944 Turbo WTB

Rai

Good luck with the hunt. I know 110 86 came into Australia and were sold over 2 years. Not sure how many 88s came in but the will be thin on the ground. The extra HP is nice and pretty sure the M030 suspension was standard, so will be a great car. The ABS and airbags put me off though personally.

I can provide a bit more information.  As Cyberpunky stated,

110 944Ts were imported in 1986...

1987: none imported (still selling the '86s)

1988: 25

1989: 38

1990: 15 (mine is one of the last 15 :D , sorry, not for sale...)

Good luck with your search.  Happy to help out if you want a Brissie one looked at.

Thanks to all for the valuable information on the numbers imported. Clearly to find a 250 hp model will be difficult as so few imported and I guess a few are no longer with us.

I am prepared to look at 1986 model although I have only driven the 1988 model. I did own one back in the 90's. 

Has anyone driven both.  Much power difference or other differences that make a 1986 model much less desriable?

I ran an '86 for about four years before succumbing to the air-cooled itch with a '93 964.  From that I went into a '94 968 and then realised that I needed a Turbo back in my life, and was lucky enough to pick up a '90 at the beginning of 2014.  Looking back, I suppose the main driving difference between the '86 (220hp) and '90 (250hp) is that the '86 comes on boost earlier, but also signs off earlier, but this is fairly academic in a road-driven car in Australia.  This makes the 220hp car a bit more friendly to drive around town.  The main difference between the two is the turbos: a KKK 26/6 in the 220 and a 26/8 in the 250.  That said, the 220hp engine can be reliably tuned to in excess of 400hp quite readily (ask Pauly!).  The main issue for me with the '86 was the "early" wheel offset (23mm) which limits the possibility of using later model Porsche wheels unless spacers are used.  The post '86 cars had "late offset" suspension to enable the fitment of ABS, which the '86 didn't have and lets you fit wheels from 964, 993, 968, Boxster and later 911s with no spacers required.

You might find this website a useful resource:

http://944turbo.net/?page_id=54

Good luck with your search!

Agree with all of the above except I think early offset is a plus as you can fit either and spacers are perfectly legal with our cars, as was a factory option. As stated above very easy to get more, in ways that will go unnoticed, like chips exhaust etc but be warned boost is addictive and more is only cure ;)

The white one above looks good and has great Ks but thats not always ideal if it has sat for any long period but otherwise great. The ad says 8's and 9's for the wheels but if orignal that should be 7's and 8's, could just be an honest mistake, and no biggie if modded to 9' as still Fuchs and genuine although not original. Interior is mint and the dash is perfect(rare). The rear worries me a little as that rear sticker is missing ends, This maybe because replaced after being rear ended, but may have just been removed. To me it just doesn't look right as is. Easiest way to tell is if original options sticker is still in place(inside rear panel under carpet) as can't be replaced and rear ender would require repair there, Little doubt it's an 86 model but like mine, may have been sold in 87, so many owners would refer to it as an 87 not knowing any better. No mention of ABS so will be 86 spec unless import(ABS and airbags were fitted to 87s). If import not woth that sort of money, as thats an aussie dleivered price. All pretty easy things to verify. Worth every cent IMO if it all stands up as that interior and engine look pristine.

If it's an 87 sold 86, then only issue is when ordering parts as most parts guys wont know that an aussie 87 is an 86 and may order part from an 87 spec car going from PET info.

Thanks for comments on the 944 and yes I noticed sticker ends and badge were missing. Apparently badge just removed but I did not ask about stickers.

Owner seems very honest and told me that the speedo was not working and so km's may be over 200k. Price seems a little high where the kms cannot be verified and given there are other 1986 944T's at $20k and below (note one in Qld at $16,900).

Would prefer to have a 1988 onwards model but for the right money happy to consider a 1986 model as I note that positive comments on the model.

If you are looking to sell a 944 turbo, let me know!

Thanks again

the car does have a mint interior(important as refurbing gets expensive quickly). Odometer gears are prone to failure due to age and material used for the gear(plastic). not that hard to get sorted. I wouldn't be put off by the higher K's as  even 200K is less than 10K a year and the alusil bores on these cars often means little ware has happened. I don't think price is too high if it passes a PPI and leak down tests etc Get him to send you a pic of options sticker, as that confirms it hasn't been rear ended and also that is has m030 etc from factory. I would prefer a well looked after 200+ car to a lower K car that has seen long periods off the road. These cars often tend to have less issues if driven and maintained, than when stored. You may find cheaper but these cars are best judged on an individual basis.

