Unenthusiastic owner

May I suggest even older Porsches? None of my 4 have broken down or failed to proceed when asked.

Maybe you have a knack for buying Le Mons cars?

To be fair I never had the 964 properly serviced when I bought it. Trusted the owner a bit too much, but Autohaus confirmed today the car has been in storage unused for a couple of years. My 930 was the same - 5 years in a collection.

I have confidence autohaus will bring back to life and all will be back on the road soon

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair I never had the 964 properly serviced when I bought it. Trusted the owner a bit too much, but Autohaus confirmed today the car has been in storage unused for a couple of years. My 930 was the same - 5 years in a collection.

I have confidence autohaus will bring back to life and all will be back on the road soon

When all else fails , an umbrella and busfare in the pocket will get you safely back home  :D

But it's good for other old car newbies to know an inconvenient truth - that pristine collector cars cost as much to keep in storage as they do to drive them as nature intended .

Well, I have to say I understand where you're coming from, these older cars have a way of testing one's trust..........mind you I have tomsaynimwouldnt mind having the 997 as the third option !!

I have a perfectly good 997 sitting in the garage and why am I wasting my time with this old shit!

Beep if you have shared my pain

Meep meep!

Maaaaybe coz you got sucked in to the aircooled hype by listening to all the people that only have aircooled cars that they bought cheap years ago and couldn't afford to re-buy them at todays prices (or a 997TT) telling the world how good aircooled cars are...? :unsure:

Ps. I want one too!

Won't call you wanker as you tootle down to your fave long mac speek eezy - but will say gumby

Strap on this baby...27 speed manual active suspension useless carbon accents over inflated retail and massive depreciation guaranteed... Be one of the canny and buy now ... Surely can't go lower

image_27.jpg

Trouble is, self rarely takes note :(

Any car can fail to proceed.

Earlier cars (up to the introduction of early '80s electronics) can generally be made to proceed using basic tools, a few critical spares, wire and duct tape - assuming a modicum of mechanical/electrical nous.  Unless something critical completely fails, I can be pretty sure to get my SC going, or at least diagnose the problem with a reasonable degree of certainty.

Cars made from the early '80s for the next 10-15 yrs are old enough that a lot of things are likely to fail but are often too complex to be fixable roadside.  Again though, if you carry spares for parts that are known to fail (e.g. relays etc.) you maybe have a chance.  Cross fingers, I've never had my S4 fail in 17 years of ownership, but it gives me the heebee jeebies just thinking about it.

Modern cars are less likely to fail - but if they do, unless it's something really simple, you're hosed.  A 35yr old 996 would be a huge worry IMHO...

Can't find any pics of my 914/6 GT on my laptop ATM - but found something hilarious.

My first Porsche - a 1981 SC.  Photo taken in Texas about 1983.  Memories...

Sorry for thread hijack :(

post-1360-0-15436200-1431476947_thumb.jp

Can't find any pics of my 914/6 GT on my laptop ATM - but found something hilarious.

My first Porsche - a 1981 SC.  Photo taken in Texas about 1983.  Memories...

no problem

do you keep all of your spare components in that front pocket?

My first Porsche - a 1981 SC. Photo taken in Texas about 1983. Memories...

Hey bumble if it wasn't for the sunroof I would swear you were a PO of my car!

fair call

The role of a 930 is to actively try and kill/maim it's owner. This is well documented and I believe in the original german language owners manuals. Thus one must not blame a car for trying to fulfil its destiny!

The role of a 930 is to actively try and kill/maim it's owner. This is well documented and I believe in the original german language owners manuals. Thus one must not blame a car for trying to fulfil its destiny!

must try harder next time

Archived