Porsche 928 - Time to Buy?

Rob

10K might get you an OK 928S,  but you might need to have some skills .As I've said before , a tatty one is very difficult to restore to a high standard and that's no different to say a 70s Ferrari or Maserati. 

I would not recommend these cars other than to say that once you step off the new car depreciation treadmill and cut the umbilical cord to the dealerships , the rewards are many. It will always be a niche market and I'm quite happy to be in that eccentric club. 

Oh and btw yes of course they are fat heavy slugs , no way could I keep up in a race to 100k or the 1/4 mile  ;) if classic car enjoyment was ever about that in the first place.

The PO says mine is quicker than a GTS,  but it has a special engine... You can't make a racehorse out of a pig , but you can make an awfully fast porker.

the_pied_piper_of_hamelin_by_luizferrare

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How you finded this picture?  I go under radar.

The spare tyre on the roof was obviously just peaking through!

That's not a spare tyre, that's keeping the sunroof open whilst sporting some local headgear -

Ushanka.JPG

Nearly up to 12 months of ownership ; car was bought having been a reliable daily driver for 11 years or so. Engine built 2001 , head gaskets done 2011 (car sat for a year with old coolant)

Bought with known  repair/maintenance items , nothing urgent , and these have been attended to - all except exhaust work (to quieten it a bit!) have been done by me. If I had paid someone else , well as they say,  don't add up the bills! 

In the next few months I will replace all rear brake components (because I like to "ground zero" my cars) and remove and replace all intake rubber - quite a few lines there , but it's just a careful weekend's work much of which involves cleaning. I may find other little jobs whilst in there but then again  maybe not.

The list so far:

Smog pump delete - done June 2014 

Replace spark plugs -  done May 2014

Replaced ignition switch - May 2014 & Cleaned all ground points and fuses

Steering pump reservoir weeping - tightened hose , fixed

Spoiler protection plates - fitted May 2014

Oil line bypass radiator loop - done May 2014

Replace radiator - Behr - done  May 2014 Coolant : Penrite 4 yr;  New radiator cap 928 MS

R&R CV joints - done May 2014 cost ~$50 , (saved ~$500)

Fix interior lights - done August 2014

Defroster switch issue - disassembled , cleaned , reassembled

Fixed sunroof switch - May 2014

Fixed rear hatch leaks - June 2014 incl new perimeter seal

Re-skinned rear glovebox lid - June 2014

New taller console lid - June 2014

Replaced original (broken) door arm rests - fixed with 928MS galvanised reinforcement kit July 2014

Fitted Porsche crest hubcaps - June 2014

Steering rack boots ; replace steering rack bushes (aluminium - 928 Motorsports) - done June 5-6 2014

Tie rod ends - installed August 2014

Steering wheel slip ring - installed July 2014

Installed wheel well guards

RHS spoiler air duct - done July 2014 Replaced missing brake ducts - August 2014

New old stock RHS taillamp lens (cracked) done July 2014

Renewed/rebuilt engine wiring harness done July 2014 , saved ~1k at least

Fixed horn July 2014

Upgraded headlamp globes

New front wheel bearings (inner/outer with races) , discs , brake hoses , upper wishbone balljoints  (rebuilt with 928MS kit) , tie rod ends : August 2014

New alternator duct August 2014

Replaced blower motor and adjusted resistor pack August 2014

Jerry Feather cowl cover August 2014

Negative battery cut off switch August 2014

Replaced rear wiper motor - August 2014

New rear exhaust : December 2014 : 2.5" + resonator + muffler 

New stereo head unit + front speakers + subwoofer : Feb 2015

My AC is not at present connected (electrically),  though all the bits are there and the HVAC diaphragms and fans all work. It's said to be a very effective system so it's just a matter of working through what if anything needs replacing. I've survived summer without it (as with all my old cars)  , though clearly I don't live in the tropics . But them oldtimey blokes taking series Land Rovers all over the deserts didn't need AC either  B)

A little caution for those attempting to retrieve the Arkenstone from Smaug's lair...

An Aust/Euro specced 928 is likely to be quite different from a USA specced model.

Do your research carefully , as stuff like fuel injectors are not necessarily compatible or even available - though Bruce Buchanan

has fixes for just about everything on these cars. Though you may have to pay his labour cost.

And of course there are less RHD parts available than LHD , so tracking down OEM power steering hoses , throttle cables etc might be harder.

Obviously loved. Just need to change the steering wheel.

Very few choices with 928s. Stock wheels look like crap and cost $$$ to refurb

The 930S wheel is a good one , but $$$

Other than that , it's Momos and the like.

Archived