What are the odds of finding this??

Dreamr

As many of you know, my 911 is one of 2 x Bamboo coloured cars sold new in Australia. It was sold by the then dealer in S.A.

I've always wondered what happened to the 2nd one and if it still exists.

So last week I bought a bulk lot of magazines from ebay with over 300 car mags and a ton of brochures. Included in this lot are about 50 Unique Car magazines dating from 1985 to mid 90's.

Great insight into car prices and availability of the time.

So I decide to start looking through some or them on the "off chance" I might actually find my car for sale sometime in the 80's / 90's.

Well, after 2 x magazines and heaps of Porches for sale, nothing (as expected). I did find a '74 RSR for sale in the mid 1990's for $96k or $65k for the engine only and another 911 RSR engine only for $50k.

Flicking through the 3rd magazine, I stop on a page with a few porches and start reading the ads. 1981 SC, 5 speed manual, finished in Bamboo with Beige Berber interior, blah, blah, blah .....

Turns out it's my original selling dealer in SA selling this one .... it's not mine as it has a different interior but it's the 2nd one being sold 7 years later in 1988 .....

Onward and upwards in my search .... I'll keep this post updated in case I happen to find mine .....

(by the way, I charge $50 an hour if you want me to find yours ..... :lol: )

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmmm, mines a nov 84 build but an 85 delivery so might just make your collection. Sold in Melbourne (don't yet know the dealer, but assume Hamiltons). No distinctive banana yellow unfortunately but there were only 47 930's delivered in Australia that year so couldn't be that many that were silver with blue interior. Just off to google what they sold for back then :)

Mmmmm, mines a nov 84 build but an 85 delivery so might just make your collection. Sold in Melbourne (don't yet know the dealer but assume Hamiltons). No distinctive banana yellow unfortunately but there were only 47 930's delivered in Australia that year so couldn't be that many that were silver with blue interior. Just off to google what they sold for back then :)

funny - first search directed me to PFA. Conversation three years ago about selling 930's. A few more for sale then it seems!

Turns out 930's were selling for $108,020 in 1985. Googled an inflation calculator and $108,020 is equivalent to $240,877 in today's money, so in reality they are at least half the price now than they were when sold back then. Of course a 991 turbo is double the cost :)

Ronny,

Have you tried stalking the previous owners by following up any names in the Driver's Manual and on any service invoices?

I've made contact with two and they were delighted to email me a page of reminisces. Still trying to track down the second owner with the only lead being he's a gynecologist from the South Coast .....

Ronny,

Have you tried stalking the previous owners by following up any names in the Driver's Manual and on any service invoices?

I've made contact with two and they were delighted to email me a page of reminisces. Still trying to track down the second owner with the only lead being he's a gynecologist from the South Coast .....

Hey Peter,

Unfortunately the only paperwork my car came with is an invoice for an air conditioning re gas 1 month before I bought it ... don't think that would lead me very far......

I did find a very old business card tucked away whilst cleaning from NT and looked up the company and rang them .... left a message for the guy on the card but he never rang me back .... must revisit that one .... thought he might have either owned it or it belonged to a customer of his. The PO did tell me it spent about 12 years in NT.

The search continues ....

My car once sold in NSW 1995 / 96 by a shonky car yard called Sashas?

Red 3Lt 1976 930.

I know this as my car came with some old rego papers. I chased one previous owner up and he told me a lot about the car.

I bought it in 2012 and paid the lowest price the car ever sold for.

I got in contact with the PO of my 930 in the UK. He thanked me for ruining his weekend. He let it go for just under GBP 16k. Bad market at the time. I also tried to contact the mob that sold it to him but having heard back.

I'm trying to contact a PO for the c3.2 - second owner listed in the book. He's a prominent restaurateur and publican. Hard to get a contact for.

When I was in 2nd year of high school (1978) my math teacher had an arrow blue SC with black interior, rear wing, wide arches and huge rear wheels. Some mornings he would stop and pick mum and I up and take us to school. Mum worked at the same school. My first experience as a Porsche passenger. I've never seen that car since I left school.

Anyone here have this SA delivered wide bodied arrow blue SC I wonder?

