1976 Backdate from an Update

Started cleaning and polishing the windscreens today. Rear is damn near perfect now and so is the front aside from one little bit...

There is a chip in the bottom corner. Now from the dirt marks left from the seal it looks to get completely covered. In every other way the screen is perfect, no stone chips, no scratches no nothing.

22581417472_14d6010f93_o.jpg

22407020590_aac046bdf3_o.jpg

22581423062_1a961f9562_o.jpg

My question is... Would you use it? I am debating with myself, I haven't priced a new one, but I'm sure that because its for a Porsche it wont be cheap.

And I had my good camera out to take some photos of other things, so while it was out I took some better than phone camera shots -

22570467725_bb97f5e4b2_o.jpg

22544487726_18de97b0ea_o.jpg

22569087706_45b65b8c20_o.jpg

22606321611_9d44a80a5a_o.jpg

Idk what cheap is for a windscreen, but mine got cracked at a track day a few weeks back and I got it replaced in three days for what i thought was a reasonable price (cost about the same as the one for my e36).

my guess is it gets expensive for a 964 one with the aerial built in.

with that said yours looks fine!

Edited by clutch-monkey

Kept going with it. Dash is mostly complete. Dash top isn't bolted in yet as it will need to come out to do A pillar trims. But seeing it together adds motivation.

21989381415_c23947b2fc_o.jpg

Door glass is in, rear quarter glass in for motivation also. 

Your car's coming along nicely.  I like that steering wheel, it's a nice change from all the Prototipo's (which I also like)  What model and size is it?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brake calipers are all painted and cleaned up, new seals etc. Fairly pain free process compared to calipers I have done in the past. Sorry, no pictures.

New front discs have been ordered and I am re-making all the brake hard lines, mainly just so its new as there's nothing really wrong with the old ones aside from being dirty.

Have done the measurements required for widening the wheels and will order the new lips shortly.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to show, but things are happening.

Brakes are all sorted, new accel pedal has arrived and wheel barrels on the way.

Also looking like I will have a 3.0 to slot in the back very soon. Going efi using a pair of Triumph Daytona throttle assemblies, Clewitt crank and cam sync and a ecu that's still to be selected.

• 1 month later...

So I sold the old 2.7 motor and found myself a 3.0 motor that has had some work done and hasn't been started since rebuild.

Went to collect the engine and was greeted by this lovely thing as I walked in the door, a baby blue version of what I'll end up with, hopefully.

Porsche-motor-1.jpg

So I loaded the engine in the work van and got it home and onto an engine stand. I am told it was rebuilt for use in a '72 tub, but the owner got interested in his 356 project and the '72 was sold off. The motor was surplus and now mine. Anyway some pictures -

Porsche-motor-5.jpg

Porsche-motor-4.jpg

The motor is a fresh rebuild with the following done - "The motor has been completely stripped to the crankshaft and the crankshaft has been crack-tested and found to be sound. The cylinder heads have been refurbished with new valves, valve springs, seals and valve guides. The cylinders have been checked and honed and the pistons have been ceramic coated. The engine was rebuilt with new gaskets and seals throughout and with new timing chains and ramps. The pistons and cylinders are genuine Porsche Mahle components. The camshafts are 3 litre camshafts but have been re-ground to the later 964 profile to improve output."

This week I start on making the intake side of things, I am using 2 sets of Triumph Daytona 675 throttle bodies and making intake runners. This will be the start of the efi conversion. Also getting Clewitt crank and cam trigger setups. The throttles have a TPS already, I have a idle control module from a previous project, some Audi coil packs are to be acquired and I have a delphi map sensor. ECU will likely be from Link.

So I have been quiet for a while but things are happening. Hopefully buying an already done motor will speed up the build.

Edited by neill

• 3 months later...

Small update -

Practiced some ally welding and welded on the fittings for the oil cooler -

porsche-3_1.jpg

Made the oil lines to mate it to the stock hard lines -

porsche-6.jpg

%7Boption%7DHttp://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/mr_squiggle_1/porsche-6.jpg

Made mounts for the fuel cell, fits inside the bottom half of the old tank. The top half of the old tank was rusted beyond repair and I had this fuel cell from a previous project -

porsche-7.jpg

Also did some tidying on the motor -

porsche-1.jpg

porsche-2.jpg

Seats should arrive this week. All the door/bonnet window seals are in for good. 

I am doubting the choice to go EFI now also, I keep looking at PMO's and thinking stuff it, just buy the kit, get the car on the road. I have a child coming November so it would be nice to have this done for then, I think carbs is the quickest way to achieve this.

Edited by neill

I've got 40mm webers on a 3.0sc engine, with good free flowing exhaust options you wont be disappointed going down the PMO path.

As mentioned they wouldn't be hard to move on later if you changed your mind.

Project looks great!

• 4 weeks later...

Will most likely be a Link ecu, or Haltech. Its up to the tuner mostly but both those options will do everything I need and more. Will be one of the newer generation ecus that monitors all sorts, and works off volumetric efficiency rather than just data points and a set amount of fuel.

Car is getting a full rewire too with milspec plugs etc. Bring the electrical system a bit more up to date. Can do things like interior lights dim away rather than on and off, led lights etc.

The ITB's are actually Triumph Daytona 675 motorcycle throttles. The bikes are triple cylinder engines so you get 2 sets. They require some adjustments on the head side of them as the bikes have oval ports.

Anyone know a place to get trumpets from? Looking at MFI setups online they look to have 200mm long trumpets, or there abouts, anyone know for sure?

• 1 month later...

Quick update. A lot happening but haven't taken many photos.

Remade the door panels, I had the red rs style pull tab openers which everytime i got inside the car bugged me. So the new ones are somewhat of a RSR tribute with a leather strap.

Acquired a ducktail from a guy fairly local to me. Needed to fill some holes in it and needs to be painted.

Engine side of things is progressing, wiring guy has started ordering my sensors and the ecu, so once he has a space in his shed I should have it to him. He and the tuner will be the only ones to work on the car aside from me.

Anyway 2 quick photos -

door-new.jpg

ducktail.jpg