Japanese imports - anyone ever done it?

these are your go to guys.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iron-Chef-Imports/109130862489495

oodles of experience importing jap cars from Japan (including Porsche). They also have a UK branch known as Iron Lady Imports which does a bit more of the Porsche stuff. Worth contacting them if you are serious. They know all the ins and outs of the game.

"Gettin' the pimpest, flyest, phattest, dope-assed rides worldwide since 1999. "

Do they take working kidneys as a trade?

They play around a bit with their marketing but when push comes to shove, they have it worked out. We have imported a number of cars through them and never had an issue. The owner is always kept up to date with the ever changing legislation and writes regular online articles about what's currently in and out from a legislative stand point. They also have people on the ground in Japan and the UK to eliminate the guess work.

Only speaking as a happy customer

these are your go to guys.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iron-Chef-Imports/109130862489495

oodles of experience importing jap cars from Japan (including Porsche). They also have a UK branch known as Iron Lady Imports which does a bit more of the Porsche stuff. Worth contacting them if you are serious. They know all the ins and outs of the game.

While we're on the subject of expensive stuff, this popped up for sale through contacts in Europe - LaFerrari with 1450km on it. Price is 2.35m...that in Euros, not Aussie dollars. The tax bill to bring it in would give most people nightmares, but it's available if you're interested...

11227034_813321438737097_113827961317786

I didn't know this was still under consideration....interesting. It will only ever get up if there is bipartisan support though, no government will take on a fight for it.

I love this from that article:

Today’s announcement has drawn the ire of domestic factory importers such as Mercedes-Benz Australia, as well as a “bewildered” Australian automotive peak body, the FCAI, which is furious about what it labels a “simplistic” and “misguided” move.

But even so, Australia’s biggest premium car seller Mercedes-Benz argues that even the cost of premium cars imported here would be little cheaper — if at all — by the time they had drawn the luxury car tax and the vehicle had passed through the various steep importation and transport charges.

The pigs with their snout furthest in the trough squeal the loudest when it is taken away!

MB is treating it's customers like idiots who can't use a calculator. Various steep importation and transport charges cost up to $100,000 ? Funny, because LA is just as far away from Germany as we are, and yet they seem to avoid these transport charges.

What MB is saying is true, it's just that the 'steep importation and transport charges' are charged by MB Germany to MB Australia.

“The industry is not ‘fearmongering’ when it says Australians who personally import a vehicle made for another country may end up with a vehicle that does not meet their needs or operate as required in Australian driving conditions.

“Vehicles made for the Australian market are engineered for Australian conditions and safety specifications, so they will cope with the Australian climate, roads and lifestyle.

Funny how my fully imported, not for Australian conditions Porsche and fully imported, not for Australian conditions BmW cope just fine with Australian conditions....it's almost like they were.....built for a global market to begin with! Any car that can be sold in the USA has to put up with arctic conditions for the northeast and dry desert conditions for the southwest, stinking humidity for the southeast and endless rainfall in the northwest. More climatic, altitude and terrain differences than the entire continent for Australia.

Does anyone know which minsters etc are pushing this? Probably wouldn't hurt to send an encouragement email. And to whoever the equivalent is in the opposition. If we could get both on side with support then it will go through.

They play around a bit with their marketing but when push comes to shove, they have it worked out. We have imported a number of cars through them and never had an issue. The owner is always kept up to date with the ever changing legislation and writes regular online articles about what's currently in and out from a legislative stand point. They also have people on the ground in Japan and the UK to eliminate the guess work.

Only speaking as a happy customer

Although I have not used them, I recently talked to Iron Chef about importing.. very helpful! LOTS of recommendations for them going around

I know the rules guys. But someone is getting them in because I know of at least 3 964 Japanese imports. All registered and all driving around.

just trying to find out how they got here

Most likely imported under the 15 year rule which was in play before the pre 89 rule came in about 10 years ago... I know of a number of 964 cars that came in under this rule (15 year rule)

this type of compliance is available for vehicles which were never sold new in Australia.  Hence those weird vans, Skylines, etc etc.

Where do say 200SX Nissans fit into that equation? They were both sold here and imported

I guess I am wondering whether 'friendly' dealers will import for you for a fee?

Might be worth having a chat to a couple of JDM importers to see if they can shed any light 

I think some Silvias got in before the REVS scheme came into effect. A lot of the ones you see will also be aus delivered cars. IIRC they actually still had some Silvia badging on them when sold new - by then Nissan realised they had a following and left the badging on.

The earlier models were never sold here new, only the fatter, later ones were. Imagine actually selling a turbo RWD car in Australia now. They were a strange enough appearance at the time that motoring writers raved about them.

Having said that maybe importers were able to get it classed as a separate model.

The earlier models were never sold here new, only the fatter, later ones were. Imagine actually selling a turbo RWD car in Australia now. They were a strange enough appearance at the time that motoring writers raved about them.

I had an Aussie delivered S15. Exhaust, intercooler, haltech, disco potato. With 240 killer wasps at the wheels it was a blast to drive. 

Archived