The Wine Thread

Due to sever peer group pressure (Edgy) here it is. The wine thread. Post your wine preferences here. Try to keep it to under $40 a bottle so we can all have a test drive. That means no Grange, no Hill of Grace, and no Old Bastard's (google it - Kaesler). Let us know what you accompany your wine with as well. Cheeses & fruits? BBQ or roast meats? Creme Brulee? A Vegemite sandwich? Chocolate?

I don't care about the label, but I do try to stick to certain vintages - the even years seem pretty consistent (2002 - 12) but it generally comes down to 1) price & 2) availabliity. And I only drink Australian wines.

So for mine, I like a nice Shiraz. I find it easy on the palate. Not like Cab Sav's, which make my mouth feel like my foot's gone to sleep. I like the fruitiness and the slightly spicy flavours. Had some rippers lately. Mirrool Creek 2005 was a beauty, as is my current chugger, a 2012 Anderson Hill Shiraz from the Adelaide Hills. I also like the Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna. And the Langmeil wines are very nice. I have to say, the Bird in Hand Nest Egg is pretty damn good, but at the price it is, it's certainly not an everyday wine. However, their Two In The Bush Shiraz is a great everyday wine.

I also don't mind a white once in a while if I'm having nicely prepared seafood or poultry. And if I'm having a good steak, like one of those big King Henry Prime Rib on the bone jobbies, I'l generally open an Adelaide Hills Pinot Noir.

Also partial to a Gramps Botrytis Semmillon. Have a couple of late 90's & early 2000's to get through. But I don't like Port. Or rather, it doesn't like me. It makes me go silly.

Edit: drink responsibly, and don't drink and drive.

smiley-eatdrink016.gif

Good one mate! :D

I reckon my wine problem costs far more than my Porsche one! :lol:

I'm a red junkie, I have love for most of them and a strange obsession with the lesser popular varietels, like Cab Franc  :ph34r:

White's don't go astray either but I'm a very selective drinker on that front, usually Chardonnay! But a good Semmillon with some age is a wonderful thing though ^^ 

Like you I am most enthused by Australian wine, I tend to drink my way around regions rather than winemakers/wineries.

Onto recommendations! 

I recently had good success with this 2006 Nebbiolo (relative to Pinot for the punters) from Tar & Roses Heathcote VIC, gave it s quick breathe in the decanter and enjoyed.  I really like the tannin structure of a good Nebbiolo. I have another to recommend to! 

IMG_6119_zpsh5ecf0cw.jpg

Paired with some smoked beef brisket 

IMG_6115_zpsrxqug2f1.jpg

My issue will be your budget, but like most things of quality, you don't need as much so by the the time you are on to the fourth bottle of your more 'value' selection, you will be about equal on most of these. That said these are all quality aussi wines that I (and many much smarter people) consistently rate as some of the best wines you can drink. But not so much the more obvious ones most would know, so order these and your friends might think you are far more interesting than you really are:

The first is from the Kooyong winery. Try their single vineyard pinots and they also make quality Chardonnays. About $60

E859BB4D-042A-496F-B465-6ED3554AAAE9_zps

The second is The Shiraz Viognier from clonikilla. About $75

EBCC892D-51FE-47DF-A3E8-62341D63814C_zps

The third, my favourite Shiraz, Basket press. About $60 from the cellar door but more by the time it gets to a bottle shop

8D595FE6-9B5F-4A7F-9C37-7CDB10763065_zps

And finally because I also like a quality Chardonnay, Leeuwin estate art series. Don't order from a restaurant unless you are prepared to pay more for a bottle than the cost of the meal for you and your immediate family, but typically about $120 at a Dan murphys. It will however ruin the taste of any other Chardonnay you currently drink so be warned..

64007FF6-B924-4837-A68E-AEC23308CE78_zps

The Art Series is most probably my favourite Aussie Chardonnay T. But $120 seems steep though unless you are getting back vintages?

Leeuwin estate is probably my favourite mainstream Margaret River winemaker, better value than Vasse Felix too IMO and I am comparing Heytesbury to Art series. 

Art Series Cab is up there too.. 

I can blow the $40 bottle budget eyes shut too... but I find it much more fun and channelling to get some good value lower cost wines.

Other than name dropping folks, I'd really like to hear your tasting notes... if you say its good, thats fine but it helps if you tell us why! ;) After all we all have different tastes! :D

My brother in law got me on to using an aerator a while ago.  I've used it a few times, but seriously, I didn't notice much difference, and I also can't be bothered.  Because I'm the only wine drinker in the house I tend to have an opened bottle hidden somewhere most of  the time.  If it starts to taste like shyte I just bin it.  I'm not overly fussy, I'll drink from any region.  Some are more consistently better than others though.  I do favour the Barossa and Coonawarra reds over most others, but I'm starting to broaden my horizons.

Rosemount also had a ripper Show Reserve Shiraz of about 1996 vintage.  It was a special edition export only wine with the square bottom bottle.  We built a machine to decarton these special bottles after the had been box cellered.  They supplied a pallet of this wine for us to do trials, and they couldn't take them back because of hygiene reasons.  Happy dayz for us.  Because we got that machine running so well, & so quickly, I reckon I ended up with about 8 cases. 

