Porsche Museum

SteveT

Looking for advice on visiting the Porsche Museum. I am going to be in the area in July and want to know from people who have been to the Porsche Museum how long I need to set aside to give the place a good look over. Any other tips on accomodation etc in the area or travel by public transport or otherwise would also be appreciated.

Steve, the last time I went (July 2013) I took a hotel in the center of Stuttgart. Note - Stuttgart in July can be surprisingly humid even though temp may be 25 degrees and many hotels don't have air-con so check. Food and accommodation is reasonable but all very German. Its a nice enough city but nothing remarkable to see outside of Porsche and Merc. 

You could easily spend 4 - 6 hours (or more), I did both the Porsche and Mercedes museum in one day. I took a train out to Porsche, its in the burbs and a short and easy train ride from the center of town, was at the place when it opened. Mercedes museum and factory is across town but also an easy train ride, cheap, fast and efficient. BTW Porsche has its own railway station :-)

Specific to Porsche make sure you try and do a factory tour, needs to be booked in advance (maybe too late for July), but try anyhow. You could do the tour in the morning (takes around 2 hours you meet at the museum) and then the museum the rest of the day. BTW no booking needed for the museum just the tour. Go to the museum website for tour booking, my advice is to call (49 711 91120911) you may have better luck - the guy who manages the tour is Christian, ask for him by name it may help your cause. If you are a member of the Porsche club it also may help and take your ID with you, I got free entry at the time to the museum and I got a discount in the giftshop - not sure if it still applies. 

The museum has a really nice and cool gift shop (and cafe), the gift shop has a lot of stuff. Also the companies key dealership is opposite, go and drool at the cars and sob at how cheap the used ones are. Also, the dealership has a great gift shop if you want to buy any Porsche Design stuff (or car parts...)

Dave

btw - the key station is Stuttgart HBF, I got a hotel on Lautenschlagerstraße, plenty of hotels, restaurants, beer halls etc in that area and less than  5 minutes from the train station - will see if I can find the hotel invoice

Moderators - Maybe we should think about a permanent topic for Porsche Museum/Porsche factory Tours ? We could collectively pool knowledge and experiences I have a bunch of photos etc

Dave 

I went in June 2009 (geez that long ago!) and did the Porsche and Mercedes in the same day too.

As Dave said transport is easy. I found Stuttgart to be a great place and nice friendly people.

Could easily have spent more time in both museums, but time only allowed one day.

Hey Steve,

Here's some other info

My advice - set aside as much time as you can spare. I spent 6 hours just in the museum. Even had to drag Rita out of the joint and she's 'not that in to Porsches'.

You'll love it mate.

In case you consider hiring a car while there, I found free parking on the street right around the corner, easy 200m walk back to the museum - I was there in November 2013, probably a bit quieter, starting to get quite cool. We spent about 2 hours scooting through so we could zip over to mercedes before they closed. Id agree you could easily while away a few hours ogling and reading history of cars, getting photos etc. Some really cool stuff being restored in the workshop which is in the same building - you can look in through windows in cafe/gift shop.

Must go back...,

Was lucky enough to get a guided tour through the museum last month.

I had goosebumps from the moment I walked in and was like a kid in a lolly shop.

Only spent an hour and a half as I one of our suppliers had arranged it as part of a scheduled day. No where near long enough. 3-4 hours would be great.

Don't discount the Mercedes museum if you have time. Another great opportunity whilst you are in Stuttgart.

If you try the Mercedes factory tour, they will only let you on the tour in a language you speak for safety reasons. They don't always do English tours.

Both museums are awesome.

Moderators - Maybe we should think about a permanent topic for Porsche Museum/Porsche factory Tours ? We could collectively pool knowledge and experiences I have a bunch of photos etc

Dave

Good idea!

I took over 400 photos when I was there.... :ph34r:

I stayed at the Abalon Hotel, which for the money was quite good. One downside was that the "red light" district was between it and the Königstraße (large outdoor eating/ shopping mall), all good and no problems though :)

I really liked Stuttgart one of my favourite German cities

Archived