Unenthusiastic owner

Okay, at the risk of getting off topic - LOVE these Sydney terraces, especially with some thoughtful gentrification. Hard to find ones that aren't a mish-mash of a layout, but from the degree of gutting going on here, I'm guessing yours will be something special.

Looks incredibly wide - enough for a good garage at the back!

A little more than thoughtful gentrification :) 2 year project, 6 months to go. Back at council at the moment to try and get a stacker involved in the final outcome. Interiors are still a work in progress (that's my job) but construction is well underway. Can't wait

FIN15_zps4gowxmw3.jpg

FIN13_zpsy03ileww.jpg

3CB4F9DA-0884-4D5D-AED5-62758B5C5A30_zps

F5F83279-3018-479E-8045-46DF3D0721FF_zps

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little more than thoughtful gentrification :) 2 year project, 6 months to go. Back at council at the moment to try and get a stacker involved in the final outcome. Interiors are still a work in progress (that's my job) but construction is well underway. Can't wait

Good grief, I just picked my jaw up off the floor - amazing.

Geezze, Turbo that looks like something out of a James Bond movie (there might be someting to them bags on the veranda Tazzie)   :D  Great Build   

Does the council stop you from removing those widow maker gum trees? 

Bloody unstable eucalypt weeds.  Don't keep one within a trunks length of your living quarters.  You've got two just waiting to smash that whole thing down.

Just ask my brother.  He copped a gum tree right through the middle of the house in the storm at the Gap a few years ago.  6 months of a house wrapped in plastic and a ruddy great hole in his bathroom.

Proud to say no trees with a trunk thicker than my arm left on my property.  I did leave one palm tree but apparently it died of shock at watching all its siblings being mutilated and dragged out to be chipped in full view.  

Does the council stop you from removing those widow maker gum trees? 

Bloody unstable eucalypt weeds.  Don't keep one within a trunks length of your living quarters.  You've got two just waiting to smash that whole thing down.

Just ask my brother.  He copped a gum tree right through the middle of the house in the storm at the Gap a few years ago.  6 months of a house wrapped in plastic and a ruddy great hole in his bathroom.

Proud to say no trees with a trunk thicker than my arm left on my property.  I did leave one palm tree but apparently it died of shock at watching all its siblings being mutilated and dragged out to be chipped in full view.  

yep - we tried and failed to get rid of them. Previous owner planted them 40 years ago and now we are lumped with them. As soon as the house is up I will be going back to council to point out how ridiculous/dangerous they are

Trees are mighty expensive to remove. OH&S shenanigans , and the crew required , and permissions from council in consultation with koala cuddle groups. You might need to check your insurance policy because there do seem to be some weather events in the subtropics, and they like to mitigate risk.

Fortunately I've got a big chainsaw , an old Land Rover and no near neighbours. And a lifetime's supply of firewood!

Last I enquire and it was a few years ago, the fine was $300 per tree should the correct permission not be sort and you get caught.

Gone are the days of sweeping up leaves and cleaning the gutters every other month.

yep - we tried and failed to get rid of them. Previous owner planted them 40 years ago and now we are lumped with them. As soon as the house is up I will be going back to council to point out how ridiculous/dangerous they are

I would be finding an arborist who will say it has rot or something but that is not only an eyesore, it's a massive property/personal risk that big, that close to the house.  I shudder to think how big the branches are on it, and how much it is messing with the fence.  You might also go the insurance assessor route - someone who will indicate how much risk they involve.

There's a big house near me, 3 stories (and big ones).  There was 4 or 5 massive norfolk island pines along the boundary.  These also blocked the view from the newly built house.

The owner 'accidentally' damaged the root system while the new fence was built, so he cut them down.  Council came in very upset, and fined him $20k.  I think he cut them a check and asked for a receipt and slammed the door.  I bet he spent more than that on dunnies for the joint.

The fricken country is one giant eucalyptus weed patch from cape york to the tasman peninsula.  The mongrel things block gutters, drop branches, fall over in storms and catch fire on a good day just with a particularly spicy fart from a passer-by.  Yet you have regressive tree loving idiots forcing people to keep the death traps in Surry Hills.

Worlds gone mad.

I love trees.  Shade, fresh air, habitat, variety - truly wonderful things.  They also give us timber to make beautiful things with.

There's just no need to keep a widow maker near your house.

What I really don't like is stupid, stupid, stupid regulations that benefit nobody.

Archived