Porsche 928 - Time to Buy?

Rob

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much teutonic rumbles of 2 door "Panamera" ; we'll see if that ever happens.

Hard to squeeze a V8 in there and not have a big radiator grille. 

But it would increase interest in old 928s.

As with all the 996/997 owners who put an old 911 in the stable eh?

I bought one 'cause I've always wanted one.  Who really cares what it'll be worth, prices rising, prices falling, enjoy a little kids. 

Due to a/c 911 values rising you've suddenly become futures traders and risk mitigation enthusiasts.

Still awaiting photos of this said 928?  :D

Much teutonic rumbles of 2 door "Panamera" ; we'll see if that ever happens.

Hard to squeeze a V8 in there and not have a big radiator grille. 

But it would increase interest in old 928s.

As with all the 996/997 owners who put an old 911 in the stable eh?

This one has the 4.8 LTR V8 looks ok, Still a 4 door though : And the old 911 in the shed is younger than me :D  188748912.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi

I presume one of the factors determining if it is time to buy or not is the current price/value? We know it is a lot of car, but at what buy in (and running) cost?

As I am not an avid follower of the price fluctuations for these, what are the price ranges for varying years/models (I know this is probably how long is a piece of string question, so just rough ranges)?

I presume one of the factors determining if it is time to buy or not is the current price/value? We know it is a lot of car, but at what buy in (and running) cost?

17 year model life. Which one are you after? A GTS is a very different proposition to an S...

Then we can see how long the piece of string is!

GTS - Rare , generally cherished and well maintained , some parts hard to find . more complex - parts prices may be considerably higher than an S , some issues (oil consumption). I wouldn't touch one under 30k and expect  50k+ for a really good one. KGB can answer more. I doubt I will ever be in the market for one. Though said to be collectable , factor in maintenance and it may not be a blue chip investement if it actually gets used. And if it doesn't get used , expect trouble - these cars love a spanking!

will $20k get an 'alright' 928/928S? or should I be spending more? (by alright i mean something i can drive and work on through the weekends to fix up)

where do S4 prices start?

Look at all you guys following Tazziemans flute up the hill! The pied piper of 928s is weaving a spell :)

I read up on all the options once, I think I picked the S2 as the one to have for price/value equation, but I don't know if it is the right model from longevity/problems perspective.

Look at all you guys following Tazziemans flute up the hill! The pied piper of 928s is weaving a spell :)

I read up on all the options once, I think I picked the S2 as the one to have for price/value equation, but I don't know if it is the right model from longevity/problems perspective.

so an import is the pick for price/value? 

I heard discussions that a 928S isn't the one to buy for parts compatibility - How true is it?

I'm amazed to see a 928S is 1500kg but i guess i'm used to overweight mercedes sedans

I'm amazed to see a 928S is 1500kg but i guess i'm used to overweight mercedes sedans

Must have the wrong one! Mine (E320 and the 60's ones too) weighs less than a 928, which I struggle to get my head around - a 4 door luxury sedan with plenty of kit and go, weighs about the same or less than a 928!

Buying a 928 of any description from an enthusiast will cost you no more to maintain than a 911 of the same vintage.

In my year of owning the GTS, it has cost me twice what the 964 cost to maintain in its first year - however, despite the comparable lower miles, the Oz delivered 964 was regularly driven and maintained, versus the Jap-spec GTS that had sat neglected for some years. All deferred maintenance items, no surprises.

I've said it before, however, and I'll say it again - don't guy a 928 as a cheap Porsche. Buy it as an undervalued supercar, and expect the maintenance to be commensurate, but still reasonable.

Not at all, I was just asked by a customer if I would like to buy his 928GTS to add to the 930 because he is considering selling it, as we often talk cars/Porsche, and I thought I would look at them a bit closer before I said a definite no thanks (or yes :ph34r:)....

But, I do agree, he is single handedly raising the profile of the 928!

Archived