Got my 964

Fraz

• 4 weeks later...

Was it just the outside rubbers that slide into the metal strip?

I did this last year but need to do the inside ones which is apparently a window out job. 

I am doing them both mate. I actually ordered the wrong part, then thought I might as well do them all. 

The inside one attached to the door frame is the problem, I did not need to remove the glass to get it out, getting it back on might be a different story.:unsure:

Just waiting for the inside one to arrive, should be today.

I am doing them both mate. I actually ordered the wrong part, then thought I might as well do them all. 

The inside one attached to the door frame is the problem, I did not need to remove the glass to get it out, getting it back on might be a different story.:unsure:

Looking forward to your write up on the inside ones. I'm hoping changing these will stop the windows from rolling up wet and smeared.

For anyone about to do the outside rubbers, don't forget that they shrink maybe 1 - 1.5cm in length from the weathering.

So the trick is when installing to NOT trim to exact length, but leave the rubber at full length and compress the rubber and squash it into the fitting.  This way when it does shrink there will be no gap to let the water into the door as it drips down the window.

If anyone is looking for the inside felt fitting I have a pair that I bought new from PCM that I am happy to move on.  I'll get the part number when I get home.

Edited by D-banger

For anyone about to do the outside rubbers, don't forget that they shrink maybe 1 - 1.5cm in length from the weathering.

So the trick is when installing to NOT trim to exact length, but leave the rubber at full length and compress the rubber and squash it into the fitting.  This way when it does shrink there will be no gap to let the water into the door as it drips down the window.

If anyone is looking for the inside felt fitting I have a pair that I bought new from PCM that I am happy to move on.  I'll get the part number when I get home.

Part number is 901 531 935 20, door glass scraper inner "clip on".

As promised here is the step by step replacement for 964 window glass seals and scrapers. 

Reason for replacement, the felt type scrapers/rubber holder have a metal internal brace. Over the years it just rusts out, my concern was it would scratch the glass sooner or later.

image_zpsusptqhu1.jpg

First step is to carefully lift off the alloy strip that runs on top of the door next to the glass, mine just lifted by hand. 

Note the round holes in the door the strip clips into. These clips slide along the alloy strip moulding. The rubber seal just slides out of this alloy strip, very easy to replace. Rubber magic or silicone spray make the job even easier.

image_zps5zpmjqis.jpg

This will give you access to the problem felt scraper with the internal steel brace. Note how rusty it is. This rust is in the scarper itself not the door. I just found the clips, removed these clips and the rest just pulls out.

image_zps6imfkknb.jpg

Next, slide in the new scraper from the door latch end toward the front of the door. You won't get the scraper in next to the glass without sliding it along from the larger gap at the rear of the door first. Start clipping the scraper onto the door frame from front to rear.

image_zpsoxiptztc.jpg

image_zpswemle2tn.jpg

Push clips into door frame.

image_zpszybnuoff.jpg

image_zpsaazctf7q.jpg

Remove door trim top cover, this gives you access to the internal glass seal. It just lifts off and replace.

image_zpsnhfku3fs.jpg

All done, no scratches or damage. Porsche parts fit perfect first time, a welcome change to the Rare Spares junk I am used to.

image_zpspeqieycd.jpg

Part numbers.

91153195101 seal X2

90153193520 seal clip in X2

91153193102 Window seal x2

Thanks for the write up Fraz, nice and easy.

The par numbers you quoted are just for what you have described above (just internal felt liner)?

Where did you purchase from? 

Sorry for the late reply mate.

I ended up replacing all the window seals and scrapers in the glass opening of the door, However the offending "rusting" scrapper is 90153193520 at $150+ they are an expensive little number. You can buy non genuine EBay etc a lot cheaper, however I noticed some of the pictures the non genuine scraper was missing the felt. Therefore it would be a pointless exercise.

I get all my parts from Porsche Centre Doncaster, if you contact Sean he is the Parts manager (03) 8849-8588 and tell him you got the number off me. Sean said he would help out any member of PFA should anyone require parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I have worked though the maintenance and a few minor mechanical issues, it's time for the cosmetic stuff.

The front bar had some cracks in the paint when I got the car, having mates in the panel game it's time to get it fixed  

Off with the bar, so original under here with not accident damage. ? Always a bit of a worry with a 25 year old car.

image_zpsxxt830ek.jpg

Paint work on front bar to be repaired, sorry about the massive close up. It's not that bad but just doing my head in.

image_zpsav4d7kca.jpg

When looking up how the bumper came off, I came across that the ballast resistors in the A/C and oil cooler fan are prone to failure due to heat and age. Thought I would check them while the bar was off, yep stuffed. So glad I found this now, would hate  to take the bar off again.

image_zpsykwtpcdq.jpg