@ Dreamr. If you haven't already, start a thread with pics of your car and try fish out previous owner. Took 1.5 years for PO of my car to finally stumbled across my thread Which led to further POs and lots of interesting history of my car

When I was in 2nd year of high school (1978) my math teacher had an arrow blue SC with black interior, rear wing, wide arches and huge rear wheels. Some mornings he would stop and pick mum and I up and take us to school. Mum worked at the same school. My first experience as a Porsche passenger. I've never seen that car since I left school.

Anyone here have this SA delivered wide bodied arrow blue SC I wonder?

I'm wondering if it was your mums first experience as a Porsche passenger. You got any resemblance to that maths teacher?? :)

My car once sold in NSW 1995 / 96 by a shonky car yard called Sashas?

Red 3Lt 1976 930.

I know this as my car came with some old rego papers. I chased one previous owner up and he told me a lot about the car.

I bought it in 2012 and paid the lowest price the car ever sold for.

Are you able to tell from your paperwork if it ever had NSW rego OB 396 ?

Mmmmm, mines a nov 84 build but an 85 delivery so might just make your collection. Sold in Melbourne (don't yet know the dealer, but assume Hamiltons). No distinctive banana yellow unfortunately but there were only 47 930's delivered in Australia that year so couldn't be that many that were silver with blue interior. Just off to google what they sold for back then :)

So ..... so far I have found a Silver '85 turbo, Aussie delivered with only 18,000 k's from a prestige dealer in SA in 1999.

It doesn't have Fuchs in the photo .....

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the 2nd Bamboo Beige car or not but mine is a 81 Coupe as well. Was sold new from John Newell Porsche is NSW. I think it's had about 5 other owners so far. It has 320k on the speedo and I believe the motor has not been touched. So far so good. I was curious as to know if there were other bamboo cars around so I'm glad to have stumbled onto the thread as I've only just joined the PFA.

post-2200-0-00542200-1428317303_thumb.jp

post-2200-0-97471800-1428317315_thumb.jp

I can't believe it! Iv'e been wondering if this car is still alive ....

There were only 2 Bamboo Coupes delivered here ...

Is the paint code plate still in the doorjamb? I would be interested in what number is stamped on it ....

I can have a look tomorrow and get back to you. I had Spencer Harrison do all the checking prior to purchase and he said it was delivered as is(colour that is). It's non sunroof as well.

So ..... so far I have found a Silver '85 turbo, Aussie delivered with only 18,000 k's from a prestige dealer in SA in 1999.

It doesn't have Fuchs in the photo .....

not mine - I have receipts going back to 1997 and it was still in Melbourne. In 99, it belonged to a Mr James Hatzi and had 105,000kms.

Amazing that in the following 16 years my car did only 30,000kms! The one you found clearly had a bit of a 'precious' start in life :)

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the 2nd Bamboo Beige car or not but mine is a 81 Coupe as well. Was sold new from John Newell Porsche is NSW. I think it's had about 5 other owners so far. It has 320k on the speedo and I believe the motor has not been touched. So far so good. I was curious as to know if there were other bamboo cars around so I'm glad to have stumbled onto the thread as I've only just joined the PFA.

If that is a Bamboo car, it is one of only 2 x 911's delivered here in 1981 . There weren't any delivered here in 1982 nor were there any targa's either

The colour was only made in 1981 and 1982 and is not very common worldwide.

If you do a google search for "bamboo 911" there are very few results compared to other coloured searches ....

Unfortunately, a previous owner decided to paint mine Guards Red so it looks like yours is the only one in the country ..... at the moment ...

If that is a Bamboo car, it is one of only 2 x 911's delivered here in 1981 . There weren't any delivered here in 1982 nor were there any targa's either

The colour was only made in 1981 and 1982 and is not very common worldwide.

If you do a google search for "bamboo 911" there are very few results compared to other coloured searches ....

Unfortunately, a previous owner decided to paint mine Guards Red so it looks like yours is the only one in the country ..... at the moment ...

we can call you guys B1 and B2..:)

61D466A4-30FE-432F-9621-99A6A02B6844_zps

Archived