I have an open bottle of Rockford Rifle Range Cab Sav. Really nice. I do however prefer a peppery Shiraz. Stew F, ditto on being the only real wine drinker in the house. 

BTW, Murray Street Vineyards... big thumbs up from me. Had a really nice experience out there the other day and there wines were pretty good, also Tscharke wines. 

10432131_10206354167038701_5905883359592

Yes, very easy to blow the $40 mark.  But we can go spending $100 a week on wine can we?  Well I can't anyway. 

I'll start with that 05 Mirrool Creek I've been banging on about.  I don't know where or how I got it, or when, but it had been sitting in my wine rack for quite a number of years.  The other week, when I was looking for a wine to open, I grabbed it, looked at the dusty label and thought, no time like the present.  It was easy to drink.  Dark and fruity, but not sweet - slightly acid like raspberries, and a little spicy, like nutmeg.  I drank it over 4 days.  It was a nice wine and I really enjoyed it.  If I see it in a bottlo I will definitely buy some more.  Coonawarra grown according to the label, but made in the Riverina.  From some brief research on the web it looks like the label may have been dropped from the range.  Price wise, it appears that it was a sub $10 wine.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Current drinker - 2012 Anderson Hill Coby's Delight Cab Sav Merlot (Adelaide Hills).  We went there for our company Christmas lunch.  Nice setting, nice wood oven pizzas, and nice wine.  Though I had to drive the Porsche on a dirt road.  Got the wine as part of a gift basket from the boss & his Mrs.  It was sitting on the dining room table, so it was begging to be opened.  A nice enough wine, pretty smooth.  It took a couple of glasses to grow on me.  Pretty generic cool climate Cab Merlot blend really.  Not much else to say.  I wouldn't rush out and buy another, but if someone gave me one I wouldn't hesitate to drink it.  Not sure of the $$$ value. 

I am about to finish the Benno my little sister and I opened the other night. Unfortunately it is $95 a bottle. So good though. I have the rest of the week off work so I am ok for tomorrow :) if I over indulge just a tad.

so you went to seppeltsfield then? Beautiful place. We went hot air ballooning last year. We were supposed to leave from langmeil but the wind wasn't right. So we went to seppeltsfield and launched from there, on the old oval The Barossa is even more beautiful than you can imagine from a balloon.

Stew, have you tried Hahndorf Hill?

No I haven't been there. Truth be known I haven't been to many cellar doors in the hills. And they're right on my doorstep. Every year we have a wine auction at the footy club. Local wine features predominantly because either the owners are members, or other club members work at them. I usually end up with at least a dozen to take home.

My old man had an 80th birthday recently. I threw a surprise party for him, and because I'm a cheap bastard, I waited until he was out and went and raided his 'cellar' (reality, under the steps) for some old wines he has had there for aeons. I was also looking for an old bottle of chivas regal but the crafty old bugger had moved it (back to that one another day).

Anyway, we opened them (and I forget the labels but some went back to the 90's) and every single bottle was corked and cooked. The stuff was majorly crook. It's lucky we had fresh reserves.

Moral of the story : unless you have a proper cellar just drink it.

My old man had an 80th birthday recently. I threw a surprise party for him, and because I'm a cheap bastard, I waited until he was out and went and raided his 'cellar' (reality, under the steps) for some old wines he has had there for aeons. I was also looking for an old bottle of chivas regal but the crafty old bugger had moved it (back to that one another day).

Anyway, we opened them (and I forget the labels but some went back to the 90's) and every single bottle was corked and cooked. The stuff was majorly crook. It's lucky we had fresh reserves.

Moral of the story : unless you have a proper cellar just drink it.

Gold. I did that for my wife's birthday once coz I forgot to get her a pressie. Jewelry. She busted me while I was wrapping it up.

Cant beat Willow Bridge G1:10 for a quality Chardonnay, Ferguson Valley WA.

Sentimental value also, winemaker one of my best mates who drowned in a windsurfing accident a few weeks ago at Margaret River, this along with Black Dog Shiraz will be a big part of my collection for a long time.

More of a region post than a varietel one.

Orange NSW:

Rowlee - Nebbiolo 2013

Price: $35.00~ 

Buy from:  http://www.rowleewines.com.au/Store/ProdID/3/Rowlee_Nebbiolo

This took me by surprise and was plonked on my table recently at a mates restaurant after requesting something pinot-ish, lovely fruit & mild spice balance, light to mild body but the most interesting thing I found with it is the mouth feel you get from the acidity, its incredible in that aspect. I think it would be good with some age on it too. 

IMG_5736_zpsenfaojg2.jpg

Printhie -  Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

Price: $18.99 

Buy from: https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_917562/printhie-mountain-range-cabernet-sauvignon?CAWELAID=857474260&catargetid=620010050000557283&cadevice=c&gclid=CJ3TiLzd9MQCFRFvvAod-h8AsQ

I was really impressed with this one, decanted for a few hours and enjoyed. This has nice ripe plum & dark berries with a pleasant cool climate spice, not overly complex and reasonable length on it, very easy to drink.

Undervalued IMO and I'm going to go and stock up actually before it runs out. 

IMG_6116_zps3ivsqebj.jpg