat if it works better.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Such as great response!

I've been giving it a fair amount of thought and concluded that there are probably two types of potential participants in this process - those that have little if any experience but have the absolute determination to get that GoPro of their's back out of the box, and give it a crack; and those who do have experience with video production.

For the former, I will propose a shoot list/template for anyone who might want to have a go, which would include a checklist of technical requirements (quality of video etc), a list of standard video shots to get, and if interviewing another member (of which this personal element I'd like to push) a standard set list of questions. This way everyone can have a go playing with the same rules and on a relatively level playing field.

Those in the later group, the likes of Simon and Bruce etc, who clearly have lots of experience and who I can draw upon their talents and get them to assist in more specific ways, I'll be discussing more ambitious tasks!

Stay tuned everyone, I want to discuss a few things internally before I offer forth (sometime in the next few weeks) a template which we can all work with.

I'm interested as well -- happy to help out as and where I can. From my limited video production experience -- audio is going to be a key factor if you're keen to do interviews. It's probably unlikely that on-camera audio recording for that is going to cut it. For everything else it'll be cool.

I'm thinking as far as the audio is concerned for interviews, I could recommend an app' for a smartphone and use that to get closer, and better audio. The hard prt will be getting the files off the phones, and emailed to me and fitting them together with the video, however if the video also has audio (even if crappy), we should be able to match without having to use a clapper board. I've done this myself to get out of a pinch, of course a nifty little audio recorder is even better.

I'm thinking as far as the audio is concerned for interviews, I could recommend an app' for a smartphone and use that to get closer, and better audio. The hard prt will be getting the files off the phones, and emailed to me and fitting them together with the video, however if the video also has audio (even if crappy), we should be able to match without having to use a clapper board. I've done this myself to get out of a pinch, of course a nifty little audio recorder is even better.

Set up a dropbox account for sharing video & audio (or similar service).  These days you can get massive amounts of space.  It's easy to share folders with other people via email (or PM in this forum).  Ask that everyone do a 'clapper' with their hands before starting - it would get you pretty close.

The big ask is getting all the formats in, in the same resolution/frame rate/etc etc, audio in the same kbps etc.  It's a major pain if everything is mismatched because it takes forever to convert stuff, especially in HD which you would want everyone to film in.

GoPros are not good for interview type work.

I recently purchased a mic specifically designed for the stupid iphone mic/headphone input. Of course it then doesn't work in a conventional socket without an adapter. I bought an adapter and an extension which I think is about 3m long. All up was about $80. Only tested it on the back of the 996 plugged into my DSLR and the sound is miles better than the Go Pro mic. Still need to do some tests with the mic in the iphone.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271593029916?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Having gone through the whole process of trying to record a mock interview with myself, the only way to do it is with an external mic. The camera mic is too far away. I tried recording on the iphone which means placing the phone somewhere close enough to pick up your voice and without holding it. Top pocket might work if you have one but it easily picks up any movement you make as it rubs against your shirt. It and the camera mic also pick up wind noise very easy. I had 3 separate attempts and they all failed (keeping in mind you don't know it's no good until you get home and upload it)

I had a play around last night experimenting with the external mic and phone mic. Used the same recording app, same phone, same location, but one recording used the external mic and the other the internal mic. The external mic was obviously a nicer sound but once I played around with the EQ levels on the phone mic recording, I was able to get it sounding just as good. The big difference though is the background noise the iphone mic picks up even with the input gain turned way down. This is fine if it's just the sounds of Porsches in the background or even the faint sound of traffic as we could probably mask it with music, but if there's wind, it will ruin the recording.

Hey All,

Just to let you know that I met last night with Simon, Bruce and Hugh to discuss how we would proceed with this exciting project.

We formulating a strategy whereby we can include all offers of assistance and goodwill into this combined video with some formal opportunities i.e.: like a SMT, and some individual opportunities including an idea to provide selfies of you and your car, a shot of your garage etc etc...

Give us a few weeks to get some more concrete to show and tell, our timing is to have finished shooting by January next year, and edited and up for viewing by March. This will give us the appropriate timeframe to organise events and shoot, (and possibly re-shoot) as is required, and then collate and edit.

Stay tuned...

Kerry

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got a lot of Vids,

how do you upload here when a high rez photo wont work?

Hey there 930. If you've talking about videos you just want to share with us, the best way is to upload to Youtube and share the link. If you have videos specifically for the PFA project, we're after raw unedited footage. Depending on size of files, we'll either use dropbox or usb stick/drives. Dropbox would be best but we don't want to blow out my monthly data limit downloading these files. We're still working out some ideas but a 4 or 8gb usb stick posted down to us might be fine and isn't too expensive. Another thought has been to nominate a person in each area to collect the footage and dump it on a usb drive that we send. Just some ideas but we'll confirm in the near future.

Archived