the 'Healey incident'

turboT

Some of you have been following this from earlier posts but I just thought I would summarise what, in my world will become a quickly forgotten chapter, but should be a lesson for all those who are wanting to be part of the 'modern' car industry.

The Healey factory is everything we love about cars. There is something wrong with you if you visit their showroom and don't get at least a little excited. Even if you don't like the British Sports cars they have, there is always a diverse range of other makes in varying condition.

My journey with these guys started when I happened to be in Melbourne for a client meeting, had a spare 30 minutes before catching the plane back to Sydney, and went in to look at the blue 930 they have on carsales (still for sale and a great looking car). Very excited to discover that just by chance they had three 930's, and after sending my staff member to the airport and booking myself a later ticket, I took a test drive and within an hour the deal was done on the silver 930 I now own. We did a bit of negotiation about the price, and had thrown in some repairs to the dash, replacement gearstick knob and minor paint work, all of which would be completed in two weeks. I was also told it would have a road worthy certificate for VIC. Deposit paid and I was on my way to the airport. Full payment was transferred within a week. Perfect client dealer relationship you would have thought?

Well of course 2 weeks turned into 5, but I excepted that this was part of me getting into the vintage game where things move at a vintage pace. On average it took three calls from me to get one returned, and in the end it was easier me calling the repair guy Healey were using to get an update on progress, but again I excepted this as all part and parcel of the eccentricities of an 'old car purchase.'

But finally after much chasing I was told my baby would be ready. I have a Wedding at the weekend with a lot of car nut friends who I know would like a look, so couldn't wait a further week for a transporter. So told the dealer I would fly down, stay over night and be at the garage at 8am when they open to begin the long journey home.

Now remember they have had the car for five weeks, not two. They were forewarned about my arrival and it would have been a little bit obvious that I needed to get going.

But:

1. dealer wasn't on that day, something he neglected to tell me

2. replacement wasn't expecting me at 8am

3. car didn't have an unregistered vehicle permit which meant it was undrivable and uninsured

4. when I requested the RWC for VIC I was told they didn't realize I wanted this but their work would pass. It didn't. Turned out there was a crack in the exhaust that need welding

5. oh, and no fuel

4 hours later all was sorted and I was on my way. Oh, and to be fair I did get a crisp $50 from them for fuel (felt just a little bit like a hooker)

Maybe it is wrong of me to even suggest the Healey be 'modern.'It is after all the 'old shit' that we love so much that draws us to them. But does that mean we need to be treated like 'old...?'

oh and... (yes there is more)

1. the xmas cracker of a gear stick knob exploded open as soon as I hit the M31 and I drove the rest of my 1100km journey changing gears with a metal bar (thank god for the long gears of the 930). Nice quality touch guys

2. Left hand front light didn't work as I discovered in the dark in driving rain 300kms from Sydney, so I guess I still don't pass my VIC RWC?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a pretty bad outcome.

If anything the 'vintage' car dealers should be the ones operating with more savvy as often their clientele are purchasing a toy car and may be time poor.

All these things can be fixed by the dealer by one competent person organising the place and a decent & simple CRM system installed.

Glad to see you got a fast $50 for some fuel - the least they could do.

People who don't keep up with the times get collected up by those who do.

Very poor form from them, but in time I am sure you will forget all about it.... time and 2nd gear boosts to 150kmh cure all things ;)

{At least you still have your car, a few years ago a friend's fully restored mint Triumph TR5 became a fire ball (with him in it! He was OK, got out just in time before being fried) after spending sometime at HF getting some fuel line/carby work done!

