FREEDOM (1982)

I watched this last night. Whilst the movie was mostly rubbish I could relate to Ronalds difficulty to obtain meaningful employment as a young fella and not being treated with respect. I was cleaning toilets for 12 months after school, had left home and didn't have a dime to my name in 1995. However I didn't steal an EJ, or a 930 (or anything) for that matter.

Sadly the charismatic star, Jon Blake, was brain damaged in a car accident in 1986 and passed in 2011.

On 05/01/2018 at 10:56 AM, Grinner said:

I watched this last night. Whilst the movie was mostly rubbish

Most movies are. They follow "tried and true" scripts which hark back to stories that have been retold since the dawn of time -  but as with music , there is nothing new under the sun when you sit back and analyse it.

But the movie is right up there with all the other Aussie Porsche movies :P

Nothing wrong with lightweight entertainment. Not a patch on PFA though!

• 1 month later...

I bought my first Porsche from Chateau Moteur when they were filming that movie and if memory serves me correctly the car that went over the cliff was a mockup 930 based on a 911E. I think they used a real 930 for other shots but not sure (mainly the around town shots). I remember the lads at CM talking about it.

It was 37 years ago so my memory ain't what it used to be:D

3legs

• 1 month later...

I watched this film last week and have really enjoyed reading your posts.

I have a copy...not original...but watchable.

I was 12 when this came out, my brother's best mate drew this car and had it on his wall. This movie for some reason fell into my lap while I was trying to rediscover who I am and what I am about. (Longer and more tragic story than the film ?).

Anyone want to show me how a 911 930 feels? Happy to swap film for a ride in one!

Dreema

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, tdc911 said:

Sorry Jason I didn't upload the video, I just found it on youtube

So how did you find it, I have searched with no luck. But I am pretty useless. Just interested as the Alfa GTV he sits in before taking the 930 - I own that car so the movie has a special place for me

lol @ you tube comments

"Thing's were really fkn boring in 1982 as you will notice by watching this film. Want to bore yourself to death? this films for you. No offence to the uploader or those who enjoyed this film, but I'd rather claw my eyeballs out with a razor rather than continue watching any further"

I have the LP (vinyl) soundtrack and anything that Ian Moss has contributed to is worthwhile Aussie fodder :)

3 hours ago, Jason A said:

Oh ? I think it’s a bit of a time warp, I was just staring work in that time period. I think it’s kind of nice to reflect back on a simpler world / life. It’s a bit like the castle.

Maybee it’s just because I am old.

Same here. I was looking forward to watching The Castle last night, but as usual I dozed off after a big day onsite and missed it ?

11 hours ago, Jason A said:

Oh ? I think it’s a bit of a time warp, I was just staring work in that time period. I think it’s kind of nice to reflect back on a simpler world / life. 

Each day began without the sky falling and overheating and the oceans blowing up and every negative else we are assaulted with each day now.
Plus you could fix a car yourself if it broke down.

Wait. You still can! If it's old,  like us Lee :) Life's not so bad when you can holiday in the past for Free!

Aaaah reflection - 1982

Drive in movies everywhere

Petrol 30 cents / litre

GTHO Falcon $10k

GTS Monaro - most models $4-8K

A9X Torana $6-8K

Beacfront property - $80 - $150K

Porsche was still out of reach, but something to aspire to and drool over.

House on the beach or a 930 Turbo

No kids, lawns to mow, you could drive onto the beach and take your esky out. You could sleep there and have a fire if you wanted.

Those were the days ???

4 hours ago, Jason A said:

Yes that’s me - a grumpy old man. The older I grow ether more I relate to the movie.

Still don’t like fishing thought - ? 

Blood sports are not for everyone!
But Foxtel have a fishing channel to make life easier.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this is still current but you maybe able to rent/buy it here......

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/freedom1982

Here are some links to the making of the movie especially the pushing off the cliff scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCl7qVGdcTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmsnSRoWdUo     Notice in this there is a guard rail next to him but in a later shot there is a different location (no guard rail)

Here's another link to where you could possibly rent or buy. Not sure.

https://www.quickflix.com.au/Catalogue/Movies/Freedom/T46811?catalogueFunction=QuickSearch

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just noticed that the Aussie movie Freedom is now available for free on Prime Video (although I think it has been mentioned before but no harm in reminding people again).

Also they have a lot of great Aussie movies especially old ones and doco's.