The Wine Thread

Has anyone tried any of these?

James Laurence `Hand Selected Church Block` Shiraz 2012 (NSW ??) Hellfire Bay Shiraz 2012 (WA ) Redstone Ridge Shiraz 2012 (NSW Hunter)

Nope. 

Hunter is SO hit n miss it isn't funny... :lol: 

If you're to go to the Hunter region for Shiraz look at Meerea Park and Mc Williams Mount Pleasant. I think those two winemakers offer the best value of the ones I have tried in the region. 

Hell hole Shiraz from Meerea park is the one you want and Old Paddock/Old Hill from Mc Williams. 

But you know I am going to say your money is much better spent on SA wine. :lol: 

Nope. 

Hunter is SO hit n miss it isn't funny... :lol:

If you're to go to the Hunter region for Shiraz look at Meerea Park and Mc Williams Mount Pleasant. I think those two winemakers offer the best value of the ones I have tried in the region. 

Hell hole Shiraz from Meerea park is the one you want and Old Paddock/Old Hill from Mc Williams. 

But you know I am going to say your money is much better spent on SA wine. :lol:

I've just been browsing the online wine auctions.   Notice a few that looked interesting.  And a few not so interesting.

Yes, you generally can't go wrong with SA wines.

Watch threads, wine threads and Porsches. And we wonder why they call us #*%€?! 's.

I am super Cabernet Sauvignon man (which like vintage watch wearing, air cooled Porsche sympathisers is a very narrow demographic and shrinking by the week). So I will pitch my starting bid with Woodlands Margaret from Margaret River in WA. It is at the top range of your $40 limit but sublime and will smoke most $100 cabs. Generally Margaret River cabs from 2009-2013 have been exceptional and almost unheard of by the general Australian Shiraz drinking public (thank goodness).

For the red meat and big Shiraz brigade, pile into Kemneys Hidden Label McLaren Vale 2012. Badged up as a "house cleanskin" it is actually Gemtree Obsidian which is their top wine selling for $70 at cellar door. Fill the boot at $20 at Kemneys in Bondi Junction. Superb value.

For every night quaffing and wine that won't send you broke when you wife starts dishing it up to the neighbours and putting it in the bolognese, the Ben Riggs creation 'Three Brothers Reunited' has been inflation proof at $9.99 at Nicks wine for 6-7 years. Best value red in Australia by a long way and in a show of integrity they didn't make any in the rubbish 2011 vintage. It's not Grange but it is great every day wine that can hold its own against the $25 brigade.

At the risk of triggering the wrath of SIMONOZ, IMHO Australian Chardonnay is very expensive for great Chardonnay (like the fantastic Lewuin Estate Art Series Chardonnay already recommended above). Do yourself a favour and if you are a Chardonnay lover get down to David Jones and grab a bottle of Kumeu River Estate Chardonnay. It's from New Zealand who are serial overachievers with Chardonnay and exceptional value compared to our local equivalents at circa $29. Brachovich is one of the greatest Chardonnay winemakers going around.

As for food, that shot of seared brisket in a prior post made me slobber a little. Yes a big slab of 2" steak on the grill nicely caramelised = giddy up. Followed by baguette, talagio cheese and truffle honey.

I think this post has just aged me 20 years. If I keep this up I will need to get a tweed jacket with the leather arm patches and a pipe!

I think this post has just aged me 20 years. If I keep this up I will need to get a tweed jacket with the leather arm patches and a pipe!

And a pair of driving gloves.

The other night I picked up a Hardy's Tintara 2012 Shiraz and a Jacob's Creek 2012 Double Barrel Shiraz for $40 the pair. Will try the double barrel first.

As for food, that shot of seared brisket in a prior post made me slobber a little. Yes a big slab of 2" steak on the grill nicely caramelised = giddy up. Followed by baguette, talagio cheese and truffle honey.

How is this for food n wine combo? I dragged this bottle of Magill Estate with me all the way to South Carolina and we smoked these beef ribs, which were just money! :)

image_zpsuhel4fmi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As I contemplate selling or not and just my life in general ... I'm enjoying this 2010 Turkey Flat Grenache.

image_zpsfdsdux8v.jpg

At $22~ a bottle this is severely undervalued if you like Grenache! I bought one my local dan murphys out of stock :D

I suspect we'll get a post from Turbo T tonight too after his day in the 964! :lol:

Now, now Tazzieman! I know that is BS! You lot have the likes of Joseph Chromy....we have absolute rubbish here in NSW by comparison! :lol:

Daughter of Targa legend and ex Porsche dealer now full time vigneron

Heemskerk vineyard started by father of a best friend. Everyone in Tas is related , as you all know.

Shameless promotion 

I just finished a bottle of Rymill The Dark Horse 2013 Cab Sav. It's a typical Cabernet. Rich colour, a hint of plums and cinnamon, and not too lingering on the palate. From the Coonawarra region.

Coonawarra apparently has several meanings, but the one that relates to the wine region is honeysuckle.

A while back I bought some Arrogant Frog due to the amusing name and label to take to a friend's place. Also, cheap.  Turns out to be a very nice wine! I'm thinking it'll turn into the next Church Block (aka start out at $9 a bottle and end up in the $30-$40 rack).

Thanks for the offer chaps , but you know I only drink expensive wine ;  wouldn't want anyone to catch me imbibing the wine equivalent of a Porsche 924. By all means try it yourself and bring one down when you next visit Hobart. I'll dig around and see if the local Woolies has any red on special and we can compare headaches  :)

Thanks for the offer chaps , but you know I only drink expensive wine ;  wouldn't want anyone to catch me imbibing the wine equivalent of a Porsche 924. By all means try it yourself and bring one down when you next visit Hobart. I'll dig around and see if the local Woolies has any red on special and we can compare headaches  :)

Ha tazzieman tazzieman By that answer i do not know if you are a smartarse or just a prick