Long story, but lets just say the rubber lines of a fuel pressure/flow test gauge don't last long sitting against a hot exhaust manifold, especially when it is still accidently left installed in the fuel line of the car when given back to owner to take home and drive. It seems that when the line/tube melts, they continue to spew fuel onto said hot exhaust manifold, with obvious results... On a positive note, it means he now has to drive his 2 air cooled Porsches more often :ph34r:}

If it were a private sale, you would probably look past all those things, however this is a business, that ask top dollar for their cars...... Part of buying a classic car from such dealers is about the experience, which in this case sounds like it was pretty poor.

the 'genuine' replacement gear knobs from Porsche are the worst I've ever seen (see below) might be worth hunting around for a second hand one

normal.jpg?pool=pdds&type=article&id=911

Too many gears for a 930 Russ! ;)

But that is all they were originally I believe, black plastic. If anyone knows of a nice simple, leather knob with Porsche crest (or correct 4 speed pattern for 930) I am also looking to replace mine that has nearly had it.

But that is all they were originally I believe, black plastic. If anyone knows of a nice simple, leather knob with Porsche crest (or correct 4 speed pattern for 930) I am also looking to replace mine that has nearly had it.

That does look exactly like the one I have, minus a few gears. Off to eBay to get something decent

yeah, but you get my drift right? lol (not enough D2 and D3 for me)

the older 'original' shift knobs have a clear plastic piece over the shift pattern like below (seems like Porsche Classic just went with a different design) Auto Atlanta still had some of the older type

P916249.jpg

I only bring this up 'cause I was disappointed to compare a new shift knob and my original and see differences - I'd sort of expect a genuine Porsche part to be the same as the original

I'll take off the anorak now

Sorry to hear about your issue T.

I purchased my car from the Healey Factory around 10 years ago and found them very good to deal with.  There were a few items needing attention and they used their regular professional repairer (P-H) and fixed everything I could find wrong with the car ( I was very picky).  Corrections included anything I could see wrong at the point of sale plus anything that came up on the RWC.  I recall also taking it back for a second round of repairs done without charge.

Being located Interstate could have caused some communication issues, sometimes easier to solve when you are in their face in person waiting to collect your new baby.

Re repairer; although having a good reputation and I wouldn't question their knowledge or skill, I decided not to proceed with regular services given the laid back approach to customer service.  Sounds like this also impacted on a few of your issues.

Anyway, I bet you still have a smile on your face every time you turn that key......enjoy your ride!

Wevo supply a beautifully machined aluminium gear knob that has the advantage that it suits 4, 5, 6, 7 , or 8 gears.  Any number, because it has no pattern on it and they expect you to just know some stuff.  Also, they throw in a nice, crisp gear change.  Problem solved.

I bought my car there and had some issues that they sorted fairly painlessly. I was amused when the salesman got a phone call from another buyer, while I was negotiating with them. I almost said does anyone actually fall for that but bit my tounge. Having now sold new cars for 3 years, I would handle things differently now, than I did then(almost 5 years ago) and would have probably walked away from this car because of their antics but hindsight is always 20-20 ;)

Pretty sure having gear pattern on the gear selector is a RWC requirement these days, at least in Vic

Im sure theybhave lots of happy owners; I looked at a couple of Porsches they had a few years back, but it all seemed a bit vague at time, so walked away...

Up side , you have what looks to be a ripping 930, that clearly handled the trip home with ease.......well done to you..!,!

Some of you have been following this from earlier posts but I just thought I would summarise what, in my world will become a quickly forgotten chapter, but should be a lesson for all those who are wanting to be part of the 'modern' car industry.

The Healey factory is everything we love about cars. There is something wrong with you if you visit their showroom and don't get at least a little excited. Even if you don't like the British Sports cars they have, there is always a diverse range of other makes in varying condition.

My journey with these guys started when I happened to be in Melbourne for a client meeting, had a spare 30 minutes before catching the plane back to Sydney, and went in to look at the blue 930 they have on carsales (still for sale and a great looking car). Very excited to discover that just by chance they had three 930's, and after sending my staff member to the airport and booking myself a later ticket, I took a test drive and within an hour the deal was done on the silver 930 I now own. We did a bit of negotiation about the price, and had thrown in some repairs to the dash, replacement gearstick knob and minor paint work, all of which would be completed in two weeks. I was also told it would have a road worthy certificate for VIC. Deposit paid and I was on my way to the airport. Full payment was transferred within a week. Perfect client dealer relationship you would have thought?

