Wanted 930 T

Carrera86

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you want a stock 930? There is what sounds like a heavily modified one mentioned in an ad for an NSX that I posted in what's for sale thread. The ad mentions his other toy being a 930 and there's one photo of it, "one must go" I assume that means he'd sell NSX or 930. Might be worth following up, effectively off market opportunity.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Honda-NSX-1996/SSE-AD-3263372

What? Your 930 is worth twice what I want for my SC?

That was last week Tazzie. Saozzi missed out. Due to a bull market I am now asking 1 million dollars.

Unfortunately the bottom has fallen out of the SC market when it was revealed in Germany last week what 'SC' actually stands for. World wide owners of 'Seriously Crap' cars have been leaving them abandoned on the street or pushing them into the Reine once it was revealed that within the engine case, which was once thought to be an original Porsche product, a very small LADA engine was found, producing a little over 22bhp. If you still want to sell I have heard residents of Nimbin are now converting SC's into Beatles.*

*disclaimer. This is only an attempt at humour to entertain myself whilst watching 'bananas in pajamas' for the 5th time at 5.30am with my 2 years old. I am in no way being derogatory towards SC owners who clearly own a fabulous piece of machinery. My mentioning 'asking 1 million dollars' is a simple mistake. Please instead insert the words 'going for a drive.'

You can have my SC for 60 grand. It doesn't even have a smog pump because it was never fitted with one from the factory, being an advanced model with an oxygen sensor and brain box under the seat.

Ok, 59 k and it's yours, fit your own turbo and away you go. A least the engine case starts with 930.

You can have my SC for 60 grand. It doesn't even have a smog pump because it was never fitted with one from the factory, being an advanced model with an oxygen sensor and brain box under the seat.

Ok, 59 k and it's yours, fit your own turbo and away you go. A least the engine case starts with 930.

Did I hear "smog pump"? ......  B)

How much is a car devalued when you change the motor ? ie numbers dont match

but a better motor now in place ?

Healey have a non matching US import in grey. I think they want about $80K. So compared to other imports, they clearly think the 'non matching' makes no difference (they are also selling an import with matching numbers for $79k). Not sure what the market would think about this - matching numbers seems to be top of everyone's list when looking at a good quality to car. I assume the 991 GT3's that caught on fire last year and had their engines replaced by Porsche will be affected later down the track.

Slipery slope, that question ....

To some, the car is worthless .... to others it doesn't matter.

If you had 2 identical cars, one matching and one not, there will be a definite price difference .... although the biggest difference is that the ones who don't care will buy either car ..... the ones that do care will only look at one of them ...

In $$$ terms, I couldn't tell you .... but if it doesn't bother you and you are looking at one, offer what it is worth to you and don't worry so much about the market.

There is a difference between a non-matching numbers motor - where the motor was replaced with a like-for-like, and a car where a completely different motor is installed.

Ie, an early 3 litre 930 with a 3.3 and inter cooler would be seriously affected in price. An 85 930 with a different - but correct - 85 motor would only be slightly affected in price. If you had receipts showing a motor replaced under warranty I doubt there would be any difference at all.

The matching numbers thing comes from the us muscle car world where a lot of the special cars were created by ticking options on the order form. So a normal camaro and a special option one might look exactly the same, but only by ticking an option did you get a high compression big block or something. Lots of people take the normal car, buy the big block and try and pass it off as a special optioned car. So the high values go to the one where the engine gearbox numbers matched the build sheet.

It's less of an issue with most Porsches as they generally only had one engine option for the year (apart from turbo/non-turbo). But mix and match fitting, while creating cool cars, affects the value of a car that is still original in other respects.

Archived