Crowd Funding a Build

turboT

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a roll cage in some of my road cars- the bracing and protection is worth it. 60k per event, you'd be thinking of targa Tasmania maybe.. Not normal track events. Even Bathurst historics is less than a tenth of that iirc

Me early minis had half and full roll cages - thought it essential bit of safety kit and mine were 99% road use

I was talking about the entire 1/4 panel and roof.  Yes, Singer use the window frames and the inside panels.  If you were making a targa/cab conversion you'd have to make the window frames as well.

See here in video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQ4hQSusjE?t=1144

The difference with the above is that you would bond to the frame directly.  Or maybe you mold steel tabs into the carbon and then weld those.  I have no idea how it's done, but it's entirely possible and my point about the manufacturers is that they are bonding carbon and steel together as well.

BAM.. crowd fund business idea.

damnit, i've been searching for one of these for a while to do exactly this (reproduce them in carbon and CF)

they connect into the rear demister too

Amanda they all fit

you'll also remember the NZ car I sent you links to last yearish white cab with blk special wishes steel hardtop ... Russ you could have bought the lot for less than 25k

Putting a hardtop roof on a cab car need not add any great structural rigidity but it will add some nonetheless.

If it was a Cab previously then the floorpan/chassis has been reinforced anyway, this is how they are able to maintain rigidity whilst driving without a roof on.

An Early Coupe roof say from a 74 without sunroof only weighs about 10kg, it will lower the centre of gravity to nearly equal that of a cab car, the difference between that and of carbon would hardly be noticeable

wouldn't it?

Any years from between 74 to 89 can be swapped and matched to existing panels easily

A 930 with the 917 based brakes and reinforced floorpan with a hardtop would be tight as a drum and handle

better than a stock 930 coupe would.

My father did similar, he bought a 930 that had been converted to a CAB by a PO, so he got it very very cheap, (cheaper than a 911sc)

he took away the cab part and welded a 1974 roof on the car, as it is without sunroof and the earlier panel being lighter than later ones the centre of gravity was (greatly) increased

Total cost of conversion back to coupe was about $500

Archived