F6 Project

So this is a project that my youngest son has had going for over a year now.

It's well documented that some people are afflicted by boost disease and just cannot get enough.

After an engine failure running too much boost a piston ring failed and caused this

A new engine was needed

along with mechanical fuel pump

and other goodies, fat rods

vernier adjustable cam drive

Cosworth F1 flat top pistons

copper head gasket with fire rings and cylinder head porting with modified injector bosses

standard crankshaft balanced and dowelled

Atomic race series Hi-Mass harmonic balancer

Stage 5 camshafts and 14.3 mm headstuds

engine installation

It's expected that the engine will make in excess of 1350 horsepower when tuned to run ethanol accompanied by this turbo

More updates to follow.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about throwing a leg outta bed! That rod is mangled... ?

big big power potential these motors, a mate of mine had one in his TE cortina, that car ran high 8's mini tubbed.

The motor is going into a tube chassis mustang now... I think he said he wants to go into the 6 sec zone with it. 

Talk about throwing a leg outta bed! That rod is mangled... ?

big big power potential these motors, a mate of mine had one in his TE cortina, that car ran high 8's mini tubbed.

The motor is going into a tube chassis mustang now... I think he said he wants to go into the 6 sec zone with it. 

Would love to see that Edgey, going fast in a straight line doesn't do much for me but the power thing is crazy.

all that damage caused by piston ring failure is like saying WW2 was caused by someone leaving the toilet seat up

Yeah I know what you are saying Steve but without running a root cause analysis it was probably the start of it all.

And is this why you haven't gotten around to fixing your 944 yet? B)

Rob the 944 should be running tomorrow.

Oh how much cheaper fords are to play with! 

I'm not so sure Pauly, there's been some silly dollars thrown around.

Not to much happening at the moment, waiting on an exhaust manifold to be completed and working out how to shoe horn a bigger radiator in because more coolant is required because the bottom half of the block is filled with grout.

Adjustable fuel regulator

B&M Pro street bandit shifter

big ass intercooler

Not going to be road registered, I'd guess?  (But I've been wrong before...)

Yes Rob road rego, not a daily driver anymore.

I think that engine would make Porsches look cheap!

looking good, hoping for more updates

I think you might be right on this one Russ.

I think so Russ, the aim is a low 9s pass, current fastest street FG (6 turbo) on a radial 17inch tyre is around 9.6, aiming for as close to the 9.0 as possible. In early 2014 it ran 11.40, with only 3 gears working properly from the factory ZF 6 spd auto, the car previously had 600+rwhp @20+psi, was too much at the track with slicks on at the time (gearbox slipping and major flaring), if the gearbox was behaving it would of ran mid to low 10's. The new setup will be able to push over 1000rwhp, and accompanied with the TH400 3 speed and a transbrake, should see that low to mid 9. I think the Snowy Mountain run or whatever it is called would be a good run for it, give it a bit of a shake i think.

• 7 months later...

Just a few more photos to add, been a few setbacks with gearbox and stall converter tolerances and fuel system parts.

5" dump pipe to 4" dump back exhaust.

Heaps more photos to come.

Just a few more photos to add, been a few setbacks with gearbox and stall converter tolerances and fuel system parts.

20150927_223400.jpg

20150927_220038.jpg

20151001_221725.jpg

20151001_222356.jpg

20151003_160642.jpg

20151003_180913.jpg

20151003_182437.jpg

20151003_193143.jpg

20151004_135722.jpg

20151004_231245.jpg

4inch%20exhaust%203.jpg

4inch%20exhaust.jpg

5" dump pipe to 4" dump back exhaust.

Heaps more photos to come.

They look like Triclover clamps.  I use them a lot when I'm designing piping installations, but never thought of using them for that.  i presume he's not using the standard rubber gaskets?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's been a long time coming and after some setbacks and an eye watering offer for the car, the engine has been fired up, just had a phone call from my son on his way home from Sydney and all seems to be ok so far, the engine is running fine and temps etc are all good so far.

Has some video to show me, apparently the car is fairly quiet, which is a good thing.

I did say that a Haltech ECU would be running this beast but he has opted for a Motec instead. The car will be future proofed as far as the wiring loom goes to be able to fit more sensors to the car in the future.

It's early days at the moment and it will be a couple of weeks until it is up and running properly and then a run in period for the engine will take place on 98 unleaded then on to ethanol eventually, i'll try and get some pics or a video for those that are interested.

Archived