FREEDOM (1982)

In the first 15 minutes, you have gratuitous swearing, a Porsche and a hint of nipple......a great way to start any movie!  By 20 mins in, you realise that the young fella at the centre of the movie seems to have an attitude, a chip on his shoulder and dreams a lot - like many Aussie movies.

I'll keep on watching.

In the first 15 minutes, you have gratuitous swearing, a Porsche and a hint of nipple......a great way to start any movie!  By 20 mins in, you realise that the young fella at the centre of the movie seems to have an attitude, a chip on his shoulder and dreams a lot - like many Aussie movies.

I'll keep on watching.

back in the early eighties a working class guy with a love for cars was considered a worthy movie hero.  Comes off the back of mad max, smokey and the bandit etc etc.  sticking it to the man and all that.

Now working class guys with a love for cars are public enemy number one.   A lot can happen in 35 years.

At first I thought this as well Coastr, but I've not really seen a worthy working class hero yet in this movie but I'll keep watching....a little later in the movie from my last post - by the time an hour has passed you've seen him carry on against authority several times, steal a car and money, pick up a hot chick, take her to a secluded pine forest (cue Ivan Milat thoughts), see some hooters and so on.

The movie still has time to redeem itself, but regardless of how it ends, it is clearly an Aussie movie, and so I like it from the start.

Oh yeah I find the guy supremely annoying, he can't work out if he is a criminal or just flirting with the idea.  Good character development would have had a catalyst in act 2 where he changes his demeanour and decides to properly nick the Porsche, rather than just fumbling about and doing it anyway.

You're all missing the point. The lead role is the car.

I'm not 100% sure? Though the first time I saw a 930 was in the early 80s, it was silver and it was in Adelaide. I was about 9 years old? I do remember the exact location.

There is every chance, this was the car I saw. It may be the reason I now own mine.

You're all missing the point. The lead role is the car.

Exactly! And we don't still have "working class" do we? Apart from pollies and CEOs and middle managers and druglords .. ,we all work don't we? Some of us even work on our own Porsches and  thus keep people out of work!

Edited by tazzieman

If the lead role really is the 930 then it sucks as a character as well.

what does it do?  I'm not talking Herbie crap, but where does it help/hinder the lead character?  He never so much as develops the slightest relationship with it.  It's on a pedestal the entire movie. Nothing puts it up there or takes it down.  

Think about hero cars like the supra in Fast and furious.  Starts as a wreck, gets restored, eventually gets given to anti-hero as means of escape.

It would have been more interesting if the guy was into old holdens and sneers at rich people's imported cars, but then this chick takes him for a ride so he decides to nick it.  He then discovers the turbo power as he outdrags the cops and starts to bond.    He realises people treat him different and figures out he can get the girl etc etc.  the 930 goes from being hated symbol of rich to ticket to big time.  

Not hard to do a better job IMO 

Just ate all my popcorn watching the movie.

Going to get some more for this thread.

Kettle salted caramel popcorn is highly recommended! Dangerously addictive ?

not many movies made in the 70's or 80's have weathered time well they all date pretty quickly. Except Le mans

I only watched that for the first time last year. Man that was boring!