Donor car for project

turboT

In the back of my head for the last 6 months there has been this little thought...'build your perfect p car.' I think this almost certainly started when I first saw and studied Singer cars a couple of years ago. The lines, fastidious attention to detail, speed etc etc. They really are beautiful cars and I even went as far as contacting Rob Dickerson (who replied back personally - don't you love that!). At the cost in the US this a car that is still quite hard to justify, but once imported into OZ, forget it. I stopped counting when I got past $650k.

So whilst they were pretty close to perfection and definitely appealed to the designer in me, they were out of reach, so ,I went to ,autohaus. At the time I don't think I was ready, and certainly had not yet formed enough of a picture of what I wanted to be certain of placing an order. I was also a little nervous as so many aspects to a Singer have been engineered personally for them over many years so are not items you can just buy. Autohaus could deliver mechanically but could they deliver the Rob interior? The seats for example are only made for them...

Anyway, I stepped back for a while, picked myself up an amazing 930, and now get to enjoy the old and the new sides of the this brand. Very lucky boy I know, but fuck it. 10 years building up a business, got to have some fun :)

But the thought is still there, so I thought I would ask whether anyone knew of a good Donor? It will probably sit for a while until I am ready, but with prices doing what they are doing I thought I might aswell start the search.

So what am I after:

Good body rust free

G50 gear box - this was an autohaus recommendation and I think affects the year of the car. Pre 89 might be an issue but happy to be proved wrong on this.

Turbo arches potentially, but can always be added later

Engine doesn't really matter as it will probably be upgraded to a 3.8 or 4lt but if any one knows of a 993 engine lying around this could be of interest

Deffinatelly a coupe

Ideally not a convert, but doesn't have to be Aussie delivered

Price, well who knows. Depends a little on the car but this will be an expensive final build so I would have thought somewhere between $25k and $45k

I missed on the perfect example in Perth a few months back. Somebodys unfinished project but I thought too much and it went.

So please let know what you know! Much appreciated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you want a turbo or N/A car?

My car will be up for sale in the not to distant future but it's going to be a little more than your bracket. 

350+hp and 500ftlb tq at the wheels. K27 turbo Andail intercooler,fabspeed headers etc. 3.3ltr and matching 4 speed Wevo shifter. 

Do you want a turbo or N/A car?

My car will be up for sale in the not to distant future but it's going to be a little more than your bracket. 

350+hp and 500ftlb tq at the wheels. K27 turbo Andail intercooler,fabspeed headers etc. 3.3ltr and matching 4 speed Wevo shifter.

To be honest I am still figuring out what the best route is and I will be checking in with autohaus to refine requirements. The general visual stance of the 930 is a starting point. I think a turbo or two will definitely by involved but my aim is to go GT rather than track feel. A bit more refinement, a little less cage if you know what I mean. I have a feeling the engine might need to come from a separate deal not from the original car, but not totally sure. It maybe that a chassis is all I need, but really depends on the car. Send me some pics, and if it ends up saving money from the build costs paying more may not be an issue

I missed on the perfect example in Perth a few months back. Somebodys unfinished project but I thought too much and it went.

The red Uk already widebodied G50?  Thought about doing the same thing to the same car....I also thought too much...

Ok so turboT, Trev and me lets do a package deal. Build 3 long hood 4 litre Aussie singer-ish hot rods. Got to be cheaper than 3 x individual builds. A hotrod group buy....? $650k+ for a Singer is drug money no matter how good the thing is.

if that is the case you have a long project ahead? so many little bits to chase down.

best to be able to sell off bits from a more complete car, than to spend weeks scouring ebay for pieces here and there..

That could be part of the fun, but more likely what I will get Autohaus to do for me :)

Ok so turboT, Trev and me lets do a package deal. Build 3 long hood 4 litre Aussie singer-ish hot rods. Got to be cheaper than 3 x individual builds. A hotrod group buy....? $650k+ for a Singer is drug money no matter how good the thing is.

4AABCF43-26BE-448B-A3AC-95DC712D541C_zps

31C66F7F-F4CD-43F7-8444-7F53FDDDB703_zps

8BED5B1C-732E-438E-9863-03B0D47E4C96_zps

So, three of these?

That's a big question JV and one largely driven by budget. In someways Singer have nailed it and visually the silver beast earlier in this thread is it. But can I build something of that quality here for a 1/3 of the price, or roughly the cost of a 991 S? That would be the brief I would initially set the builder, and then I am sure would follow the list of compromises. I certainly don't need Carbon fibre paneling, but the attention to detail is what I would be looking for. Singer have had years to perfect their product though. Mine (and yours) would be a 1 of 1, so fraut with risk.

I would be very interested to learn more from you about the moment when you went from concept to actual order. A big cliff you jumped off there.. :)

Archived