Well of course 2 weeks turned into 5, but I excepted that this was part of me getting into the vintage game where things move at a vintage pace. On average it took three calls from me to get one returned, and in the end it was easier me calling the repair guy Healey were using to get an update on progress, but again I excepted this as all part and parcel of the eccentricities of an 'old car purchase.'

But finally after much chasing I was told my baby would be ready. I have a Wedding at the weekend with a lot of car nut friends who I know would like a look, so couldn't wait a further week for a transporter. So told the dealer I would fly down, stay over night and be at the garage at 8am when they open to begin the long journey home.

Now remember they have had the car for five weeks, not two. They were forewarned about my arrival and it would have been a little bit obvious that I needed to get going.

But:

1. dealer wasn't on that day, something he neglected to tell me

2. replacement wasn't expecting me at 8am

3. car didn't have an unregistered vehicle permit which meant it was undrivable and uninsured

4. when I requested the RWC for VIC I was told they didn't realize I wanted this but their work would pass. It didn't. Turned out there was a crack in the exhaust that need welding

5. oh, and no fuel

4 hours later all was sorted and I was on my way. Oh, and to be fair I did get a crisp $50 from them for fuel (felt just a little bit like a hooker)

Maybe it is wrong of me to even suggest the Healey be 'modern.'It is after all the 'old shit' that we love so much that draws us to them. But does that mean we need to be treated like 'old...?'

oh and... (yes there is more)

1. the xmas cracker of a gear stick knob exploded open as soon as I hit the M31 and I drove the rest of my 1100km journey changing gears with a metal bar (thank god for the long gears of the 930). Nice quality touch guys

2. Left hand front light didn't work as I discovered in the dark in driving rain 300kms from Sydney, so I guess I still don't pass my VIC RWC?

I have to just make a few points about this whole thread as I work in this industry and so can see both sides and would also like to point out that this is ppls lively hoods we are talking about and so while I understand the need to vent, the fact that this could impact very heavily on a business that supports our passion, when most don't, is something we should respect and also probably discuss directly rather than venting in a public forum and potentially tarnish a long running business. This particular business is good for us as buyers and sellers, and as I am sure many of us are aware, selling a classic isn't like selling an ordinary car. Also the repairs you wanted clearly involved a 3rd party, and so delays may have not been their fault. Whenever a 3rd party is involved, ther agenda, and the dealerships may not have been the same.I know we want cars out as quick as possible but when a 3rd party supplier is involved delays can and do happen that are beyond our control. Clearly I don't know what happpened in your case, this is just my experience

I sell new cars and put in 60-70 hours a week and try to be part of the modern industry and to not behave as the ppl before me did. I however would be reluctant to give up my day off because it is what the customer wants, as I feel the hours are enough already, so when your sales man wasn't there, that is something that isn't a big deal IMO although I understand that can lead to poor communication, as happened in this case. However they did spend 4 hours fixing an exhaust that more than likely wasn't an obvious issue, till they went to do road worthy. I have had issues with new cars, so a 30YO classic could spring up a surpise at any time. The fact they resolved this straight away is something to be praised, as it meant you could keep your agenda.

The getting of a permit takes about 10 minutes, and doesn't require a RWC, so the fact they got you road worthy is to their credit as well and I am sure wasn't the reason for the delay, which was clearly the issue with the exhaust.

The headlight globe failing can happen to anyone, at anytime, and would have been tested at RWC time but an old bulb failing after not being used for who knows how long and on a long trip like this, with all the vibrations etc is hardly something you can blame on them. these things happen and isn't an expensive or complex fix.

