Donor car for project

turboT

That's a big question JV and one largely driven by budget. In someways Singer have nailed it and visually the silver beast earlier in this thread is it. But can I build something of that quality here for a 1/3 of the price, or roughly the cost of a 991 S? That would be the brief I would initially set the builder, and then I am sure would follow the list of compromises. I certainly don't need Carbon fibre paneling, but the attention to detail is what I would be looking for. Singer have had years to perfect their product though. Mine (and yours) would be a 1 of 1, so fraut with risk.

I would be very interested to learn more from you about the moment when you went from concept to actual order. A big cliff you jumped off there.. :)

ah so a backdate then...wicked. I assume you've had a good poke around the blue RSR project at AH. That was originally a 930 from memory. Granted it's more track-oriented than what you're thinking but should give you plenty of ideas.

Let's tee something up when I get the car back, which should be the end of next week. Happy to share ideas, what we've learnt, pitfalls...and fiscal requirements!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep that blue thing at Autohaus is a little bright for my taste :)(I am a boring turbo driver afterall:)) but an interesting build non the less. Would love to catch up when you have the car back and learn a little more about your experience

AH is doing one of them too

If I understood correctly the riviera blue 930 that was forward-dated to 964 Turbo is now being back-dated

I like the concept of starting with a late 930 turbo just keep the linage to the name. But donor car costs and scarcity will probably prevent this..

I like the concept of starting with a late 930 turbo just keep the linage to the name. But donor car costs and scarcity will probably prevent this..

Have you looked at carsales? There are more fiddled-with 930s for sale than there are 911 coupes of any type. And the prices are not that far apart. By the time you weld on some big flares and go looking for more power a 930 base isn't so silly.

Have you looked at carsales? There are more fiddled-with 930s for sale than there are 911 coupes of any type. And the prices are not that far apart. By the time you weld on some big flares and go looking for more power a 930 base isn't so silly.

Believe me I thought about this. Currently you are still looking at a car for about $70k though. I am finding potential donors closer to the $25k mark. Very few around though

I am thinking a 964 is what I need as a base, but not yet totally sure. The engine will almost certainly be from another source as we will need at least a 3.6l, but G50 Box is a must. 

What does anyone think of this + baring in mind this would be a complete build does anyone think converting a car from LHD is a concern?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-Carrera-Coupe-/261812044469

TurboT

I would speak to Zag in Sydney to see what they have regarding a donor body. They can also give you costings in all the bodywork side of things. IE: conversions etc

Then AH for engineering/drivetrain.

What does anyone think of this + baring in mind this would be a complete build does anyone think converting a car from LHD is a concern?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-Carrera-Coupe-/261812044469

That seems like an expensive proposition at 55k usd plus whatever it costs to import. A lot of people won't go for a converted car if you ever choose to sell it.

A basket case 964 would be the way to go, maybe from Hong Kong or Singapore. Factory rhd, g50, coilover suspension etc

Failing that a late 3.2. G50 but no coilovers

That seems like an expensive proposition at 55k usd plus whatever it costs to import. A lot of people won't go for a converted car if you ever choose to sell it.

A basket case 964 would be the way to go, maybe from Hong Kong or Singapore. Factory rhd, g50, coilover suspension etc

Failing that a late 3.2. G50 but no coilovers

A basket case 964 is exactly what i want...but can i find one? Did Autohaus source yours for you?

Yea, it just so happened that another client was looking to sell. Wasn't a basket case, quite tidy in fact. Could have just spent 10-15k tidying it up and been happy

Currently there is nothing for sale here which is why am looking overseas, but I totally agree a conversion just brings too much stigma in the Oz market. I looked a little at the Japan market, but discovered that most P-cars are actually LHD. Several theories why - "owners think they are cooler this way," + "alot have been imported from Europe."

Been researching '3d computer models' of existing porsche models to help in the design process and came across these. They are supposed to be a 964, but tiny little tweeks all over the place have lead to what I think is a pretty interesting car. Sort of a more modern Singer.  

02_zpslsvbbohe.jpg

04_zpsu27pdsnm.jpg

03_zpsl5ntzplk.jpg

01_zpshpjahpe8.jpg

I love the rear end and the flared guards, not sure about the front bumper though needs some more curves IMHO.

agree  - the qtr panels look great. Mixed thoughts on the front end. Feels very modern which goes away from the long body conversions look so i don't mind the difference. What he has done is remold all of the lower most black 'skirts' giving them a far more contemporary feel. Loving the wing mirror shape in the first pic aswell. 

Archived