Porsche 928 - Time to Buy?

Rob

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if you believe the internet - and why wouldn't you - 928 owner's then spend the rest of their lives worried about:

hot oil pressures at idle,

thrust bearings wearing out because the driveshaft wants to come out the front of the motor,

the world's longest timing belt,

changing water pumps with every change of undies,

ZDDP inadequacies,

picking up No.2 and 3 bigends,

explaining to people how misunderstood they are,

explaining why you didn't buy a "real" Porsche,

explaining why the manuals are rubbish and the autos are the pick,

etc. etc.

Surely enought to send anyone to an early grave hey Tazzie! :P

Surely enought to send anyone to an early grave hey Tazzie! :P

I 'spose if you are the worrying type that might be true. I'm not.

OTOH...modern watercooleds - IMS , Crank position sensor broke, coil packs buggered , check engine light on again...the sky is falling  :P

The thrust bearing issues and oil pressure relates to people using the wrong oil weight. Mericans trying to outsmart the factory!

Everything else is NBD , just stuff called routine maintenance!

Is there any other mass-produced front engined GT car that have risen in value?  XJS?  BMW 8 series? 

Aston Martins and Jensens aren't really in the same category if you ask me.

I don't have a dog in the fight and I'd like to see more 928s saved from the crusher if anything.  I'm just not so sure hype alone can push a car along.

Not to mention that the Porsche mags are rapidly running out of models for the usual " The Forgotten Porsche" articles. Oh, and Magnus has bought a 928 so that should be worth at least a 10-20% premium.

Given the current values across the general range they don't have much room to go further south? Worth noting this has been raised many times before and I have yet to see values rise dramatically. Who knows...................

From my abortive attempt at purchasing a very nice "S3" 2 1/2 years ago, prices look have risen now that I am getting back to starting to look again... I will need more money now to get an equivalent car - or at least it very much appears that way....??

Are there many 'import' 928's? vs Aus Delivered ones? Does it affect the value?

The values seem to have gone up a little (there aren't any really cheap ones - cheapest I saw on carsales was $9500 with a modified engine and bodykit)

I bought one 'cause I've always wanted one.  Who really cares what it'll be worth, prices rising, prices falling, enjoy a little kids. 

Due to a/c 911 values rising you've suddenly become futures traders and risk mitigation enthusiasts.

, and A/C 911s are overvalued , for what they inherently are and can do .

Yeah yeah but a lot of those results were back in the day (last century) when Porsche only had a 911 to sell , and the company followed the old win on Sunday mantra. Also there are quite a few on your list that were water-cooled non-911s.

Then they realised having only 1 product wasn't a great corporate idea , thus branched out with Piech's savvy VW-Audi group with the 914s and 924s. The 911 turbo only happened because they were forced out of 917 type racing and it was a long shot, what to do with all the technology despite the oil crisis and hatred of sports cars in general

The 928 was never designed for racing , even though 928GTR... it was an amalgam of all they had learned about making a car run reliably , efficiently and handle brilliantly in any conditions. Though they left plenty of potential under the hood for further development and even turbocharging should this be "required". 

Unfortunately the company almost bankrupted itself in the 90s and left the racing to privateers. The Toyota guy didn't like the 928 so it was allowed to die.

Much as I love the A/C cars for all their quaintness and VW-ness and various compromises, had they pushed a non-911 racer to the fore,  notwithstanding the silverbacks and yuppies with S$$ , the 911 may well have fizzled. Everyone aspires to the racing model or the one that has a few of the racy bits to make them stand out from the crowd. 

Why can't we have a new "928" that can keep up with Nissans , Bentleys , Mercs , Corvettes and Astons etc (ref 2014 Le Mans , 2015 Liquimoly 12 hr etc?)

Surely there is enough dough in the kitty again. Even though a lot is being poured into the LMP cars, trying to beat Toyotas and Nissans, but no longer needing to win on Sundays to sell cars.

I digress as usual, though not afraid to raise some points for discussion.

Funny how the 911 is a now a GT car  , but in good company with its predecessors :) .

I thought the whole appeal of the 928 was it was the thinking mans Porsche anyway.  And that means being smart enough to realise it's good value.

If it goes up in value all those thinking men will have become slavish trend followers and will be forced to sell to maintain their status.

Archived