Typical Porsche Driver?

Dusty

A while back, someone said "I'm not a typical Porsche driver" which got me thinking, what does a typical Porsche driver even look like? 

The old stereotype has always been:

midlife-crisis---sports-car.jpg

But I reckon with the likes of Magnus, Webber and a heap of other gen-Xers, this stereo type is slowly changing.

Is it? Could this be another reason for the rise in value because it's not so much of a cliche to own a Porsche any more? Or am I just dribbling? ...again  

Gen-Xers are right on schedule for their mid-life crisis.

Is the stereotype changing? Not if you ask my friends and family! Absolutely, if you ask me. It's not a mid life crisis, it's ummm...it's...hmmm

A real midlife crisis is reaching an age where you realise you've been abandoning life goals by the dozen because you've run out of energy to keep achieving them. This is typified by depression and pessimistic outlook.

I have never seen how purchasing a sports car - something many people make as a silent promise to themselves - is having a crisis.

People who have abandoned goals often bristle when they see others achieving theirs. That's what making jokes about Porsches is all about.

Personally I don't care what joe public thinks of any car I drive. I reserve my pity for those piloting fast depreciating cheaply made junk because they like the new car smell and don't understand how cheap financing is actually done.

I'm only 37 and on my 3rd already  :blink:

Forgive me for not articulating it properly, I was more curious on the make-up of us, PFA'ers. I was hoping to profile us all a bit better to learn if we all fit the old stereotype or like JV911's response, we break the mould a bit in terms of age, profession or habits etc. 

Not sure how you describe this if you care to, by a 'likeness' photo, description of yourself or through the majesty of song.

I'm also mid 30's, but despite being a bit thin up top, don't consider myself to be in a mid-life crisis. I do prefer loafers over sneakers but we're all allowed little indiscretions from time to time aren't we? 

At 42 I think I fall dead on middle aged (thanks for bringing it up), but started when I was 32 with a C2 996tip if that makes me look (feel) any better. Actually the 'tip' is probably not doing me any favours in this respect.

Anyway - just got number 4 and in the very early stages of planning a low production run of 10+ mods, so I think that must make me either a new dad, or very slightly obsessive. Both will be hard work but fun. No crisis going on here

Working in occupational medicine, I deal a lot with blokes and their "midlife crises" :)

If we consider a midlife crisis as a real thing (which it isn't), the classic midlife crisis is typified by a perceived loss of potency. To compensate, you might suddenly head out and buy the fastest, loudest, brightest sports car that takes your fancy.

However, for someone who had posters of a Porsche adorning their walls as a kid; who marvelled at the racing prowess and technological feats of the marque over decades; who scrimped and saved and battled their way to finally afford a well-loved example for the price of a modern family sedan finally at the age of 40; well, that's hardly anything to do with a midlife crisis.

I'm on to my third P-car in 9 years, on the cusp of being 40 - I love them for their lines, the sound, the smell, the ingenuity and marvellous engineering, the nostalgia, the driving feel, the racing pedigree, the struggle for identity/definition/direction.

Getting back to the midlife crises, I think most of us on here are safe.

No mid life crisis here!!! I have wanted a P Car since I was 10....my dad has been a P Car fan forever! I got mine because I had gotten my parental responsibilities out of the way (3 kids through private school) and it was time to get one or regret it forever (my dad never got one!)

No mid life crisis here!!! I have wanted a P Car since I was 10....my dad has been a P Car fan forever! I got mine because I had gotten my parental responsibilities out of the way (3 kids through private school) and it was time to get one or regret it forever (my dad never got one!)

Baby seats in the back of all of mine :) the thought of having to wait until they finished school makes me feel physically ill! You are a patient man ( note the school fee comment - yet to share pain on this, I have a 0 and 2.5 year old).

I have been reliably informed that the 911 back seat is good until they are at least 9, so perfect family car in so many ways

No such thing as a "typical Porsche owner" these days. At least not for cars older than say 10 years. If you go to a few SMTs or other social events, you'll find a broad range of people in age, socio economic background, geographic location etc. The typical Porsche owner is a serious car enthusiast though.

I'm not going to comment on those that own newer Porsches other than I do know they tend not to wave back...

Baby seats in the back of all of mine :) the thought of having to wait until they finished school makes me feel physically ill! You are a patient man ( note the school fee comment - yet to share pain on this, I have a 0 and 2.5 year old).

I have been reliably informed that the 911 back seat is good until they are at least 9, so perfect family car in so many ways

0 (zero) year old?!  :blink:

49 years young (mental age of a 12 year old) No kids, 1 small dog, a nice older house, work a lot as a tradie in the building game (not much lately though)

Took a redundancy from Mitusbishi a few years ago and pissed that up against a wall and played golf for 18 months. Learnt how to do my current job via a mate. Now earn more than I did 10 years ago, yet not flushed with cash, but do ok in the trade and as a weekend muso (shoulda studied harder a skool though!) Bought n sold VW's the past few years coz I get bored with cars pretty quickly, made enough to buy a 912 to restore/preserve.

Been a Porsche fan since I was 10 years old, and always said I'll get one one day.

I've done LOTS in my life with sport and travel, and wouldnt change a thing, and now that I'm nearly 50 and OWN my Porsche, I'm pretty bloody happy.

No mid lifey here!

At 48 I'm definitely at the point of "mid life", however way off any sort of crisis.

Timing for me was all about affordability at this time of my life. Two of my kids were adults and the youngest was 10, so the financial burden of additional school fees had reduced......but I'm sure replaced by something else because at times I still feel like I'm going backwards!!!

If I could change things and buy earlier, I would, so I could have shared some of the experience with my eldest kids.

Oh, and a 993 is good for about 11 years old in the back seat.

Perfect car .."...absolutely!

My C4 also qualifies as the family four wheel drive with 9 year old installed in the back.

Missus has her GTI sports car!

Every one is happy.

Ha so many members with very young kids. Definitely not a 'potency' problem though....maybe ownership is a sign of rude health!

Personally I have more children than Porsche make seats unless you get a cayenne.

I tell ppl its my mid life chrisis car as I figure they are going to think that anyway and really who cares. I decided now was the time, a few years ago, as either it would never happen or I may not be able to fully enjoy it, if I waited till I retire before doing it.

I cop it from my mates, my work mates and it's all good, because at the end of the day, they can say what they like as I drive off in my Porsche ;)

Answering the question though..we can say the typical Porsche driver is a guy from 35-65 who is a car enthusiast who probably has a daily drive of another make and who doesn't really care what people think of his car.....and has an aversion to naff body kits and stupid mods like sitting a car on the bump stops.

Archived