Thanks for comments on the 944 and yes I noticed sticker ends and badge were missing. Apparently badge just removed but I did not ask about stickers.

Owner seems very honest and told me that the speedo was not working and so km's may be over 200k. Price seems a little high where the kms cannot be verified and given there are other 1986 944T's at $20k and below (note one in Qld at $16,900).

Would prefer to have a 1988 onwards model but for the right money happy to consider a 1986 model as I note that positive comments on the model.

If you are looking to sell a 944 turbo, let me know!

Thanks again

Wh

What a pity for the cost of odo repair ($120) the owner didn't get it done back when it broke - verified service records and logs of kms would surely help his sale far and above that repair

As already mentioned above the VDO instruments are easily repaired - I did mine myself for the cost of $20 and a few hrs of my time.......and hence kept the km log of my car accurate

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a great project, but don't expect it to finish up in less than 5 figures, at $6,100 on 26/04 with 8 days to go.  NB it's an 11/89 250HP, so there will be a bit of interest.  Rust around screen is disappointing, though.  On my watch list...

What a pity for the cost of odo repair ($120) the owner didn't get it done back when it broke - verified service records and logs of kms would surely help his sale far and above that repair

As already mentioned above the VDO instruments are easily repaired - I did mine myself for the cost of $20 and a few hrs of my time.......and hence kept the km log of my car accurate

I did the same thing, easy fix after a lot of fiddling with little bits and pieces.

If anyone is still looking for a turbo,

found this on ebay

Good buy.......

I would if i could........ :D

The paint is certainly a bit rough on this, i wonder if all the panels are scratched wouldn't be too bad if it was just the front.

It looks like it's had a hard life.

Does anyone approximate cost to repair the rust around the windscreen and/ or re spray a 944?

Rust shouldn't be an issue with a 944 as the body is galvanised. If there's rust, probably should walk away. That's my opinion anyway. 

Hi Rai

I will be watching your search with interest.  I was also on the hunt for a Turbo S, made even more difficult by my picky self wanting a guards red one.  That spec is about as rare as a unicorn!  Needless to say I still haven't found what I started looking for about 2 years ago and am now in a BMW 135i instead.  I will still own a guards red turbo one day but it could be a while.

If you're not fussed on colour then I would just buy the best 86-90 turbo you can find and then add a Rogue or Vitesse tune should you want more than the 220hp of the base model. All the best with your hunt! :)

Inspected 944 turbo on ebay for anyone interested. Needs paint which is badly discoloured on front and chips on rear. Also has damaged left hand rear quarter panel and some rust. Some rust around poorly fitted windscreen. Interior looks tired and would need new centre console, gear gaiter, switches etc. Air con not working and belts squeal on revving engine.

Not allowed to drive vehicle which raised my suspicion so cannot comment on clutch and whether gears engage.

Needs a lot of money to be spent and if you are handy and have the time to do it yourself may be worth a look. Otherwise, the end value with 264,000kms would not justify the money being spent in my view.

Inspected 944 turbo on ebay for anyone interested. Needs paint which is badly discoloured on front and chips on rear. Also has damaged left hand rear quarter panel and some rust. Some rust around poorly fitted windscreen. Interior looks tired and would need new centre console, gear gaiter, switches etc. Air con not working and belts squeal on revving engine.

Not allowed to drive vehicle which raised my suspicion so cannot comment on clutch and whether gears engage.

Needs a lot of money to be spent and if you are handy and have the time to do it yourself may be worth a look. Otherwise, the end value with 264,000kms would not justify the money being spent in my view.

This car will probably get pushed into a ridiculous price bracket by the auction, ok it's very much a collectable being a turbo S but it looks and sounds like too much neglect has set in, shame really that it's ended up in the condition that it's in, some people just don't know what they have.

This car will probably get pushed into a ridiculous price bracket by the auction, ok it's very much a collectable being a turbo S but it looks and sounds like too much neglect has set in, shame really that it's ended up in the condition that it's in, some people just don't know what they have.

All that being said, is it still not worth repairing for such a unique spec car? What would the end price be if it was all sorted?

Dealer would not allow a test drive so query what may be wrong with car. Also RSR sold a concours low km 1990 model about 18 months ago for $40,000 so most this one could be worth if sorted would be say $30,000. So not worth restoring in my view as cost would outweigh return unless you can do a lot of restoration yourself. Just my view!

Archived