1976 Backdate from an Update

• 1 month later...

38289122215_a2b6111292_h.jpg

Still in need of a visit to the dyno, but I have been working on the tune to get it to a driveable state with the equipment I have. Grins from ear to ear.

Also electronically a few changes since the last update...

I now have the following - 

Link G4 STORM ECU (Previously Link G4 ATOM)
Head temp sensor - This is basically some flat bar aluminum with another bit of tube welded to it that I have threaded to screw a Bosch sensor into. The flat bar slides between the fins on the head for cylinder number 3.
Oil temp sensor - This runs in the lower pipe to the oil tank.
Oil pressure sensor - Screwed into the top of the block to the right of the breather cover.
Air temp sensor - Left hand side of the engine bay (above the ecu in the engine bay picture above).
Fuel pressure sensor - directly screwed into the fuel pressure regulator.
MAP sensor - An extra source of information for the ecu to make adjustments. Located on a bracket attached to the breather cover.

TPS - The standard Triumph Daytona TPS is being used in its stock location.
Igniter - I am using a pair of Nissan SR20 igniter packs, using three of the 4 channels on each (I had them from previous projects/cars).
Coil packs - Ford BF XR6 Turbo coils, made by VDO, look to be good quality and work reasonably well in a 4.0L Turbo 6. Also are not internally ignited which worked for my loom setup. They also have a kink in the stem that goes to the plug which suits the diagonal down hole in the Porsche heads.
Injectors - Again, Ford BF XR6 Turbo. Easy to source, plenty big enough for what I need. The rail is a pair of stock 964 rails with an fittings welded on each end.
Fuel pump - Bosch 044 (going to investigate something else, this pump is noisey!)
Crank trigger - Sourced from Clewett Engineering in the states, good quality part, easy to install and removes the dizzy.
Cam trigger/sync - Also sourced from Clewett Engineering, again good quality part, a little more involved fitment wise.
Idle control - I have a mac valve connected to a vac chamber which all the throttles also link to. This may or may not work, time will tell.

Previously I was trying to run the engine semi-sequential and with wasted spark. The new ECU has allowed me to run full sequential and direct fire ignition. Overall a MUCH better setup than before. The addition of the map sensor and fuel pressure sensors also adds some extra safety and tuning data.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 11:35 AM, neill said:

Head temp sensor - This is basically some flat bar aluminum with another bit of tube welded to it that I have threaded to screw a Bosch sensor into. The flat bar slides between the fins on the head for cylinder number 3.

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, could you post a pic (or a few) of this please?

really nice work from start to finish.

Thanks for a great read, and I'm in awe of the knowledge some people have, doing virtually everything themselves.

Congrats too on getting engaged/married/honeymoon/and first child, all in the one thread too..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just forgive my hijack of the thread, But i,m the proud new owner of Neil,s car. I,ve taken a big leap of faith in wanting something different to what i had previously.. Fun car. Now, I,m NOT a Mechanic, Panel beater. But what i do know and, haveing had the car in my possession for a little over a week. But, we on here can agree that Neil has done a remarkable job. Im extremely happy, and the car hits the workshop tomorrow to have just a couple of minor things sorted prior to rego. Kudos to you Neil on a job well done. She is in good hands. And would like to be ready for it,s first C & C in a couple of weeks.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Screenshot_20211202_081058.thumb.jpg.31f780510e3b4a97553f792cad8e9b20.jpgIMG_20200307_014333.thumb.jpg.4a298e88db1e5c93b1b1a6c194a7575f.jpgIMG_20220723_190143_746.thumb.jpg.fe3736a8947920758f8d3f8591243e56.jpgIMG_20221030_173100_110.thumb.jpg.fc651423800493cb13df30a304f4cf10.jpgIMG_20220128_023323_904.thumb.jpg.b085d361afb5e0dfd9b26274cce968c6.jpgWell, 5 years down the track & despite a teething problem or two, I have & continue to enjoy my little " Frankenstein". A few changes. I have fitted Jenvey throttle bodies, Link ECU remains. An Engine issue which has been rectified. Changed seats for more comfort. Neil must have more of a track bod than me!! Changed wheels twice, the steering wheel is Changed now & again due to mood.

On advice, instead of giving her a proper paint job, it was suggested I look at paint correction. Glad I listened. Less than 10 % of what it could have cost to repaint her. Runs, smudges, and a ceramic coating later...I am more than happy....

After taking ownership, I educated myself on the Porsche racing history. As the car was built to present as a RSR Tribute,  I decided it looks / looked too plain, therefore, applying a bit of relevance regarding period sponsors. It was an ok car when I got it. I have made it a better car, now a nice car, and in future, I hope to make it a great car.....