They fixed the lack of juice issue with out a complaint and so again, that is to their credit. I have had to do many a fuel run, on a hand over because someone else slipped up. I work in a much bigger dealership, that sells a lot more cars, and has systems designed specifically to avoid any issues, and yet they still occur. Humans are involved so mistakes happen as no system is perfect

Anyway while I understand there were communication issues and things didn't goes as perfecty as possible, but at the end of the day, you got a great car and they seem to have done everything they could to rectify your issues, as they happened. I am not sure about the gear knob(it was not a used item was it ?), but personally, when I bought up the 2 issues I had and how I would like them recitified, they were only too happy to sort it out to my satisfaction. I had a vibration from rear wheel and I am sure they could have insisted I just get it balanced, but I wanted it re-rolled, which they happily paid for. I also had a visor that wouldn't stay up, and they paid for a replacement that I sourced, all without any problems.

I just hope that this thread doesn't damage  the reputation of a business that I have personally used, as have many others here, as IMO they are good ppl  just trying to make an honest living, who also provide us with a valuable service and in my experience, do their best in what is not a straight forward situation ie selling classic cars which commonly have some issues, as you would expect with any car of this age. Maybe we should all take a breath and look at it from both sides. I was once told their are 3 sides to every story. Your side , their side, and the truth, which often lies in the middle :)

Hmmmm.. going by the length and detail of you post I detect a nerve has been stuck, which I actually do get to a certain degree as I too work in the industry and its why "Liked" your post.

But ,I don't 100% agree with all your points/comment…… i don't know turboT nor the Healey Factory.  What I read from turboT's vent/feedback/customer experience was a guy who's expectations were not met and a supplier who could have done better.  Or possibly a guy who's expectations were unrealistic and a supplier who did what they thought the customer wanted.

Were turboT's expectations too high and did he contribute to the "poor communication? as you pointed out we don't really know as we only have one version of the truth. 

1. dealer wasn't on that day, something he neglected to tell me - Your dealing with a company not a person,reasonable to expect the same level of service from any of the staff.

2. replacement wasn't expecting me at 8am - Why, because no arrangement had been made or poor internal communication - as above
3. car didn't have an unregistered vehicle permit which meant it was undrivable and uninsured - As above
4. when I requested the RWC for VIC I was told they didn't realize I wanted this but their work would pass. It didn't. Turned out there was a crack in the exhaust that need welding - As above
5. oh, and no fuel - Reasonable to expect the car to have a tank of fuel when spending $100K plus - But we don't know what margin was left for the dealer in the final deal?

I have worked in and dealt with many dealerships in my time, it's not uncommon for one department to blame the other when dealing with a customer complaint of poor service. And while there may some truth in these comments, they may be the reasons why something did not happen they are still not an excuse for poor service.

Customers at times do only hear what they want to hear!

Customer - So my car will be ready in three weeks, yeah?

Dealer - Yes sir as long as all the parts are available, arrive on time and are the correct ones.

Customer - so thats a definite yes then!

Ok, so this has gone on longer than i expected but i'm trying to be balanced.

If turboT sent HF an e-mail like this:

Dear HF, I will be coming down to collect my car on (Insert date) and i will be driving it back to Sydney the following day.

Can you confirm the following will be completed so I can book my flight.

• Tank of fuel - 
  • RWC or permit - (whatever is required for me to drive it back legally )
  • All agreed repair work completed and to a satisfactory standard.
  • Pick up time of (insert time)

Regards

turboT (Would probably use real name)

If he got a reply confirming all was done then he got poor service, if this or similar e-mail (communication) was not sent then it fair to say turboT took a gamble.

I agree it may have been better to just say in the post, "not everything was as expected when i picked up the car" until HF had a reasonable opportunity to resolve the situation.

Alternatively we can take the stereotypical approach……

Healey Factory - Car Dealers = "Dodgy gits" + turboT - Porsche Owners  = "Tossers" combine both and you have a recipe for disaster ;)

Remember this is a forum and people (pointing at self) will say things from time to time that may rile some people up,get taken out of context or is just crap! I don't think its ever meant to intentionally upset or offend .

