What is it with PA and COA's?

Has anybody here managed to get a COA out of Porsche Australia in recent years?

My emails are either fobbed of or not replied to at all.

Can I obtain a COA from another source than PA?

I think I'm not the only one asking this question.

Was going to ask Porsche Center Adelaide but I suspect they will just give me Harry's number and I'm back to square one again?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently there is a new guy in Melbourne. Autohaus have said they are going to track down the details for me. They did however mention that since the last guy left this has become less of a priority so can take sometime. Will let you know if they come back with the details

Maybe offer to pay.

I'm surprised it's not a, 'pay for service' already. With all the market activity the requests must be more frequent.

I mean, it may not take much time but it must take time from their usual duties.

My request goes back two years. The most recent email I've received was in January from Harry, apologising for the delay and assuring me they are slowly addressing the requests. In the two years, I've offered many times to cover the costs, and also gone through many occasions of no replies, months of silence.

I got one from Melbourne Porsche about 2 years ago. Took a few emails and a follow up call but eventually got one. A really nice freebie which I intend to frame and put in the man cave at some point.

Would skipping the middle man and going straight to Germany be a better option? Lotus had an awesome UK based guy who would reply at the drop of a hat and have the COA in no time (for a fee of course) - as a company they're a lot less efficient than Porsche. Maybe somone over on Rennlist would know?

I have authentication (not a fancy pants framed cert though) for 4 of my crappy old Porsches and certainly didn't pay a dirty red cent. You just have to be in the know OS...that is all I'm saying.

PA are playing you for fools.

I have authentication (not a fancy pants framed cert though) for 4 of my crappy old Porsches and certainly didn't pay a dirty red cent. You just have to be in the know OS...that is all I'm saying.

PA are playing you for fools.

like the sound of those fancy pants ones

Well I called in to Porsche Center Adelaide today.

They had the time to make a call to PA.

The answer was yes, Harry is still in charge of this...

It is no longer a "COA" it is a "Certificate of Ownership?"

I need to provide, the VIN, the color, the manufacture date, what engine and gear box it has and any options it came with?

I already have a "Certificate of Ownership" for the car, I get a new one every time I register the car?

So I think I would be paying them to tell me what I told them?

I might look to the US?

That's interesting Shady,

I was told just to email engine number and VIN and proof of ownership in the form of a scan of my rego paper!

Did you actually talk to Harry directly or was it a "relay" of info?

I'm thinking before we give up we all just give Harry a call each week to politely enquire on progress!

That's interesting Shady,

I was told just to email engine number and VIN and proof of ownership in the form of a scan of my rego paper!

Did you actually talk to Harry directly or was it a "relay" of info?

I'm thinking before we give up we all just give Harry a call each week to politely enquire on progress!

I did this about 18 months ago and didn't have an issue, It was around the time Harry had taken over the role, but within a few weeks I had it in my hand

Can anyone confirm his contact details below are current?

Harry Aspiotis

Warranty Operations Coordinator

Phone: +61(0) 3 9473 0938

Fax: +61 (0) 3 9473 0959

Mobile: +61488 200 012

Email: harry.aspiotis@porsche.com.au

Porsche Cars Australia Pty.Ltd. 109-111 Victoria Pde, Collingwood, Vic 3066, Melbourne, Australia

The old team have moved on ;  Porsche have grown very very successfully the past ten years and the old stuff has no place in the profit margin. Come on , it's a business for making money and they are doing very well. Classic Porsches are largely managed by independents and enthusiasts,  so why would you allow an individual to waste time on no , or low profit "initiatives" such as COA? I'm happy to be corrected!

With a tear in my eye I recall that Wheeler Dealers Jensen Interceptor episode where he goes to the original factory where they keep all the old records , and hands Mike a thick sheaf of the build details of his artisan-crafted machine. 

I contacted Porsche (Germany) and received this reply (in it's entirety):

"Good morning Brian,

you can order the CoA from your local dealer/importer,
see information on the homepage www.porsche.com

best regards Marc
Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Aktiengesellschaft
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Stuttgart"

My bit:

To issue a certificate of authenticity "by mail" is both ludicrous and dangerous for the company issuing the the CoA leaving them wide open for a law suite. How does the the company issuing the CoA know that this "item" is still as is was when it left the factory or showroom without conducting a thorough inspection of the "item"?

In our case a VIN could be for an IB car but the car has been altered to 964 body kit, how would the company know? You supply a VIN, name, address etc, they supply a CoA for a vehicle sight unseen.  A purchaser comes along, sees a CoA from the company and thinks this is genuine then later finds out it is not.

Even aftermarket modifications were carried out on "items".  Does this still make it authentic or should the modifications be included under a "variance" paragraph?

Should older models have a CoA with a variance paragraph?

A CoA could issued when the car was new and would only be valid until the car was out of sight.

Cardex (build order) info is really all you need to find out how the car left the factory according to the VIN and this will confirm the originality or authenticity with reference to the VIN.

In essence its a nice piece of paper to have but it really doesn't mean a lot.

Perhaps the owners of the PFA site could write an official letter to PA requesting clarity on this matter. It might provide a bit more clout than a bunch of air cooled randoms emailing spasmodically.

Archived