Porsche's in the Park

turboT

Ok - so after the last Cars & Coffee event is has become clear that we need an event that is more personal to us P-car owners. Somewhere when on a monthly/bi-monthly basis we can put faces to avatars, check out each others metalwork and basically expand our relationship beyond the digital world. A lot of discussion about this on the C&C thread, but as per JV911's suggestion, I have moved the discussion to a separate 'space' so as we can resolve this pressing issue. Sorry ROW, but right now we are talking Sydney.

It seems the first thing to establish is a suitable location. We have all been to events like this, so i would suggest the basics should be:

1. Accessible to the majority, but none of us mind a drive so we are definitely not thinking just central Sydney

2. Refreshment - it would help if the site already had some form of refreshment/toilet facilities for obvious reasons

3. Parking - this is the issue with the current C&C. A bitch to park and then you are all so spread out their is no chance to really have a P-car focus. This venue need to be somewhere where we can take over and have P-cars lined up next to each other in all their glory

4. A drive - one thing that struck me as a potential deciding factor is accessibility to good driving country. Having now been on several 'Autohaus drives' haveing the option to meat and greet but then having the option to head out for a drive afterwards has its appeal

That's enough from me. lets open it up and see if we can get this going. Any and all thoughts welcome

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, not being biased or anything but but as discussed earlier, the Central Coast seems an ideal location ....

1. short drive from Sydney (with twisty roads to boot)

2. central location for Sydneysiders / Novocastrians

3. can drive to your hearts content afterwards, as some of the best driving roads go to and from here

Would suggest maybe every 2nd / 3rd month as there are plenty of other shows that car owners like to go to and if other wives are anything like mine, I couldn't get in so much Porsche time to go to this one every month as well as other events.

Location won't be a problem as plenty of them ....

Quarterly sounds good but baby steps; let's get one locked in first :)

Considerations:

Calendar - When?? We need to consider what other events are on at the time both Porsche and venue related.

Coffee cart – I’ve asked a few people if they could cater.

Flyer - Any graphics/marketing gurus amongst us?

Social media - Is anyone handy with facebook to make a page to spread the word?

Meeting points and time for those travelling from Sydney and Newcastle. 

Location - I'm not familiar with the central coast, any suggestions? 

I had a poke around on google maps and the oval at the end of Melbourne Ave in Umina looks like it might be ideal - parking for 90 display cars plus another 50 or so general.

Does anyone local know if this is public space or owned by the club and would it need approval by the council or club respectively?

image001-1.png

Hi Guys,

I 'll put my hand up for the below - it's my day job, so can do no problem.

Flyer - Any graphics/marketing gurus amongst us?

Social media - Is anyone handy with facebook to make a page to spread the word?

How about Newington Armory , Jamieson Street NSW? Near Silverwater Jail.  (where Porsche Concourse is usually held), there may be a fee though to rent it out for the day. More than happy to ask about pricing/ catering. Heaps of parking on the grass.

How about Newington Armory , Jamieson Street NSW? Near Silverwater Jail.  (where Porsche Concourse is usually held), there may be a fee though to rent it out for the day. More than happy to ask about pricing/ catering. Heaps of parking on the grass.

Another ex con in our midst?

I've eliminated the 1st Sunday of each month and any date that conflicts with the PCNSW club calendar. Plus I'm away in the NT in June.

How does 12/7 sound?

I had thought of that but SOPA is not the easiest organisation to deal with - I know from being involved in bike races at both the Armory and around the tennis centre. 

Another ex con in our midst?

No, not quite. Looked on google maps and remembered Porsche Concours being there.

I had thought of that but SOPA is not the easiest organisation to deal with - I know from being involved in bike races at both the Armory and around the tennis centre. 

Fair enough

I've eliminated the 1st Sunday of each month and any date that conflicts with the PCNSW club calendar. Plus I'm away in the NT in June.

How does 12/7 sound?

We are in April! - surely we can arrange a meet before July. So far we have contributions from the Central Coast Chapter and some excons, all quite a distance apart. Can I suggest a happy medium - Brooklyn, just under the Mooney Mooney bridge. It is basically an hour from everyone. Not suggesting this is a permanent venue or anything, just a chance to get a first meet underway and see if we even like each other before we start printing banners and getting a coffee franchise on board. We are then temptingly close to the drive we did with Autohaus the other day so if anyone is interested we can do this again.

Or am I just thinking too small? (happy to be shot down)

No, fair call...after I typed it I did think that July is a long way off. I thought May was a bit soon and June is a write off for me. 

24th or 31st of May perhaps?

The boat ramp at George St Brooklyn has heaps of parking. 

No, fair call...after I typed it I did think that July is a long way off. I thought May was a bit soon and June is a write off for me. 

24th or 31st of May perhaps?

The boat ramp at George St Brooklyn has heaps of parking.

Earlier in May, or even later this month would work - expecting a delivery of a new child at the end of May so would be very unpopular if I missed the Birth because I 'was out in that bloody Porsche again..'

What number of PFA'ers are you anticipating to turn up.

I'm asking because I organise these sort of things with my car club, I doubt that a coffe van vendor would turn up for 10-15 people, at least the one's I've spoken to wont, small numbers, no profit to be made etc,etc.

A meeting place with ample parking near a cafe would be ideal.

Dominic.

What number of PFA'ers are you anticipating to turn up.

I'm asking because I organise these sort of things with my car club, I doubt that a coffe van vendor would turn up for 10-15 people, at least the one's I've spoken to wont, small numbers, no profit to be made etc,etc.

A meeting place with ample parking near a cafe would be ideal.

Dominic.

Early days yet. I would imagine not too many at first but thought we would at least get something started. As per original post i agree having an existing Vendor on site would help

10/5?

3/5 clashes with C&C

What number of PFA'ers are you anticipating to turn up?

Good question - maybe we get a show of hands?

Might be delusions of grandeur but between PFA, pelican, classic register and FB I don't imagine any difficulty getting 50 cars. (70 turned up for the last AH drive)

10/5?

3/5 clashes with C&C

Good question - maybe we get a show of hands?

Might be delusions of grandeur but between PFA, pelican, classic register and FB I don't imagine any difficulty getting 50 cars. (70 turned up for the last AH drive)

10/5 is good for me. You are possibly a little deluded :), but love the enthusiasm.

I'd like throw a spanner in the works.....can we have a new venue/destination each time....heading south's not so bad...through the national park, southern drive along and over the sea cliff bridge, then to the Gong's beachs, heaps of cafe's..etc..great drive. 

Love to drive the car, and cop a early start here and there, 5.30 am for the sydney C&C...but it would be nice to mix it up!!!

I'd like throw a spanner in the works.....can we have a new venue/destination each time....heading south's not so bad...through the national park, southern drive along and over the sea cliff bridge, then to the Gong's beachs, heaps of cafe's..etc..great drive. 

Love to drive the car, and cop a early start here and there, 5.30 am for the sydney C&C...but it would be nice to mix it up!!!

Porsche's in the park(s)

ok

chatting to JV911 this morning and we think we should just get the first meet going. I need to figure out exactly the location but we are going to go with Brooklyn as the first destination. As suggested by 29PeterG travel is always going to be an issue for some so if this first one works I see no issue us moving around the state to capture more of you and explore some different drives.

So - details

Sunday 3rd May

7.30-8am meeting - for those wanting to do for a drive I guess we leave around 9.00-9.30?

Brooklyn - exact location tbc

If its just me and JV I am happy to chat about his car for a couple of hours :), but would be great to see as many members there as possible so as we can build this into a regular event

Archived