1976 Backdate from an Update

Hey Guys,

I would like to first introduce myself, Neil Lewis of Brisbane. Some will know me from Queensland Raceway.

The important stuff... The car!

Purchased October-ish 2014, it is a 1976 911S, flood damaged in 2011. It has sat since then with not a whole lot done. It came to me with a slant nose conversion and 930 turbo rear guards already fitted.

Originally a Japanese delivered vehicle, so its LHD and km/h on the dash. I'm told they order their non-domestic vehicles as LHD as a way to show off or something.
It has a 7R cased 2.7 CIS with a 5 speed 915 box. Still haven't investigated whether it is LSD or not. Undecided on the engine route, figure I'd get it to a reasonable state then look into it more.

This is how it looked after a bath once collected -

Porsche-2.jpg

Porsche-1.jpg

Interior-1-1.jpg

Not real nice.

Slant nose isn't really to my taste and seen as the car was already a bit of a mix of parts I don't feel bad in making it what I want/like. It is getting backdated to be somewhat of a ST tribute, maybe more RSR.

I bought the back date panels, courtesy of Mike Tankard.

ST-1.jpg

ST-2.jpg

ST-3.jpg

The car is surprisingly relatively rust free. There was one hole in the lhr passenger seat base, another in the lhf structure above the wheel (under the front wing) and one bubble in the roof. The front suspension pan has required replacement.

3.0%20-%20Rust%20Repairs%2013.jpg

3.0%20-%20Rust%20Repairs%2012.jpg

20150208_183434.jpg

3.0%20-%20Rust%20Repairs%2021.jpg

Rust done, move onto the stuff that makes a visual difference.

Nose-1.jpg

Nose-5.jpg

Nose-6.jpg

Nose-7.jpg

20150522_175751.jpg

20150531_171831.jpg

20150603_152347.jpg

20150605_173736.jpg

Also have turbo tie rods, lifted the steering rack and a Carrera 20mm front sway bar.

Due to arrive next week are rebel racing bushings -

RSR-front-bushing-set-005.jpg

misc2-050.jpg

Sorry for the long first post. But that's my progress thus far. I will try and keep this up to date. Any comments and/or advice most welcome!

The bonnet I have is long outer skin and short hood inner. No mods needed.

I didn't want to chop it up to much, so that things can be reversed if I ever needed to.

I'll get some pics of it tonight!

As promised, just a little slower than promised...

The outer -

20150607_092541.jpg

The inner -

20150607_092622.jpg

Mike Tankard makes them, so if you decide to do a back date, it makes it substantially easier, and you can go back over if you ever need to.

The one issue you will have with them is the safety catch underneath is exceptionally hard to get to to open the bonnet. I have removed the safety hook, I will be using the rubber pull downs like the cars of the period did, as well as the normal bonnet latch.

Oh and thanks for all the positive comments. Hopefully I can provide a good read as I go.

As promised, just a little slower than promised...

The outer -

20150607_092541.jpg

The inner -

20150607_092622.jpg

Mike Tankard makes them, so if you decide to do a back date, it makes it substantially easier, and you can go back over if you ever need to.

The one issue you will have with them is the safety catch underneath is exceptionally hard to get to to open the bonnet. I have removed the safety hook, I will be using the rubber pull downs like the cars of the period did, as well as the normal bonnet latch.

Oh and thanks for all the positive comments. Hopefully I can provide a good read as I go.

that is awesome. i think MA Shaw does something similar in carbon fibre, but getting them to ship anything to aus..  <_<

good to see it can be done easier!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No date, just want it done properly. Kinda hanging out to drive it, haha. 

I try to make the most of my spare time so it progresses pretty quickly. Having all the right tools and equipment helps out too.