I have to just make a few points about this whole thread as I work in this industry and so can see both sides and would also like to point out that this is ppls lively hoods we are talking about and so while I understand the need to vent, the fact that this could impact very heavily on a business that supports our passion, when most don't, is something we should respect and also probably discuss directly rather than venting in a public forum and potentially tarnish a long running business. This particular business is good for us as buyers and sellers, and as I am sure many of us are aware, selling a classic isn't like selling an ordinary car. Also the repairs you wanted clearly involved a 3rd party, and so delays may have not been their fault. Whenever a 3rd party is involved, ther agenda, and the dealerships may not have been the same.I know we want cars out as quick as possible but when a 3rd party supplier is involved delays can and do happen that are beyond our control. Clearly I don't know what happpened in your case, this is just my experience

I sell new cars and put in 60-70 hours a week and try to be part of the modern industry and to not behave as the ppl before me did. I however would be reluctant to give up my day off because it is what the customer wants, as I feel the hours are enough already, so when your sales man wasn't there, that is something that isn't a big deal IMO although I understand that can lead to poor communication, as happened in this case. However they did spend 4 hours fixing an exhaust that more than likely wasn't an obvious issue, till they went to do road worthy. I have had issues with new cars, so a 30YO classic could spring up a surpise at any time. The fact they resolved this straight away is something to be praised, as it meant you could keep your agenda.

The getting of a permit takes about 10 minutes, and doesn't require a RWC, so the fact they got you road worthy is to their credit as well and I am sure wasn't the reason for the delay, which was clearly the issue with the exhaust.

The headlight globe failing can happen to anyone, at anytime, and would have been tested at RWC time but an old bulb failing after not being used for who knows how long and on a long trip like this, with all the vibrations etc is hardly something you can blame on them. these things happen and isn't an expensive or complex fix.

They fixed the lack of juice issue with out a complaint and so again, that is to their credit. I have had to do many a fuel run, on a hand over because someone else slipped up. I work in a much bigger dealership, that sells a lot more cars, and has systems designed specifically to avoid any issues, and yet they still occur. Humans are involved so mistakes happen as no system is perfect

Anyway while I understand there were communication issues and things didn't goes as perfecty as possible, but at the end of the day, you got a great car and they seem to have done everything they could to rectify your issues, as they happened. I am not sure about the gear knob(it was not a used item was it ?), but personally, when I bought up the 2 issues I had and how I would like them recitified, they were only too happy to sort it out to my satisfaction. I had a vibration from rear wheel and I am sure they could have insisted I just get it balanced, but I wanted it re-rolled, which they happily paid for. I also had a visor that wouldn't stay up, and they paid for a replacement that I sourced, all without any problems.

I just hope that this thread doesn't damage  the reputation of a business that I have personally used, as have many others here, as IMO they are good ppl  just trying to make an honest living, who also provide us with a valuable service and in my experience, do their best in what is not a straight forward situation ie selling classic cars which commonly have some issues, as you would expect with any car of this age. Maybe we should all take a breath and look at it from both sides. I was once told their are 3 sides to every story. Your side , their side, and the truth, which often lies in the middle :)

Hi mate

A very detailed and thorough thought provoking post deserves a similar response. :

Firstly I think I made it pretty clear that the delays in repairs were something I excepted. However these were not repairs that I requested but items the dealers brought up that were part of the sale of the vehicle and a time frame for these repairs was also suggested by the dealer. The fact that something requires a third party is often a reality of small business, but why should this absolve the dealer of any responsibility? 

The RWC was part of the original deal unfortunately. I am sure very few people would buy a car of this value without one. I understand this is not required for the permit, but why would I risk taking a car all the way to Sydney to then find out there were issues? I am glad I double checked. No apologies for this

I didn't in fact request the dealer work on his day off as you suggest. I was simply surprised that he failed to tell me he wasn't going to be there when we spoke and organised a pick up less than 24hrs before hand? 

Permit should have taken 10 minutes. But at 8 oclock when I arrived for the pick up, VIC roads were not yet open. From memory they eventually opened at 9 and then took 1.5 hrs to send an email with the permit. 'Ah Ha' I hear you say 'third party again!' but knowing i was in at 8, they probably should have thought about this beforehand.

