Typical Porsche Driver?

Dusty

50, but I don't think I'll live to be 100, so mid life is a little while ago. When I sold my previous car my wife said don't worry, you can get something else. When she got sick it was a bit of a crisis. I said how about we get that Porsche you've always wanted. Year and a half on and she can't drive it anymore.

One of my work colleagues reckons I need to wear a turtle neck when I drive it.

One of my work colleagues reckons I need to wear a turtle neck when I drive it.

I also get crap from my colleagues but it mainly revolves around "where's your driving gloves you wa&%#$!"

Thought it was a good idea so I went and bought some.

EBONY.jpg

Turbo are you going to attempt to install a capsule in yours or just wait until your new human is big enough for a seat? I'm in almost the exact same boat, a 2.5 year old and another due in a fortnight. 

Turbo are you going to attempt to install a capsule in yours or just wait until your new human is big enough for a seat? I'm in almost the exact same boat, a 2.5 year old and another due in a fortnight. 

I am pretty sure there will be a family policy against multiple children travelling at one time with daddy. The 'boy' already has a seat in each car. At 1 year old he could point out a Porsche in moving traffic, long before he knew who Thomas the tank engine was.

The girl to be...well lets just see if she even likes P-cars:) 

congrats on the new arrival by the way. I am figuring '2' is when we lose the last bit of freedom we were holding onto.

Has everyone always dreamt of owning a Porsche since they were in the womb like Hugh?

I'll admit I've only been a recent convert over the past few years and my 911 fetish started off as a very slow burn, I really didn't want to like them until I took a drive in a mates Porsche 996.

I kind of loved all cars from about the age of 10. Everything from Torana's to Lambo's. My poster car was a Countach and Brocky in the Mobil VK Group A. 

I still love all cars, and dream of buying many different marques, although i've very much gone off 'Aussie Muscle', largely due to the demographic that support them. 

Why did I buy a Porsche.. Well, it's one of the classic cars i've always loved, particularly the shape of a 911, but most importantly i could afford it. And it provides the best bang for buck as well as reasonable servicing and insurance cost. 

So for someone who grew up on a healthy does of aussie muscle, I'm definitely not what the uninitiated would call a typical owner. Like most have already said, there is no typical Porsche owner. 

My almost 7 year old gets the front seat with the booster seat (lap only in the rear) and mum gets the rear, she doesn't come with us very often anymore..... I'm perplexed as to why?

I am 45 and will never self confess to a mid life crisis, ever!

On my fifth 911 from a 2.7 @ 29 then 84 Aust del 3.2C (should have kept that) then a 74 RSR Rep race car 3.8 on Motec 950kg etc and an 87 speedster rep as a fun road car (3.6 of course) then a hiatus with other interests and now an SC.

Still trying to work out what direction to take with the SC, it may get out of hand if I start to hot rod.

My almost 7 year old gets the front seat with the booster seat (lap only in the rear) and mum gets the rear, she doesn't come with us very often anymore..... I'm perplexed as to why?

I am 45 and will never self confess to a mid life crisis, ever!

On my fifth 911 from a 2.7 @ 29 then 84 Aust del 3.2C (should have kept that) then a 74 RSR Rep race car 3.8 on Motec 950kg etc and an 87 speedster rep as a fun road car (3.6 of course) then a hiatus with other interests and now an SC.

Still trying to work out what direction to take with the SC, it may get out of hand if I start to hot rod.

How on earth does your Mrs fit in the rear seat?!?!? 

How on earth does your Mrs fit in the rear seat?!?!?

My dad & his wife were down last week for the long weekend. Thankfully they only had carry on that was exactly the size of the 964's boot capacity, my stepmum in the front and dad in the back + my 5 yo cause he didn't want to miss out!

My dads not a tall man (thankfully) but he managed to last the 60min run to the airport. The 911's back seats make my old fiat 500 look like a Maybach!

Had my midlife crisis at an early age of 26 and purchased a 79 sc which I had wanted since a teenager.Having owned it for 2 years it had to go back to the toy library as I was getting married and purchasing a house and here I am now nearly 48 still married 2 young boys and a survivor of a double lung transplant Im now back in the market for my next Porsche car. Be fair to say its been a long time between drinks!

Jeebus, a double lung transplant? Youre the 3rd one I've heard about this week alone! Today on a tv game show a bloke had it done

Good onya mate, you obviously deserve another car surviving 2 kids...errr...I mean the transplant!  ;)

Looking at the drivers at the Motorkhana and other SMTs I have been on, I have come to the conclusion there is no typical Porsche driver.  People from all walks of life, suburbs and age groups represented.

I can remember my Dad looking at a XJ6 to buy in one of those wholesale dealers in South Melbourne and me getting yelled at because he couldnt find me - I was up the back in an old 911 having a squiz.  I remember being in love with the exterior but sitting inside thinking 'is this it, is this all there is to a Porsche 911'  I still wanted one tho!  I have no idea now what year it was.  I was about 16 years old. 

I must say I also really wanted a Mustang too!

Archived