My 918 Spyder

mhh

Silly me sat on 200 in a BMW rental the whole way from the bottom of Austria near Zurich up to Vienna thinking the black circle with a diagonal line through it meant it was an autobahn...then the Austrians looked at me like I were crazy and tell me no thats only in Germany, our limit is 130!

Whoops!  I really thought i'd get something but never did!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whytar, I'm hoping to give my car a run to France early March if the weather is OK and will be back in June/July for the FOS (and Wimbledon). Both trips will probably be hectic but let's see if we can meet up. I'll be staying in London  March 1-3, and just outside Basingstoke during the FOS if either of those is convenient.

I'll be picking my car up out of storage and driving down to Goodwood on the Saturday, so might be able to arrange a quick catch up then?

Will PM you my mobile number.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back in the UK for a couple of days and hoping to drive down to Geneva for the motor show on the weekend with a mate in his Ferrari. After 5 months in storage, it's good to have it back on the road. We are hooking up with 40 or so Pistonheaders for a breakfast run to Goodwood next weekend.

I'm back in the UK for a couple of days and hoping to drive down to Geneva for the motor show on the weekend with a mate in his Ferrari. After 5 months in storage, it's good to have it back on the road. We are hooking up with 40 or so Pistonheaders for a breakfast run to Goodwood next weekend.

that's a charmed (and fun) life you are living. Added a few more life goals to my list...

Mhh - are you driving to Goodwood this Saturday (12th) by any chance? I'm pulling the 4S out of storage for a run tomorrow near Chichester.

Hey mhh, great day a Goodwood today. Was that you I saw leaving just I was pulling in around 11:30am?

Had the wife along so couldn't get a super early start unfortunately. Saw a 918 setting some amazing pace down the straight.

• 5 months later...

I bought some new plates at a DVLA auction and fitted them while in the UK for the Festival of Speed. Now showing 17,000km. 

image.jpeg-50186.0.html.jpg

The pic is courtesy of one the many spotters in Knightsbridge. :)

• 2 years later...

4 years since I started this thread so I thought I’d give an update. I’ve still got the car which is about to go out of warranty. The odometer now reads 35,000km, which I’ve notched up mostly in fortnight-long bursts of 3-4,000km in the company of other Aussies with cars in Europe or Avis 911s. It’s the highest km 918 of the 50 or so in the UK, and possibly the world. I’ve taken the car to the South of France (3 times) Germany, Switzerland, Austria, northern Italy, Scotland and Ireland. It’s been very reliable with the only significant warranty claim being a new electric motor after I mentioned it sounded noisy. Porsche GB in Reading look after the servicing and do a great job. I’ve only had one major service at 3 years but I’m on my third or fourth set of tyres. The car still looks and feels new with no rattles. It uses almost no oil though it’s probably had an easier life than most. I bought a 991 Turbo S Cabrio to keep the miles off the 918 but that hasn’t stopped me piling them on. I can’t think of a suitable replacement so I’ll hold it for now. This is probably unwise out of warranty but what the hell.  Pics are from Grossglockner in Austria, Verdon Gorge in France and lock-up near Heathrow.

B578725E-A225-4EA7-A5D7-4E4F94906B9D.jpeg

CC2D5B6E-6916-4DFD-9FD8-C6536BF9BF27.jpeg

IMG_8834.JPG

2 hours ago, mhh said:

4 years since I started this thread so I thought I’d give an update. I’ve still got the car which is about to go out of warranty. The odometer now reads 35,000km, which I’ve notched up mostly in fortnight-long bursts of 3-4,000km in the company of other Aussies with cars in Europe or Avis 911s. It’s the highest km 918 of the 50 or so in the UK, and possible the world. I’ve taken the car to the South of France (3 times) Germany, Switzerland, Austria, northern Italy, Scotland and Ireland. It’s been very reliable with the only significant warranty claim being a new electric motor after I mentioned it sounded noisy. Porsche GB in Reading look after the servicing and do s great job. I’ve only had one major service at 3 years but I’m on my third or fourth set of tyres. The car still looks and feels new with no rattles. It uses almost no oil though it’s probably had an easier life than most. I bought a 991 Turbo S Cabrio to keep the miles off the 918 but that hasn’t stopped me piling them on. I can’t think of a suitable replacement so I’ll hold it for now. This is probably unwise out of warranty but what the hell. 

can't you just buy an extended warranty? 

I love hearing that you have actually driven the car. So many of these still have delivery kms, which completely defeats the purpose (and they probably have much higher maintenance bills).

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I love hearing that you have actually driven the car. So many of these still have delivery kms, which completely defeats the purpose (and they probably have much higher maintenance bills).

Mr MHH also drives the shit out of his 911R too. I was fortunate to get a couple of laps at The Bend with him. I still owe you a coffee too Mark 😁

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

Mr MHH also drives the shit out of his 911R too. I was fortunate to get a couple of laps at The Bend with him. I still owe you a coffee too Mark 😁

We should do that again one day. 😀

Archived