I get it, and I respect your desire to protect what for many has been a positive and ongoing relationship. But this was just bad service cyberpunky. 

As I waited and the hour turned into 2,  turned into 4, it was pretty obvious the frustration I was feeling, but have i had a call, an email, a text even? A "sorry about the mix up" "did you get back all right?" Of course not.

Even a "are you enjoying that fabulous car of yours?"

nope, nothing

This is business and customers matter whether you are selling old or new Porsche's. If you lose sight of this of course your business will suffer,not because one person posts on a forum like this. The fact that you chose to defend them and many others have offered up their words of support and good experiences is proof that they have in the past done things right.

In my case, well, it never really felt like this customer mattered at all. I am sure this won't put them out of business, but they should at least read the collective responses from all (good and bad).

Hmmmm.. going by the length and detail of you post I detect a nerve has been stuck, which I actually do get to a certain degree as I too work in the industry and its why "Liked" your post.

But ,I don't 100% agree with all your points/comment…… i don't know turboT nor the Healey Factory.  What I read from turboT's vent/feedback/customer experience was a guy who's expectations were not met and a supplier who could have done better.  Or possibly a guy who's expectations were unrealistic and a supplier who did what they thought the customer wanted.

Were turboT's expectations too high and did he contribute to the "poor communication? as you pointed out we don't really know as we only have one version of the truth. 

1. dealer wasn't on that day, something he neglected to tell me - Your dealing with a company not a person,reasonable to expect the same level of service from any of the staff.

2. replacement wasn't expecting me at 8am - Why, because no arrangement had been made or poor internal communication - as above

3. car didn't have an unregistered vehicle permit which meant it was undrivable and uninsured - As above

4. when I requested the RWC for VIC I was told they didn't realize I wanted this but their work would pass. It didn't. Turned out there was a crack in the exhaust that need welding - As above

5. oh, and no fuel - Reasonable to expect the car to have a tank of fuel when spending $100K plus - But we don't know what margin was left for the dealer in the final deal?

I have worked in and dealt with many dealerships in my time, it's not uncommon for one department to blame the other when dealing with a customer complaint of poor service. And while there may some truth in these comments, they may be the reasons why something did not happen they are still not an excuse for poor service.

Customers at times do only hear what they want to hear!

Customer - So my car will be ready in three weeks, yeah?

Dealer - Yes sir as long as all the parts are available, arrive on time and are the correct ones.

Customer - so thats a definite yes then!

Ok, so this has gone on longer than i expected but i'm trying to be balanced.

If turboT sent HF an e-mail like this:

Dear HF, I will be coming down to collect my car on (Insert date) and i will be driving it back to Sydney the following day.

Can you confirm the following will be completed so I can book my flight.

• Tank of fuel - 
  • RWC or permit - (whatever is required for me to drive it back legally )
  • All agreed repair work completed and to a satisfactory standard.
  • Pick up time of (insert time)

Regards

turboT (Would probably use real name)

If he got a reply confirming all was done then he got poor service, if this or similar e-mail (communication) was not sent then it fair to say turboT took a gamble.

I agree it may have been better to just say in the post, "not everything was as expected when i picked up the car" until HF had a reasonable opportunity to resolve the situation.

Alternatively we can take the stereotypical approach……

Healey Factory - Car Dealers = "Dodgy gits" + turboT - Porsche Owners  = "Tossers" combine both and you have a recipe for disaster ;)

Remember this is a forum and people (pointing at self) will say things from time to time that may rile some people up,get taken out of context or is just crap! I don't think its ever meant to intentionally upset or offend .

Hi Caladonian

No one is a dodgey git or a tosser. This was not a dealer that communicated well using mail or phone unfortunately so I don't think sending them lists would have helped. If they care, they will learn. If they read the responses good and bad they will learn. If they don't really care? Well it doesn't really matter to me. As Cyber punky says ' I got a great car.' I will fix what needs to be fixed and keep on driving

Archived